incision care | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incision care incision care

Unread 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
incision care

I noticed someone mentioned in a post that their doctor said not to do straight peroxide. My dr didn't send me home with any directions about incision care. My papers say to notify dr if it was red, infected, etc. I think mine are looking a little more red today than the other days, but isn't a little bit normal? They don't look infected. Anyone else having incision issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Re: incision care

Lisa

Hopefully your incision is doing better by now. I had redness but never any oozing or warmth around it.

Of course if you are concerned giving the doctor a ring wouldn't hurt.

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:40 PM

One of my lap Incisions opened a tiny bit. My surgeon said to wash it daily with warm soapy water gently (basically in the shower), dry and apply a dry bandaid or bandage over and to call if there are sign a of infection such as increased drainage, redness or fever. I would not use peroxide even diluted as that will work against healing. I am a nurse and we stopped using peroxide on most wounds some years ago. Some redness or pink around the edges is normal. If your incisions are more red, could just be part of the healing process or they may have been irritated by clothing or something. Just keep an eye out and call if you have concerns. Just keep them clean and dry. Moisture invites bacteria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM

My doctor told me to clean my incision with peroxide and then to pat it dry with a clean gauze pad. She told me to do this after my staples were removed on Tuesday but not before then. Check with your doctor to see what they recommend.
Unread 07-01-2010, 06:45 PM

My incision was glued. I waited until the glue was gone and I applied Mederma for scars. I can not believe how great it looks. I had surgery 4 weeks ago and probably waited 1 1/2 weeks before applying it. Dr said it looked great!!!
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:06 AM

I second what CMT said. I'm a nurse and don't have peroxide in my house or office- I'm a school nurse. Soap and water is the way to go!

Holly in south jersey
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM

i've done daily cleaning in the shower using just soap/water -- no scrubbing or picking or digging at it. but my small incision is in my navel, and due to this heat it's almost impossible to keep the area clean and dry. sweat, and the fact that the skin folds around itself there are my two big enemies. my healing has been slow. doc saw it yesterday (5 weeks, 3 days post-op) and pulled out two loose stitches. tugged a third, but let go when i made an ouchy-face. (felt like a bee sting, that one!)

is there anything i can do to help it heal faster? i haven't had any redness, but do see the area get somewhat oozy. no other irritation, other than sensitive skin on my abdomen. anyone else with navel incisions taking extra long to heal?

doc said she thought it was fine, and would feel better as the stitches work their way out of the skin over the next few weeks. huh, i thought they'd be gone by now!

doc said not to massage it with any lotion or oils until the stitches are gone.

tips?????

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register