Depo-Provera: need opinions/advice | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depo-Provera: need opinions/advice Depo-Provera: need opinions/advice

Unread 08-30-2001, 08:05 AM
Depo-Provera: need opinions/advice

Hi all, I need some help with my next decision. This is my situation in a nutshell: I'm 36, married, no kids (don't think it's possible). In 1995 I had two myomectomies-fibroids, first one vaginally and outpatient, second abdominal and inpatient (bikini cut, 6 wks off work, etc.). Over the next 5 years we tried Provera and Aygestin to try to make my periods more "normal;" I was bleeding for 10-14 days out of a 31 day cycle, more like spotting than an actual period. About the past 2 yrs I started having intense cramps during my period, ususally lasting 24-48 hours, which involved calling in to work nearly every month. More fibroids by VUS. Last October I tried Nordette BCPs for three months, and then switched to Ortho-Novum BCPs for another three months. No luck: still had major problems with pain during cycle, not to mention the side effects (the first month I thought I was going to kill someone.) Since it seems I'm only having problems during my period I just finished a three month trial of Lunelle--it's injectible BC that is supposed to stop your periods. No luck here either: I'm still spotting/bleeding, having some significant nausea, and I'm also having (usually) left-sided pain, like someone is poking me with a stick. The nurse said it sounds like I'm trying to ovulate (NOT supposed to be happening). I got my last injection on Monday just in case it decides to work.

I asked my doctor if he thought Depo-Provera would do any good; he's willing to give it if I'm willing to take it. The thing is, the more I think about it, the more I don't like the idea. Obviously I've tried to find alternatives but nothing has worked. Honestly I'm tired of it all and ready to get it over with and I believe my DR will do whatever I want at this point. I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be, but I don't want my frustration with this situation to make the decision for me. I'd like more info on the Depo-Provera; I already have the flyer from the doctor's office but I know there's more to it than that. Sisters, feel free to give me the benefit of your experience.

So sorry for the length of this post but I really need some feedback. He told me to call in three weeks with a progress report.

Thanks to all the lovely women here--you've made this so much more bearable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2001, 08:50 AM

Hi Laura!

Wow! it sure seems like you have put up with a lot of misery!
I am 37 and have endometriosis. I've done surgery, BCP's and Lupron. Before having a hyst., my Dr. also suggested trying Depro Provera. One problem with it is that it is a 3 month shot. If you do not tolerate it well, you are stuck with it for 3 months.

Mr Dr. suggested I try a progesterone only pill***(this pill does not prevent pregnancy) to see how I reacted to it. If I could tolerate it, then we could try the Depro Provera. I had horrible migraines and mood swings, so the answer for me was no. In my case we are scheduling a SAH/BSO for the end of September. I decided that I have had enough and it is finally time for me to get on with my life.

You have to make what ever choice is best for you. This a great place to get information and support.

Good Luck and take care!!
Cat
Unread 08-30-2001, 09:35 AM

Laura,

It's good to really research ALL options before making a big decision on Depo. I started on Depo for birth control in 92, had 2 DD by then, had C-section and decided no more kiddos. I was on Depo until May 96, and during that time I had major migranes, VERY irritable, and major depression..I don't want to scare you, but my depression got so bad, I tried to "check out". At the time I didn't know all the side effects of Depo. Once I stopped Depo, I began feeling alot better, no migranes, mood swings, depression, but didn't know it was because I was off the shot. When my endometriosis began again after birth of #3 DD in 98, my Dr wanted me to start Depo again, of course I said ok because I thought I didn't have problems during the first time....WRONG. All the same side effects began again, and that's when I realized it had been the Depo that caused the headaches, mood swings, and my depression raised it's ugly head again. I choose not to take it again, and had my TAH/BSO last year.

I don't like Depo, but you need to do what's best for you, don't be afraid to voice your concerns w/your Dr., it's your body and feelings, not theirs.

Hope I helped..good luck!
Amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2001, 04:20 AM
Laura,

I tried Depo Provera for birth control/period regulation. Unfortunately, with the 1st shot, I bled the ENTIRE 3 months. The Dr. said, well - it should go away with the next shot. NOPE. bled for another 3 months. We decided it was not for me.

Have you given any thought to going on Depo Lupron shots? You might ask your Dr. about them.

Every woman is different, and reacts differently to each medication. I am glad you are doing your research.

Let us know what you decide, and how it works for you.
Unread 09-03-2001, 03:06 PM

Depo was the worst, I didn't handle it at all! It's in your system for 3 months and for as long as a year. How I wish I had never gone down that road, but everyone is different.

Good luck to you!
Unread 09-05-2001, 11:17 AM

To all you wonderful ladies who responded,

Thanks so much for your input. I've done some intense thinking and reading about this and I have decided enough is enough--let's punt this puppy!! The more I thought about the Depo-Provera the less I liked it; I also think that since I've tried so much lately I'm ready for this to be over with. Amanda, about the Lupron shots, I thought that was to shrink the fibroids before surgery. Mine are small but significantly placed and I believe that is what is causing all the trouble.

I just got my crowning date today (10/1). Now to start preparing my chamber...

Again, thanks so much for your input and blessings all around.
Unread 09-05-2001, 11:49 AM

Hi,

I can't relate to the troubles you are experiencing and I wish you luck: but I can tell you that depo provera was a nightmare for me.

Although it did completly stop my periods for the year I was on it, it also took a whole year off of it to get my periods back. In the mean time I put on over 40 pounds! I was hoping that by going off the injections the fat would melt away. WRONG. I would never recommend that drug to anyone for any reason and I have never heard of anyone being happy on it either.

Good luck. The reading and learning on these boards is truly amazing!

Mugwump:caution:
Unread 09-05-2001, 03:25 PM

Laura,

Congratulations on your surgery date. It is such a relief once the decision is made. Now it is just the waiting. I do not have my exact date yet, but my Dr's office said they are working with the hospital for the first week in October.

Good Luck!!!!

Cat

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register