Lupron experiences? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron experiences? Lupron experiences?

Unread 01-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Lupron experiences?

How did you do with the Lupron? I I am most likely going to start next month in prep for laproscopic hysterectomy in 3 months or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Lupron experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieo11
How did you do with the Lupron? I I am most likely going to start next month in prep for laproscopic hysterectomy in 3 months or so.
Hi Annieo11,

I'm not sure if you were asking me about lupron? So if not, please ignore my response.

My experience with lupron was not a good experience. I had a botched/failed myomectomy four years ago because I simply trusted my surgeon who was reputed to be the best in the city where I live. His course of treatment was to place me on lupron prior to surgery. I didn't know this then, but lupron makes fibroids more mushy and more difficult to remove during surgery. It shrinks fibroids in some women, but in many women it has no effect on shrinkage. My gyn could not remove my fibroid because it had become too mushy from the lupron. I learned later that skilled and experienced surgeons do not use lupron on myomectomies precisely for these reasons. They also don't need to use it because their skill and experience is that great.

Some gynecologists will say that lupron helps decrease blood loss during surgery. In fact, studies have shown that this is not the case. Lupron has no effect on blood loss during surgery. Other gynecologists will use lupron to elevate blood counts in cases of anemia prior to surgery. I discovered that skilled and experienced gynecologists only use lupron to treat anemia in very very severe cases of anemia when all other methods of elevating blood counts have failed.

I also discovered later that there are many women sueing the makers of lupron because of the long-term side effects that continue after the drug is ceased.

I ended up having a successful myomectomy eventually with a skilled surgeon who does not use lupron.

Having said all this, I have no idea of the use of lupron prior to hysterectomies. My experience has been with its use prior to myomectomies. But I imagine it is a similar experience, that is, that expert gyns don't use it for hysterectomies or myomectomies.

It really is a horrible drug. You can google the internet to read other women's experiences on lupron. It never hurts to get a second or third opinion with gyns that do not need to use lupron to do laparoscopic hysterectomies.

Best of luck,
Ammuni
Unread 01-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Lupron experiences?

Thank you for your advice and informing me of the effects lupron had on you. I have been doing some research and the thought of taking it does scare me. I don't generally like taking any medicines- didn't want birth control pills because of adverse effects. I will certainly continue to do more research and talk to my doctor again. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Lupron experiences?

Hi Annieo11,

In my case, I had a positive expereince with Lupron. It was a success for me.

My 1st Dr. wanted to do an abdominal hyst due to the size of my fibroids. I got a 2nd opinion and he recommended a laparoscopic hyst after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for the surgery type. My Dr. is a top Dr. in our area and he just wanted my fibroid(s) size smaller for a LSH.

In my case, both my Drs went over a myomectomy with me. Both my Drs. felt that my fibroids would most likely grow back after a myomectomy. In my case, I wanted one surgery to handle my fibroids. That being said...my younger sister had a myomectomy several years ago and she went on to have my two nieces after her surgery. She just had a hyst a couple of years ago for returning fibroids...so a myomectomy was a good choice for her.

Getting back to lupron...as Ammuni said, lupron is not for everyone. Lupron causes temporary chemical menopause. I had hot flashes and night sweats and I lost interest in sex. I just did my best to make lupron a lifestyle for awhile.

For me, Lupron also helped to decrease my fibroids so it helped to relieve my constant pelvic pressure from fibroids. Lupron also helped to stop my heavy periods before my hyst and my bladder was working better due to less pressure from my fibroids.

Lupron did shrink my fibroids enough...and I had my LSH. I am still very pleased with the results. I would do lupron and my LSH over again to have the quality of life I have now. I also kept my ovaries and I have not gone into menopause yet. I have not had any hot flashes or night sweats since my lupron days.

In the end...as Ammuni said, do your research and do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Sending best wishes again~

Mary
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Lupron experiences?

Annieo11

I, too, had a very positive experience with Lupron which shrank my fibroid by 66%, thus making the surgery safer. For me, the temporary menopausal side-effects were nothing I couldn't handle. As with most things ~ "good news is no news" ~ making positive experiences more difficult to find.

Sending all good wishes and positive thoughts your way as you try to reach a decision that's right for you.

Unread 02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Lupron experiences?

Mary,
If you read this, thank you for sharing your experience. Would you mind sharing how large the fibroid was.
I am facing the same thing, only the options given me were Abodimal hysterectomy or vaginal hysterectomy after 3 months of Lupron. I'm concerned about the mood swings. Any other insights would be great. Thanks.

And thanks for asking the question Annieo11 -
I hope and pray all will go well for you!

Mona-que
Unread 02-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Lupron experiences?

I think a lot of what you read on the internet is negative because people don't take the time to post positive experiences. I am on my second month of Lupron and it's going alright. (I'm taking it for Endometriosis.) The worst thing for me has been RAGING headaches each day. I get hot flashes, but they are just that - a flash of hotness that lasts about a minute and then I feel normal again. I've been LESS moody (I have PMDD) on the Lupron than I am normally. So far so good. I have one more shot to go! If it weren't for the headaches, I'd say it was completely positive.
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Lupron experiences?

Thank you - I really needed to hear that. The headaches worry me ! I already have pre-menstrual migraines, can't imagine it getting worse. Hummm. I'm considering it more than I was in the beginning.

thanks again for sharing. Hope all goes well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register