TAH Appendicitis or normal post-op pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Appendicitis or normal post-op pain? Appendicitis or normal post-op pain?

Unread 09-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Appendicitis or normal post-op pain?

Hi there,
I am almost 6 weeks TAH post-op.
at 1 week I ended up with pneumonia and a kidney infection. At 2 weeks ultrasound indicated I had a hematoma about 5 cm which I was told was the cause of my pain and bleeding. I have been on so many antibiotics I hope I haven't become immune to them.
My issue since yesterday is lower right abdominal pain, a bit of nausea, diarrhea and intermittent low grade fever. I am also still battling a bladder infection which I have to wait until Tuesday for my GP to confirm lab results. The pain has spread to my lower back and pain around my belly button.
I had my right ovary removed in 2010 during an ablation and laparoscopy (due to endometriosis it had adhered to the uterine wall and ruptured?).
My left ovary was left during the recent TAH.
I have my 6 week follow up and ultrasound on Wednesday with my surgeon but I wonder if my pains now warrant a trip to emerg. I am still bleeding
Which looks red to me but I guess not bright red. There is a different unpleasant odor now too.
Could I be experiencing appendicitis?
I am due back to work on Friday and not sure if I am ready.

Thanks so much for your time and help!
Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Re: Appendicitis or normal post-op pain?

If I were you, I would go right to the ER. That really does sound like your appendix but, even if it isn't, it still sounds like it needs immediate attention.
We had surgery the same day. I know how frustrated you feel; I've had a few setbacks myself & have been feeling miserable. Hope you feel better soon & it gets easier for you. Now, get to the ER & then keep us updated!
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:47 PM

I did go to the ER straight away. It turns out that I have another bladder infection and my hematoma is still there (but has shrank). My 6 week post op appt with my surgeon was yesterday and she said I was not ready to return to work tomorrow. I am now off until sept 30. I hope my STD still covers me for the additional time off. I am still very sore and so tired.
I'm am on 2 more antibiotics for the bladder infection and hematoma.

I'm a bit frustrated that I'm not better.
Hopefully now with the kids back to school I can truly rest.

Thanks for your support. Wishing you all a healthy recovery
Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2013, 10:35 PM

You're welcome! Glad you went to the ER & it wasn't anything serious. I had a hematoma & infection in my cuff at 3 weeks; was also put on 2 antibiotics to clear it up. It was so painful & I was bleeding like a period but, the antibiotics kicked in around the 4th day & it got better.
I also had my 6 week post op appt yesterday, well Wednesday. My body is healing good but, like you I'm also still sore & tired most of the time. I've got terrible insomnia & I'm very emotional. Recovery has been so frustrating! I'm in college & dropped all but 1 online class for this term; couldn't imagine having to return to a job while feeling like this. It's hard enough just trying to deal with this & keep my 17 yr old son from making me crazier. Lol
Hope the extra time you got is enough & you feel better soon.
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:53 PM

Hugs for you.
It seems we have a lot in common.
Hope you feel better soon too.
I hear ya about the insomnia and being emotional.
Hope you get some rest

Mary
xoxo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register