D & C vs. Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

D & C vs. Hysterectomy D & C vs. Hysterectomy

Unread 06-12-2015, 10:28 AM
D & C vs. Hysterectomy

I am 58, post menopausal, have 3 fibroids and no problems or symptoms. I had one day of bleeding. After an endometrial biopsy & saline sonogram my doctor is recommending a hysterectomy. I was totally freaked out when she phoned me so today my husband & I went to her for a consultation. She did say the D & C is an option. She also said I'm a good candidate for laproscopic hyster. I'm thinking that if I just do the D&C that the hyster is still hanging over my head. Also one fibroid is growing and and is filling much of the uterine cavity. I assume the D & C only gets the part in the cavity so then I'll keep having to have further testing to follow its progress. I am terrified that the laproscopic can turn into the abdominal and the recovery is what I'm most dreading.

How do women make this decision? I thought after the consultation I'd either want a second opinion or know what I wanted to do but that's not the case. I feel totally unsure and unable to make this decision. My doctor said whatever decision I make I need to be totally behind it. It just feels like there isn't a need for surgery but then I think just do it and be done. Still confused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Re: D & C vs. Hysterectomy

Hi avongal,

This is a real tough decision. Only you can make it.

A couple of things to help at this point.

First, 80% of women have fibroids. Many are non-symptomatic like you. Many choose "watchful waiting," meaning doing nothings, just keeping an eye on things.

That means that there is no rush. Take your time. See how you feel. Do your research. Get another opinion (or two). Explore all your options.

If you're in the U.S., studies show that here doctor's are much more likely to recommend hysterectomy than in other countries. It's profitable.

Ultimately, hysterectomy may be the course that you choose. There is tons of good information here that helps you know what to expect. If you're worried about recovery, try reading the sub-forum - "Hysterectomy Recovery Reports," and follow a group of women through recovery. Most find it was not as bad as they expected.

Best of luck.
Unread 06-12-2015, 01:42 PM
D & C vs. Hysterectomy

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check out the posts in the Recovery Reports forum. I think that's a great suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2015, 10:55 PM

Hi,

Why is your doctor recommending hysterectomy? Does he/she think that the bleeding might be caused by cancer? I would definitely suggest a a second opinion.
Unread 06-14-2015, 05:58 AM

Thanks for your reply. I believe my doctor is just trying to be proactive to be sure there is no cancer. But if that's the case why not just give all women hysterectomies? I have decided to go ahead with the D & C and let her continue monitoring my fibroids. I just keep coming back to why would I need surgery? From all my reading it seems most women have surgery to alleviate some symptoms (bleeding, pain, etc.) and I have no symptoms!
Unread 06-15-2015, 02:02 PM

That sounds like a good plan. I am not very familiar with D&C but I think that they sometimes do it as a way to evaluate where there are any cancer concerns. My understanding is that there are a few different things that can cause post-menopausal bleeding and you don't want to have a hysterectomy without being sure that you need one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register