length of hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

length of hospital stay length of hospital stay

Unread 05-03-2003, 08:16 PM
length of hospital stay

I am going to the Doc. on May 20 to schedule my hysterectomy. From what people I know here (Kentucky) who have had one they stay one night and go home the next day. Most of the posts I have read here have two or three day hospital stays. They also have not mentioned a morphine pump or the pain being as bad as I have read in some of the posts. I know the Doc. will answer my questions on the 20th but I am just curious now. I am starting to get really nervous about having this done and being able to handle the pain. I don't know yet what type of hysterectomy my Doc. will be doing and maybe that makes a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2003, 09:10 PM
length of hospital stay

My Dr. said that I could stay one night in the hospital and If I was up to it I could go home the next day. She also said that I will have a morphine pump for the first 24 hours. She also said that I could stay longer depending on how I do during the surgery and If she has to do the abdominal cut. If so then I will be there for 4 days. Hoping for a short stay I don't really like hospitals. Best of luck on your surgery.
Unread 05-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi from KY

Hello. I had a TVH/BSO on Apr. 9. I spent 2 nights in the hospital & came home early the morning of the 3rd day. I think the length of your hospital stay will depend greatly on which way the surgery is done. I was told that if he had to cut me, I'd be in the hospital a couple of days longer.

Also, I had a Demerol pump for pain. Didn't really need it I don't think, but it was there if I did. Just be sure if you have one that you use it if you need to. And don't wait until the pain has gotten too bad or it won't help as much.

Don't know if we're anywhere near each other or not, but hope this helped.

God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2003, 09:31 PM
length of hospital stay

I was told that the main reason for longer (3 night) hospital stays is for infection watching .... they went with what my insurance would cover for the nights I would stay. I did have the pump for the initial hours, but didn't use it, so they removed it and let me do oral. So, I think you'll be able to manage the pain with either.

Best of luck!
Unread 05-03-2003, 09:47 PM
length of hospital stay

Hello fellow Kentuckian,
I'm scheduled for surgery on 06/04. I'm have a TAH/BSO and was told I'll be staying in the hospital 2 nights getting out on 06/06 if all goes well. My doctor did mention the pump for pain relief and told me not to worry about the pain because this would keep it very tolerable for me. (Hope he's right). I know that every procedure and doctor is different. Good Luck! I'll say a prayer for you on your surgery date.
Unread 05-04-2003, 07:24 AM
length of hospital stay

Dear KYbanker: After talking to others who have had hysts, I feel like I had the shortest stay of anyone. I often call my operation a drive-thru hysterectomy. My operation lasted from 6 to 9 pm on Monday and I was home in my bed at 9 pm Tuesday. I was never on a morphine pump. My first real memory of waking up in my hospital bed was around midnight Monday. I told the nurse I needed something, and she gave me one shot of morphine in my IV. That's the only morphine I remember getting through the whole thing.
I was sent home with a catheter for 7 days and with a number of meds to take, including vicodin for pain if I needed it. Since my surgery on 4/14, I have only taken 3 vicodin. I did develop a urinary infection and a bladder infection from the catheter, but by calling the doc, I was able to get meds to clear them up.
I'm not saying this is easy. Every day is a learning experience, and I listen to my body constantly to see what's wrong and if I need to call the doc. But I'm getting thru it, and I pray that you will too. Best wishes to you, Aunt May
Unread 05-04-2003, 01:41 PM
length of hospital stay

My DR got me approved for a two night stay (operate Wednesday, discharge on Friday) because she was assuming I could have an epi. I reviewed with her why this wasn't a good idea so I'm having a general-A. She said I'll probably need another night in the hospital because of this so I'm not to expect to discharge until Saturday. I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be home on Friday, though, or maybe sooner!

While in the Castle, we have to experiment with my pain control meds. There are a lot of meds I can't have so I have no idea what I'll end up on.

In short, everyone is different. I hope things go very well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register