Age 27: Is a hysterectomy really the right thing for me??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Age 27: Is a hysterectomy really the right thing for me??? Age 27: Is a hysterectomy really the right thing for me???

Unread 09-12-2017, 12:49 AM
Age 27: Is a hysterectomy really the right thing for me???

Hi all,

I have a few concerns and was hoping you could help in making up my mind.

I was diagnosed with severe dysplasia on 01/08/2017. My GP refered me to a gynae, which I saw last week (06/09/2017)
I was bleeding heavily, so he just gave me meds to stop the bleeding and told me to come back on 26 Sept.

I have a history of problems with my reproductive system (endometriosis, endometritis, PCOS, dysfunctional bleeding, and I think I might have uterine prolapse as well). Because of all these reasons, I asked the gynae if there was a possibility that we could go for a hysterectomy rather than a cone biopsy and he told me that at 27 I wasn't emotionally ready to go through a hysterectomy.

Can anyone give me advise on what I should do, I'm a researcher by nature and have read some bad things that come after a cone biopsy as well as a hysterectomy. I have 2 gorgeous boys and don't think another child is in the cards for me, as I got divorced in May.
The gynae told me to use this time to think about what I really want and that we would discuss my options when I go back, but I don't know what I want anymore.

Please help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2017, 08:34 PM
Re: Age 27: Is a hysterectomy really the right thing for me???

27 is young and if you are removing the ovaries it is very young to get thrown into surgical menopause. You have a lot of things going on and you do already have kids, so it's not the end of the world but if I were you I'd try to keep at least one ovary. The recent divorce doesn't mean you may not meet someone and want to have more kids in the future, but not even you can answer that question yet. I don't know anything about a cone biopsy but the hysterectomy does have its little bonuses. No more periods, and I'm guessing with your issues that your periods were painful. No more need for birth control either which just makes life a bit easier at your age (except you still need condoms for STDs).

I guess you need to weigh the options. It would be nice if you could avoid the abdominal incision and go for a less invasive method. The scar I have is a bit yucky. Good luck with whichever route you decide to go.
Unread 09-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, my periods are painful and the last two have been prolonged (about 2 weeks) and very heavy (I used to have a light period for 3 days every month).
I'm not too worried about the incision, as I already have a scar. My second child was born by emergency c-section. I had Placenta Previa stage 4 with him. Just another gynological problem to add to the list.

I was hoping to preserve both ovaries (depending on the damage from the PCOS) but I will have to discuss that with the gynae on my next appointment.

To spite the divorce and everything else going on, I don't want more kids, so the loss of my fertility also won't get me down THAT much.

Thanks for your advise and if you would like to add after reading this, I would sincerely appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2017, 11:35 AM

Well in my opinion....if you aren't going to use it then just get rid of it. It will take away a lot of potential problems in the future and sounds like life will be a lot easier for you moving forward. Good luck with your journey ahead.......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register