length of hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

length of hospital stay length of hospital stay

Unread 11-09-2003, 12:23 AM
length of hospital stay

Hello,
I'm new to hyster sister and I must say this site has been very helpful to me. I have a question how long is the hospital stay for a TAH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2003, 03:13 AM
length of hospital stay

hello!

It varies with everyone, for all kinds of reasons. You should ask your doctor how long he or she thinks you'll be in.

I had my TAH on Sept. 26th (6 weeks post op!) My doctor told me I'd be in for 4 to 6 days. But, I went home on the third day.

Make sure that you stay there as long as you need to though! If they try to send you home, and you don't feel ready, ask if you can stay. That is easy for me to say because I live in Canada and don't have to pay for it, but if you're covered, by all means stay there!

Jenn
Unread 11-09-2003, 05:10 AM
length of hospital stay

Hi Henryhattie and welcome!

You've found a great place to get information and prepare for your surgery, both pre and post-operatively. I invite you to check out the HysterSisters Homepage where you can find an area with helpful hints and article to prepare for each stage, and also links to the other message board areas, such as Pre-Op.

As far as the length of your hospital stay, it will depend on your Dr. and how well you do. My Dr. had told me to expect to be in the hospital for 3 to 5 days as my procedure was lengthy and I was in the OR for just under 5 hours. However, I was able to eat, walk and switch to oral pain meds the day after my surgery, and was discharged the morning after that.

Best wishes to you and s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2003, 06:12 AM
length of hospital stay

Hi, I had a SAH and left on the evening of the third day. It was my choice, wasn't being pressured either way.
Unread 11-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Length of the hospital stay

Thanks for the information, my TAH is scheduled for Dec. 15, 2003. Right now I am fine with everything, I 'm just trying to make sure everything is done for Christmas, and I wanted to wait until my fall classes were over, and we are not that busy at work around the holidays. I also have to make sure my parents will be ok for the week or two that I will be down. My DH is great with the household chores and the kids, I just did not want to spoil everyone's holidays by being not well.

I spoke to my doctor and he said my stay in the hospital will be about 48 hours and I should be able to return to work within four weeks. Hopefully he is correct, thanks.
Unread 11-09-2003, 06:02 PM
length of hospital stay

I was in for three days. It went by in a flash!!!

Kim
Unread 11-10-2003, 07:41 AM
length of hospital stay

I had an abdominal hyst and bladder supsension and stayed in the hospital 4 days.
Unread 11-10-2003, 08:05 AM
length of hospital stay

I was told 2-4 days for a TVH and I left on the 3rd day. My epidural stayed in for 24 hours and was taken out the second day. I almost went home on the second evening but I told the dr I almost lost my lunch and needed antinausea med zofran, and I didn't pass gas so he kept me an extra night. It's a good thing I stayed that extra night because I needed more zofran at 2am. I got a script for zofran and phenerghan to take home.

Here is a link on how long others stayed and what they had done. Keep in mind you may see abbreviations like these below somewhere in the responses. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ghlight=nights

TAH--Total Abdominal Hysterectomy----Removal of uterus including the cervix
TAH BSO--Total Abdominal Hysterectomy- Bilateral Salpingoopherectomy---Removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries.
TVH-- Total Vaginal Hysterectomy ---removal of uterus and cervix through the vagina
TVH-BSO --removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries thru the vagina -------------
LAVH--Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy---Vaginal Hysterectomy with visualization and resection of the uterine ligaments through a scope inserted through or near the umbillicus.The uterus is then delivered through the vagina.
SAH--Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy--removal of uterus through an abd. incision leaving the cervix intact
SAH--Supracervical Abdominal Hysterectomy---same as above
LSH--Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy
Unread 11-10-2003, 08:39 AM
length of hospital stay

I received papers in the mail, I think from the insurance company and they say that I will be admitted Dec 4 and discharged Dec 6.
Unread 11-10-2003, 10:04 AM
length of hospital stay

Henryhattie,

I had SAH/BSO on a Wednesday and was released on Friday afternoon. After a ride home of about an hour, I crawled into bed and slept for several hours.

As for returning to work in 4 weeks? I couldn't have done it. I started back on light duty, half shifts at 5 1/2 weeks. The second night, I didn't even make it half a shift. After 1 1/2 weeks on half shifts I went to full shifts, still on light duty. At almost 9 weeks, I'm doing well, but will not go back on regular duty for another full week. Don't underestimate how tired you will be....and how swollen and achey you can get after being up and about for a full day of work.

s
Cat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register