I need any advice please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need any advice please I need any advice please

Unread 03-21-2011, 09:36 PM
I need any advice please

Hey all I'm Jodi I'm 28. In April 2008 I was dia. with 1Endometrium: Diffuse complex hyperplasia with atypia. Focal areas with increased glandular atypia.
2 Endocervix:Chronic endocervicitis with squamous metaplasia. The dr never explained anything except that I needed a hyst. an since I don't have insurance he couldn't help me so he sent me to a cancer place an since I was 25 at that time he refused to do a hyster. Now I'm 28 an will be 29 this yr, and I'm just wondering exactly what all this is. If anyone could help it would be great!! Also the cancer dr did say something about it being non-invasive but I didn't have a clue on that either. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Re: I need any advice please

Jpen -

I am sorry to hear that your Drs were less than helpful when you got this information. I hope that your situation has changed and you now have insurance but even if you don't you need to be seen again and soon.

Complex hyperplasia with atypia is what most Drs would refer to as pre-cancer. In someone your age it is sometimes treated with a drug called Megace in an attempt to preserve fertility. The recommendation is usually that the pregnancy occur soon and a hysterectomy is done afterward since complex hyperplasia with atypia usually proceeds to cancer.

You should be checked out to see if it has progressed or what has gone on since your initial diagnosis.

You haven't said anything about symptoms or what may have changed with your cycles since your initial diagnosis, that sometimes gives Drs an indication of want to follow-up on.

G.
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Before I was diag. I was having a 'year round' period and NEVER stopped bleeding ever since as far back as I can remember. It was getting so bad that I was having to get blood transfusions every 6mnths. When my blood level dropped from 8.4 to 5.1 from Friday to Monday is when the Dr did the surg. and found it he said he stopped countin @ 40 polyps. Since then I haven't had a period! Every once in a while I may bleed for a few hours very very light and thats all for about 2-4 months. I hurt in my stomach all the time. I'm not sure on what symptoms I should have jus pain and discomfort, mood swings (like crazy) frequent headaches... They wanted to try me on that meg hormone therapy that whats they called it but having no insur. the med was over $300 and that was @ Walmart. I still have NO insurance. I can't afford it at all! I also don't qualify for medicade. I was also told that I wouldn't be able to have a child of my own? Even if it were treated. I figured since this has been goin on since I started my very 1st period @ age 12. Thanks for your reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2011, 05:41 AM

(((Jpen,)))
I am sorry the doctors apparently were so very unhelpful when you saw them. I agree that you need to get a check-up and soonest to determine what your current DX is and be treated accordingly. If at all possible, please see a gynecological oncologist who are experts with precancer/cancer. Some doctors will see patients without insurance so don't hesitate to call and I'd start with a gyn/oncs office. If you have problems and meet the qualification perhaps your state's social welfare system may be able to help. You might also contact local hospitals and explain your situation.

Since this dx very often progresses to cancer, usually a hysterectomy with removal of ovaries too is done. OTOH the hyperplasia sometimes can be reversed particularly in younger women; however, if reversal is attempted, usually by taking hormone drugs,you'll need to be carefully monitored including having biopsies and/or D&Cs at regular intervals to make sure it does not turn to cancer.

Good luck. Please keep us updated.
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:01 AM

I'm really greatful for all of your advice. I just was kinda unaware of what I am dealing with. I know it may sound dumb! but I kinda thought it had gone away or something since the bleeding stopped like it did. Is it normal to not bleed? It's almost been 3 yrs an I have not had a period. I'm not complaining on that part. My Dr said I was the youngest case he had ever seen. Also does anyone know what the other was.. (chronic endocervicitis w/ squamous metaplasia).. Thank you all again
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:10 AM

Your post doesn't say where you live, but if you check with the hospital related to your gyne's office or gyne/onco's office they may have a program to help you with the out-of-pocket expenses. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask and take the time to fill out the paper work. I know at my treating hospital they will waive a portion of the patient's expenses based on their income. Anywhere from 10-100% of their costs.
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Please! Get a check up as soon as possible!! Its your health...and like others have said....make the phone calls....let the hospital know of your situation...someone, somewhere can help you!
Dont let this go on forever!! I pray you get into a oncology/gyn soon!!
Good luck and best wishes!
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM

I got on the web an on the phone an found 6 gyns near me (within 50 miles) I'm calling around to find out if they can help. I live in Sc. The hospital here is not so great, they are the one's that sent me home each time from age 12 an up sayin that there was NOTHING wrong that my periods would regulate themselves. Which never happened. I will let you all know what I find out asap. Thanks to all of you
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:49 AM

Godspeed friend!! Good luck!! Stick up for yourself....get answers.
Hope all works out!
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM

I don't know if Megace comes in a generic, but some WalGreens and some grocery stores have some incredibly cheap prices (as low as $4 for a 30 day supply) on some generics (you'd just have to call around and find out if anyone has this on their program)... Some states have pharmaceutical programs, too.

Hospitals have social workers. part of their job is to help people when finances interfere with obtaining needed medical treatment. They know what programs and assistance are available and can help with paperwork. Teaching hospitals associated with/part of universities often have special programs, too. Go see the social worker(s)... also check out different hospitals because policies and prices can be very different. Hospitals also have chaplains, who may be able to help. If you are a member of a church, synagogue, etc., your pastor, rabbi, etc. may have contacts wih chaplians or organizations that can help, too. And they will be happy to pray for you.

Please, please, please see a gynecological oncologist. They are the experts with these kinds of gynecological issues. As a 3-time, 22-year cancer survivor, I have learned that the sooner something is done, the less something has to be done, the less pain I suffer, and the better my prognosis.

Please try not to be scared... Jesus will be with you every step of the way. Psalm 144, Psalm 91, Isaiah 40:31, and the Footprints in the Sand poem may be of particular help.

God's blessings and good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register