6 days post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post-op 6 days post-op

Unread 12-04-2012, 06:05 AM
6 days post-op

Hello-I am brand new to this group . I have several questions for the forum:
1) I live alone and have been off pain meds for awhile. All that I've read says do not drive too soon. But I have to--what are the risks? I know that I should not push a shopping cart--and my errands do not include a trip to Walmart!!
2) Can I wear a back support around the waist rather than ordering the special one on this website?
3) Exercise-I live in a tri-level so have to go up and down flights of stairs many many times a day-what should I be aware of?
4) Doing laundry-any tips here? I have to figure this out on my own.
5) Finally, how do I post a pic to my profile?
Thanks you sisters! P.S. Today I am 6 days post-op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Re: 6 days post-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower97 View Post
Hello-I am brand new to this group . I have several questions for the forum:
1) I live alone and have been off pain meds for awhile. All that I've read says do not drive too soon. But I have to--what are the risks? I know that I should not push a shopping cart--and my errands do not include a trip to Walmart!!
2) Can I wear a back support around the waist rather than ordering the special one on this website?
3) Exercise-I live in a tri-level so have to go up and down flights of stairs many many times a day-what should I be aware of?
4) Doing laundry-any tips here? I have to figure this out on my own.
5) Finally, how do I post a pic to my profile?
Thanks you sisters! P.S. Today I am 6 days post-op.
Hello and Welcome. This group has been a wonderful resource for me = knowledge, information and venting = )

1. I was told once I was off the narcotic pain meds I could drive. I did yesterday a short distance with a small pillow between me and the seatbelt. Still felt a little weak and unsure. I don't think I will drive a distance for a while. Bummer since I live 30+ min. to the biggest city. Small town shopping for me in the near future. If you go to the store, ask if they have assistance for the cart. Be SURE to have them sack groceries in small bags (per your weight limit). Some grocery stores also offer home order/deliveries!!?
2. Belly binder, no experience. I even find fitting under garments uncomfortable.
3. I was not told of stair limitations but some recommend none for the first 2 weeks. When I was released from hospital next day I HAD to take stairs to either level of home. The first few days I did limit only because I felt bad and only made trips to bathroom. I feel that since we are used to stairs its not out of the norm and our body is used to that. I still walk up and down them gingerly. For exercise, they recommend walk, walk, walk.
4. Laundry: I got one of those grabber things so I don't reach into machines. I take one thing out of wash/dryer at a time. I fold in laundry area and take folded items to respective areas rathter than all at once.
5. No idea, sorry.

Prayers to you for a speedy recover.
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickuennen View Post
1. I was told once I was off the narcotic pain meds I could drive. I did yesterday a short distance with a small pillow between me and the seatbelt. Still felt a little weak and unsure. I don't think I will drive a distance for a while. Bummer since I live 30+ min. to the biggest city. Small town shopping for me in the near future. If you go to the store, ask if they have assistance for the cart. Be SURE to have them sack groceries in small bags (per your weight limit). Some grocery stores also offer home order/deliveries!!?
Check with your doctor. I was off of narcotic pain relievers after about a week and still had to wait until I was 3 weeks post-op before I was cleared to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickuennen View Post
3. I was not told of stair limitations but some recommend none for the first 2 weeks. When I was released from hospital next day I HAD to take stairs to either level of home. The first few days I did limit only because I felt bad and only made trips to bathroom. I feel that since we are used to stairs its not out of the norm and our body is used to that. I still walk up and down them gingerly. For exercise, they recommend walk, walk, walk.
The "fear of stairs" is bizarre. My doctor was very cautious yet he never mentioned it. I took the stairs very slowly for the first 2 weeks or so and held onto the railing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Thanks so much!
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Thanks-I have no trouble with stairs-in fact I started a log of the # of times I go up and down either one flight or two flights. I am counting this as my exercise because I am not getting out and walking quite yet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register