Vaginal hysterectomy and prolapse repair | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy and prolapse repair Vaginal hysterectomy and prolapse repair

Unread 08-16-2017, 09:17 AM
Vaginal hysterectomy and prolapse repair

Hi all - I'm new to the group and not 100% sure of the correct medical terms - but I had a vaginal hysterectomy and prolapse repair on my bowel and bladder with another stitch at the top of my vagina on August 8. I left hospital on August 13.

My query is around passing urine and what is "normal" pain.

In hospital I had a lot of trouble peeing after the catheter was removed - even though they were measuring what I peed and then scanned to see what was left in my bladder and didn't think it was a problem. I was tested for but do not have a UTI.

The pain is like your totally busting - but it only dribbles out (big pain as it finally gets to dribble bit) and you never have complete relief.

In hospital they knew this was how I felt but seemed ok with it and sent me home. I have had no improvement in the peeing department since then - 3 full days ago. I only ever manage a maximum of two hours without having to attempt to dribble some more out - even at night.

Is this all "normal" for my front and back repair - do I need to wait longer for any swelling to subside and it will improve eventually - or is this not "normal" and I should ring my surgeon and tell him?

With thanks for any advice. Tanya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Re: Vaginal hysterectomy and prolapse repair

and

Though I can't speak to the prolapse repair, I experienced bladder spasms from surgical shock as many Sisters do. Feelings can range from "being asleep" to not emptying properly to having pain. Yes, it can feel like a UTI. I had a difficult time starting and maintaining a stream, and also didn't feel like I emptied completely. I guess they lasted about 2 weeks for me. If you have increasing pain or they're not decreasing in frequency, ask your doctor about a prescription to help with the spasms.

Here are some of my favorite resources to help guide you through these early weeks:Also, check out your Recovery Thread at Recovery Progress Reports for Aug 7-13. Recovery Threads are dedicated threads for women who had surgery the same week as you. They are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, and encouraging others.

Rest well!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register