Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-06-2002, 05:46 PM
Help!

I talked with the hospital registration office yesterday - all they wanted was my insurance information. Then they dropped the bomb that I was scheduled for out patient surgery. I am having a TVH with A&P repairs and will go home with a cathether for about 2 weeks. I called my doctor's office who said no - I should expect 4 days. I called the hospital again, and again they said no, it was out patient surgery - that's what the doctor's office put on their form.

To make matters worse, I haven't been called yet to schedule any pre-op testing. The hospital said they would call late next week to let me know what time to show up. I am the kind of person who needs information and wants to know what to expect. My surgery is a week from Friday. Even if they gave me some idea, I would feel better. No dice, I must wait. Because of my continuing bladder / kidney problems I would have thought they wouldn't want to wait until the day of surgery to do a urine analysis.

To top things off, my boss took everyone to lunch and was making jokes about me being on the "disabled list," and told our new intern that she should treat this like the major leagues and make the most of her turn at bat. I think she may be measuring my office for drapes.

I think I may run off to Aruba. I hear it's nice there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2002, 05:55 PM
Help!

I'm sorry that you are going through this. I too am having surgery on the 14th. I will be staying in the hospital 2 days for my TAH/BSO. I hope all will go well for you. I will keep you in my prayers.
Unread 06-06-2002, 05:55 PM
Can I go with you to Aruba???

If you run away to Aruba, can I go with you!!! I hear it's more fun when you go with someone! I'm ready to turn tale and run!!! I just had my pre-op today. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting!! But the day is drawing closer, and I'm just run amok with emotions, mostly the crying ones!!

Hang in there! It's almost over!! If you don't get the answer you need or like, call your doctor and ask him to please explain this to you. After all, he is making a lot of money, so you should be able to get some pretty good service from him!!!

Good Luck! You are in my prayers!

's!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2002, 06:07 PM
Help!

Your at the worse part right now, the week before. I wanted to cancell my surgery too. You have way too much time to think about things.

First of all, you will not be sent home from the hospital. I was listed as a day patient for my TAH/BSO until I arrived in post-op. That is how the hospital cuts down on costs and paperwork. They admit you threw day surgery and then send you to the floor after the surgery. Everyone of my surgeries (5 in all) have been like that. Your insurance and the hospital bills will all be worked out. Try not to worry too much about them. Red tape can drive you nuts. Your pre-op testing will be the day or two before the surgery and they do not make that schedule until the a few days before that so they really cant give you a day or time even though I know you really feel that you need to have it. I did too.

Second, your very wound up right now and will take things that are said as jokes as hurtful digs most of the time. If your boss really offends you by all means say something. Behind closed doors you could say something like, I know you are trying to keep me smiling with jokes but I'm very nervous and going threw something quite serious right now and would appreciate it if you would not say these things. If he know anything about law and harrasement he'll stop.

Third, you are covered by the family medical leave act while youare out for recovery so she may measure your windows but she'll be hanging those drapes in someone elses office so let her worry her little head about the future not you.

Take a deep breath, go for a long walk, take a nice bath (you wont be able to do that for a while) and just enjoy the days between now and surgery. You will go threw with it, and you will do fine. Unfortunately, you just wont be doing it in Aruba.
Unread 06-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Help!

Thanks, I appreciate you prayer and words of kindness. I don't know what I would do without this site. I think I had visions of sitting in the parking lot in a wheel chair waiting for someone to schlepp me home. I still think still Aruba has its appeal...I will take anyone who wants to go with me.
Unread 06-06-2002, 06:44 PM
Don't worry.......

HI,
I just wanted to let you know that my doctor's office thoroughly explained to me that when I go to admitting, I will start out in day surgery, and that most do. After the surgery, is when they will move you to the surgical suites. Even the hospital told me this is where I need to go for my pre-op testing... day surgery.
On the pre-op testing note,.. if you haven't heard from them, then you call them. I was told I needed to call and set up the appt., and just for the record,.. I ALWAYS follow up by calling,.. you just can't leave these things up to them to get done, nor in a timely manner. I tell everyone,... always, ALWAYS follow-up with your own phone calls,.. to your doctor, to your ins., and to the hospital, and if whomever does not satisfy your questions or needs,.. ask to speak to someone else (and just another note, JMO too, is always write down their names!),... you deserve quality care and to be informed. Take charge,.. this is YOUR quality of life, this is YOUR body, and you have every right to be be fully educated in all the 'goings on' and procedures, policies, and the like... You need to take control,.. pick up the phone and start demanding some answers.... not to mention respect.
Best of luck... here's a Please let us know what you find out and how everything goes, okay?
Sorry to be so blunt, but I KNOW how hard it can be to get answers,............ even more so if you don't ask and don't lay some pressure on for them.
You CAN do it!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register