Trying to sleep in the bed again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trying to sleep in the bed again Trying to sleep in the bed again

Unread 06-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Trying to sleep in the bed again

Hi sister. This might sound crazy but am having a hard time laying in bed without my incision hurting. I had my TAH done last week and was released from the castle last friday and ever since I got home I have been sleeping in the recliner which for the most part has been pretty comfy. But my hubby misses me in bed. My question is anyone have ideas to make it more comfy in bed? Also I had my left ovary removed and at night i have been having night sweats really bad is that normal? I'm 28 years old and no one in my family has been though this so I need some advice. I feel good for the most part I just feel like something is missing from my body. Still get very tired by just taking a shower thank god for the hubbs in there with me. I tried to help him with dinner Mon which at the time seem great but an hour later I was paying for it. My belly is still numb from the surgery is that normal? Well I guess that is it for now. I might have more questions later. Thank you sisters. You guys are awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Re: Trying to sleep in the bed again

Hi Kelly don't worry you will be back in your bed in no time. I had a TAH/BSO and could not sleep in my bed for 2 weeks. It was too high and soft for me and brought me to tears everytime I tried. It does get better! My belly is still numb too. Just hang in there it does get better each day=)
Unread 06-17-2009, 07:25 AM

I would stick to the recliner until you feel up to sleeping in the bed. Tell hubby to join you in the living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:42 AM

kelly, carefully placed pillows can make the bed more comfortable - one under the tummy for sure, and others where they work for you.

One warning about the bed, though - you'll have more room to move around and may cause yourself some pain from sudden or strange movements during your sleep.

Also, I'm sure your DH is thinking he doesn't sleep as well without you in the bed, but it's really not going to be any better with you in there waking up, getting up for pain meds, and struggling to get and stay comfortable. One more week is likely to make a big difference in all of this.
Unread 06-17-2009, 07:43 AM

Oh yes, and my belly still has some numbness, too. I've heard it can take up to a year for all the feeling to return.
Unread 06-17-2009, 07:48 AM

Hi Kelly! After I had a laparoscopy, I found that it hurt my abdomen to lay down in bed. So I took to stacking 2 pillows on top of each other and putting them under my knees. I found that it kept my muscles from pulling when I would stretch out my legs. After my TAH, I found that in the hospital, I was so much more comfortable when the bottom of the bed was raised. So when I came home, I put pillows under my knees again. I actually found it more comfortable this time to have them a little higher on the backs of my thighs as well as under my knees. At first I used 2 pillows, but then I switched to just one. The one that I used was a contour neck pillow--I put the higher end under my thighs and then the smaller end under my knees. This has really helped me feel more comfortable in bed. I actually slept last night without any pillow (Day 20!), but I did feel my incicion area pull slightly when I stretched out my legs.

Good luck to you as you continue to recover!
Unread 06-17-2009, 11:23 AM

Hi Kelly616

Like nfreel and 335XrayIndia I found that pillows works wonders. I also used the hospital bed to lift my knees up and am doing the same now with pillows at home. It is hard for me to sleep on my back so I stack pillows up beside me and put a small one against my cheek so it is like sleeping on my side without actually doing it. (a sheet or blanket works too)
Getting out of bed is a whole different prodecure not sure if you know you must roll to the side and use your arms to lift or if you have a rope to tie to the bed so you can hoist yourself up or have DH help you up but warn him to take it slow I had to show DH to watch my face for signs of pain and to STOP lifting and take it slow whenever he does help me it is a process of learning for both of us!
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:32 PM

is it wrong that I played with the hospital bed? I do miss pressing the button and easy sit, easy lay, going up, going down.

the hospital manager came in once and decided my bed was too high and lowered it all the way to the ground so I wouldn't fall out. Problem was it was too low when I tried to get out without flexing muscles *duh*

my bed at home is good (for non adjustable) I have my breakfast tray and my situp pillow rest. Getting out sucks sometimes with no rail, plus my cat wants to walk under my feet when I get up.

....my cat is trying to kill me.

sleep where YOU are most comfortable!!
Unread 06-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussayin View Post
is it wrong that I played with the hospital bed? I do miss pressing the button and easy sit, easy lay, going up, going down.

the hospital manager came in once and decided my bed was too high and lowered it all the way to the ground so I wouldn't fall out. Problem was it was too low when I tried to get out without flexing muscles *duh*

my bed at home is good (for non adjustable) I have my breakfast tray and my situp pillow rest. Getting out sucks sometimes with no rail, plus my cat wants to walk under my feet when I get up.

....my cat is trying to kill me.

sleep where YOU are most comfortable!!
No it was not wrong to play with the buttons on your bed. I did it while I was in. When they first put me into bed I asked that they raise my knees. The nurse did it so high then said they couldn't do any more. Not good for me. When I was more alert I started adjusting my bed as needed. If I needed to climb out of bed I put the knee section flat and the head section up straight. it was so much easier.

Kelly616 - when I got home I had 7 pillows waiting for me. I use 2 under my knees, and had 2 or 3 behind my back. I was in a bit of sit-up position. I'm 4 weeks now and find laying on my side or back more comfortable but I still use the 2 pillows under my knees. When I'm laying down to sleep now, I have a pillow on either side of me like
this \O/. I don't move much when the pillows are tucked in tight.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register