What did you pack that you DIDN"T use or need? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What did you pack that you DIDN"T use or need? What did you pack that you DIDN"T use or need?

Unread 05-08-2007, 06:42 AM
What did you pack that you DIDN"T use or need?

As a lifetime member of the "I pack wayy too much society", I'm trying to be more practical when packing for the castle. What did you ladies pack, but NOT need or use? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 07:13 AM

I packed my giggle pillow for the ride home, toothpaste/brush, facial cleansers, robe, ipod, magazines, pocket poker, baby size shampoo and conditioner.
I wore loose fitting clothes going there so I did not pack any additional clothes. I was going by the list in the Hyster Book and decided against make-up. Its a good thing...I could of cared less about that.
I did not use my Ipod, Pocket poker, Magazines, shampoo/conditioner or my robe. When I had to walk, I just used another hospital gown and put in on backwards so I was totally covered and I was not weighed down by heavy fabric. I was not offered a shower.

I just slept alot so I really did not care about being entertained by the other stuff.

Good Luck with your SX. When you get home..the pain meds make you think your feeling better than you really are and you can find yourself doing more and suffering for it later. Rest alot please so you do not compromise your recovery.
Unread 05-08-2007, 07:53 AM

I didn't pack anything. I took along toothbrush/toothpaste and that was it. I figured they would have anything else I needed. I wore home the clothes that I went in, which were jammies.
Don't know if that helps any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 08:18 AM

I used the list they have here, but truthfully didn't really use that much.

I was in hospital gown the whole time, wore same clothes there and back.

I had brought book,puzzle books etc - didn't touch anything as couldn't concentrate worth a darn... wasn't even all that interested in the trashy mags my friends brought (people, US weekly etc) just basically looked at the pictures. I hardly even watched TV as that too takes a lot of concentration...

I did use my overnight toiletries the 2nd day when i took a shower, although they had all of that so not totally necessary

Glad I had brought my deodorant, toothbrush/paste, hair brush, ponytail holder/scrunchy/clip, lip balm and my own slippers

One of the biggest, most useful suggestions is having oversized panties they were an absolute godsend for dealing with swelly belly etc... they were nice and loose and I didn't care if stuff got on them...
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:54 AM

I took:
Robe
eye mask
ear plugs
tooth paste/ brush
shampoo/conditioner/deodorant/ face wash pads
shower cap (you won't feel up to dealing with wet hair)
slippers ((did not use))
books/magazines ((did not use))
cell phone
travel pillow with zippered case (kept cell phone inside)
lip balm
thorat drops
GUM (MUST HAVE)
Pj Gown (much more comfy then the hospital gown)
I wore my 2 pc pj's to the hospital so I wore them home as well
Paper/pen, used for notes or questions for the doctor when she finally came to see me
Hand lotion
Pudding (helps with the weird taste in your mouth from the meds)
Pony tail holder

hope that helps a little, I over packed as well, but I was glad that I did, because once your there you will never know what you might want, I was there 4 days/3 nights...
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:05 AM

The only things I did not use were a crossword puzzle book, gum and breathsavers. I used everything else. Will post on the appropriate board what I did pack.
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:06 AM

Diverchick....we're scheduled for the same castle date. I bought my travel toiletries from Wal-Mart last weekend, but I don't want to overpack either. My 19 DS just told me yesterday that he took the day of my surgery and the next day off of work so he can bring me things I need like food/ipod/etc. That was so sweet, because I never asked him to do that..he's growing up. I'm shopping this weekend for some loose fitting casual clothes for the recovery weeks. For the LIW, I'm curious, is this upcoming surgery about the only thing you can really think about? I'm at work, trying to do work and then I keep coming back to these boards. LOL

Sandy
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverchick
As a lifetime member of the "I pack wayy too much society", I'm trying to be more practical when packing for the castle. What did you ladies pack, but NOT need or use? Thanks!
I didn't use ANYTHING I packed except my slippers. I bought these cute lil pajamas to wear in the castle and they never left my bag (it was so much easier wearing the loose hospital gown, especially when the nurse or doc wanted to come in to examine the incisions). I would say pack a comfy pair of non skid slippers 'cause you are going to need to walk as soon as possible. Bring a good book or magazine (although I didn't feel too much like reading).
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:55 AM

I took along a short nightgown that I did not use. They provided the gowns with the accessible sleeves to go over my IV, etc. I couldn't have used my gown.

I used a couple of the helpful lists from here but packed lightly. I was glad I had used a gallon-sized ziploc bag for my stuff that I did bring along, so I didn't have to paw through it to find what I wanted. I also brought a little overnight bag. I had brought a short flannel nightgown to go over my hospital gown for when they walked me.

I was glad I brought my cell phone. I just kept it on the bed tray and it was handy when someone called or I felt like calling. I stayed just one night at the castle.

I also brought my own toothbrush and toothpaste although they provided one. Just was glad to use my own. I brought my own grannie panties and that was nice for me. Also I had brought some Altoids mints, the dark-chocolate covered ones. Once I could keep down my clear liquids, having one of those sure was nice.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:56 AM

Funny, I don't remember all that I took, but I remember what I used.

Slippers
chapstick
Gas X
toothbrush and paste
hair brush
Night gown, changed in to the 2nd night, felt good to have my own gown on
underwear
socks
robe
cell phone, they said not to use it, I did and they never said to not use it again
Lotion
Make up, and I put it on for the trip home. I felt great the 3rd day and wanted to look it too.
I wore home the clothes I wore there and bought those cute Ked's slip on sneakers. I love them. Comfortable clothes, loose fitting, no buttons = good idea!

There was a big white dry erase board in my castle room. The nurses and assts. all had their names on there and they would change it as they changed shifts, it had the date and at what time I last had my meds. That was very helpful to see that, kept me up to speed with routine as I was so groggy. There was also a big clock and I liked being able to see the time so clearly.

Best wishes!

Sandra

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register