New, unsure, undiagnosed? Maybe a fibroid? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New, unsure, undiagnosed?  Maybe a fibroid? New, unsure, undiagnosed? Maybe a fibroid?

Unread 05-05-2006, 10:26 AM
New, unsure, undiagnosed? Maybe a fibroid?

Hi! First off, I must say this is the greatest website ever! Now, here is my story up to this point. I am 37. I started my period regularly when I was 9 years old! I have always been a heavy bleeder. I have gone thru time periods in my life where I have had spotting every day for a month, I have had times where I couldn't leave the house for 7 days for fear of a leaking disaster. I have also had normal months, with just a seven days of bleeding with 2 of them real heavy, but then average. I have had ovarian cysts since I was in my late teens. I tried BC pills for a short time to no avail. I have had a few non cancerous things removed from my cervix through the years. I had my tubes tied 10 years ago, because they thought it would help with the cysts. In the last year I have had a couple of times where I wasn't sure if I should go to the ER because of the heavy bleeding, but decided not to because I didn't know if I should, I didn't know if I had ruptured something inside and was bleeding to death. I didn't die the first time, so I figured it would be ok the next times. WEll, now I have some kind of growth holding open my cervix and what looks like a fibroid in my uterus. I have had lower back pain, kinda like cramps except constant, (like underneath my hip bones above my bum) for all my life that the doc, chiropractor and massage therapist couldn't cure or find a problem with. SOooo, anyway, I am scheduled to see the surgeon next Fri 5/12. A lot of women I have talked to say this is a for sure hysterectomy. I want one, but yet I don;'t know if this warrants one. I mean some of you seem to have far more suffering than I, but for 2-3 weeks out of every month I am a mess, mentally and physically. I can be a real nut job at times with PMS symptoms. DOes anyone think that I could be a candidate for a hyst., or has anyone had anything similar to this. I can't stand waiting to find out and mean while I am having spontaneous bleeding AGAIN. Oh, did I mentiong the wierd things that have been going on with my bladder? I feel like I am coming down with a bladder infection, but I gettested and it isn't one. when I stand up or walk fast or go up and down stairs there is pain and pressure on my bladder, or the tube that comes out of it. When I do go it feels like I still have to. What do you think? I am going nuts. I am one of those people who likes to have things planned out and know what is coming next, a bit OCD maybe? Please offer any thoughts, recommendation etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2006, 11:04 AM

Welcome to the site!

It sounds like you have had a rough time.

I highly recommend you make a list of all your questions to take with you to your dr's appointment. And before having a hyst, do get a second opinion. You may find it helpful to read through our Pre Op section to give you an idea of the various types of hysts and questions you may wish to tak to your surgeon about: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_pre.htm.

Depending on what your diagnosis is, there may be options or alternatives to having a hyst, so do be aware of them so you can ask your dr if something other than a hyst will help you: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_opt.htm.

This site is a woman to woman support site for ladies with hysterectomies. We try to offer support both pre op and post op. Often times, the ladies that have a hyst and recover well move on with their lives and do not continue to post as they have no need for support any more. This means many of the women on this site are here because they are having issues after having a hyst or they have chosen to stay and offer support. So yes, you will more than likely read about women having post hyst issues on the site, but this does not happen to every woman. Unfortunately, there is no way to know prior to a hyst if you will be one who's life is greatly improved by a hyst or if you will continue to have issues.

Every woman has to decided the pros and cons of having a hyst, and the pros and cons will be different for each of us. And doing research is an excellent way to help you decide what is best for you.

To get you started, here is a link to the fibroid section of our resource database: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26. I have heard that fibroids can cause many of the issues you are dealing with.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-05-2006, 03:02 PM

I had bleed daily for 2 yrs. I was going to my family dr for pap's and trying to get it to just stop. When finally at my wits end and there for my 4th depo shot to try and stop the bleeding I lost it. It was then they finally said that maybe I need to see a gyn. DUH. Hadn't been to one since the birth of my twins 16yrs prior. My friend suggested hers and the man was a god send!!! First visit felt "something" and sonogram confirmed fibroids all along.....3! FINALLY a answer. Gave me options, hyster being one of them and the one for me. I was put on hormones to stop the bleeding before surgery could be done. I had a LSH 1/04 and so glad I did. I was 38 and done having kids.

Vicky

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register