Hysterectomy this morning (Aug 2nd): gas | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy this morning (Aug 2nd):  gas Hysterectomy this morning (Aug 2nd): gas

Unread 08-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Hysterectomy this morning (Aug 2nd): gas

Hi ladies! I had my hysterectomy this morning and this trapped gas is so so uncomfortable! It's in my side,my shoulder and my whole mid section. I know that this normal but does anyone have any tips? I'm using gas x,walking a lot and heating pads. How long does this usually last? My 1 hour surgery ended up being 4.5 hours due to my 18cm uterus that the ultrasound tech measured as 11! I also had endometriosis that I was unaware of and 4 golf ball sized fibroids. I hope you're all doing well! Also, when I woke up I had an Iv in my hand and my thumb and 3 fingers on my left hand are numb. I can move them and feel hot and cold but they're slightly numb. The nurses said the anesthesiologist must have hit a nerve when he put the iv in my hand. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojobee View Post
Hi ladies! I had my hysterectomy this morning and this trapped gas is so so uncomfortable! It's in my side,my shoulder and my whole mid section. I know that this normal but does anyone have any tips? I'm using gas x,walking a lot and heating pads. How long does this usually last? My 1 hour surgery ended up being 4.5 hours due to my 18cm uterus that the ultrasound tech measured as 11! I also had endometriosis that I was unaware of and 4 golf ball sized fibroids. I hope you're all doing well! Also, when I woke up I had an Iv in my hand and my thumb and 3 fingers on my left hand are numb. I can move them and feel hot and cold but they're slightly numb. The nurses said the anesthesiologist must have hit a nerve when he put the iv in my hand. Has anyone else experienced this?
I had the gas really bad when I had my gallbladder out this spring. The best thing for me was the gasx. I bought the highest simethicone dosage I could find. 250mg i think it was. Started it immediately this go around, and so far I'm doing well one that front.
Are you walking? That will he'll as well. Google parastalsys (sp? It's way too early)

PT
Unread 08-03-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadoo33 View Post
I had the gas really bad when I had my gallbladder out this spring. The best thing for me was the gasx. I bought the highest simethicone dosage I could find. 250mg i think it was. Started it immediately this go around, and so far I'm doing well one that front.
Are you walking? That will he'll as well. Google parastalsys (sp? It's way too early)

PT
Hi :-) I am doing a lot of walking! I have taken gasx twice but I'll hit that a little harder and see if it helps! I will Google that (I'm sure you spelled it better than I would have lol) I hope you have a healthy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2017, 06:56 AM

If your surgery was laparoscopic as mine was, the gas in your shoulder is from what's orally pumped into your abdomen for these procedures, and should work its way out over the next week or so. In addition to regular walks, a heating pad and Gas X, try peppermint tea or fennel seeds, either eaten straight or steeped in hot water for a delicious tea; they act as carminatives, breaking up the gas so it's easier to expel. And speaking of expelling gas, don't try to be polite and hold it in; just let it go, and you'll feel so much better afterwards! Also avoid gassy foods; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, prunes, and artificial sweeteners. Peristalsis refers to the normal muscular contractions that move stuff through the GI tract; if that's slowed down due to constipation, that can cause gas to become trapped in your colon, so getting things moving can help. In addition to the above tips, have some ground flaxseeds, and magnesium rich leafy greens, pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate. Best wishes for getting the gas out quickly!
Unread 08-03-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojobee View Post
Hi :-) I am doing a lot of walking! I have taken gasx twice but I'll hit that a little harder and see if it helps! I will Google that (I'm sure you spelled it better than I would have lol) I hope you have a healthy recovery!
Now that I look at it again, I think it's peristalsis. Pain meds make thinking and typing difficult. Add auto correct to that and its a mess.
Unread 08-03-2017, 08:47 AM
Re: Hysterectomy this morning (8/2): Post op gas

Good Morning,
I also used a heating pad for gas pain and also I got the nurse to put a pillow behind my back to tilt me on my left side a little to help with the release of the gas pain. I hope that you get some relief today and are able to get some well needed sleep. I never knew about gas x, which is nice to know about. Thank you
Unread 08-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Yep. One doctor recommended it, another said it wouldn't help. I felt like it did, so I'm doing it again. Having a better time with this go around. You want you get the highest dose of simethicone you can find. I found 250. And it comes in a cvs brand as well so it was a little cheaper.
Unread 08-03-2017, 02:43 PM

Thankfully my gas seems to be affecting my lower belly mostly. I just got home. Was going to try and shower but I'm going to wait until tomorrow. I'm bleeding from both ends right now. My posterior repair feels ok so far.
Unread 08-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
Thankfully my gas seems to be affecting my lower belly mostly. I just got home. Was going to try and shower but I'm going to wait until tomorrow. I'm bleeding from both ends right now. My posterior repair feels ok so far.
I waited the extra day to shower also, but it felt good getting one this morning.
What did you have done?
Unread 08-03-2017, 04:00 PM

I had laparoscopic hysterectomy, taking everything except ovaries with anterior and posterior repairs

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register