Pre-Ops Today and Very Good News | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Ops Today and Very Good News Pre-Ops Today and Very Good News

Unread 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Pre-Ops Today and Very Good News

I had my pre-ops today for my July 3 TAH. The reason they were so early is today was originally my POST-op date on my June 6 lap surgery, but when we had to change our plan the office just changed the appointment and kept the time since it's hard to rebook with my dr. The hospital had an opening too.

I spent 45 minutes just talking with my dr and getting my questions answered. I whipped out my list so I wouldn't forget anything, too.

1. My pre-op orders stated TAH and BSO. In our discussion he said my ovaries looked healthy during the lap and wanted to see how I felt about keeping them if possible (that is my preference). We have decided this is what we will do if he finds no problems after opening me up. If one is good and the other isn't, he will keep the good one. I understand I could wake up and not have any, and signed consent to that effect. Since my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was pre-menopausal, he wants to keep an eye on my ovaries as a "just in case" - I'll continue to see him yearly for breast checks and ovary checks but no more PAPS since he will take my cervix too.

2. I got to look at the photos he took during my lap. I have an "8 week" uterus and two good-sized fibroids on the outside. One is in the back and it is the one interfering with my bowel. I also a good sized scar tissue on the front which is attached to the fibroid on the right. He feels he can go in through my bikini C-section scar and get everything.

3. I have a white substance on the outside of my uterus which is probably from the high doses of Provera. He biopsied it and it is negative. My pap was also NEG as was my mammogram. Three negs make a very big positive for me

4. Both the drs office and the hospital agreed to wait for their deposits until my new Flexible Spending Account year starts on July 1st - just in time for my surgery. And my hubby has picked us up on his new insurance for July 1st also, so for just about 2 months I will be double covered - going to see what might get paid on the other one too. Even though it is a pre-existing condition, many insurance companies will pay if you can show continued coverage. We'll see, anyway. I will see it as a bonus and not a given

4. AND THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL LADIES ON THIS SITE......I knew about the On-Q pump system for pain relief. He knew of it also and called over to the hospital.....AND THEY DO USE IT ON REQUEST AND I GET IT !!!!
This is great news as he does not use the PCA pump and prefers either to give pain meds in the IV or as a shot when needed. I hate shots!!!! I told him I wanted to manage without narcotics and at best, preferred them by mouth for the shortest time possible. He agreed that most of the pain comes from the incision site and the On-Q would be a good choice. YIPPEE !!!!

I don't have the website address for those of you who would like more information about On-Q, but I'm sure someone will come along with it, or you can do a Google or forum search here.

This has been a good day.

Now if I can jsut get all the stuff on my lists done by my surgery date and at least get some down time the night before LOL !!!

The support here has been great and I thank you all so much !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2008, 06:59 PM

I go in tomorrow morning at 6am. I also get the On Q pain management. I hear this makes recovery much easier the first three to five days. Take care!
Unread 06-23-2008, 07:01 PM

Sounds like a perfect pre op appt!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2008, 07:55 PM

Christy, let us know how your On-Q worked - happy trip to the castle
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:03 PM

I forgot - no bowel prep - just a light meal the night before, and also a private hospital room - that's all the hospital has It's on the Women's floor, too.
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:19 PM

Wow, sounds like a very good pre-op! And no bowel prep to boot!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register