TVH or LAVH | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-22-2001, 08:07 AM
TVH or LAVH

I'm pretty new here and trying to weigh out all the information available. It is a daunting task. My gynecologist has told me I needed to have a hysterectomy for years, since the birth of my first child. It was a difficult delivery that left everything I have sort of falling out. It's been uncomfortable for some time, but not painful. I could never take up jogging, but for the most part can do normal things. At 43 I'm already through menopause, don't ask me why, I've no idea. I heard of laparoscopic hysterectomies about a year ago and liked the idea of a faster recovery period. There was also the idea that this is the latest and greatest? Anyway, my doctor never suggested this as an option, I found a surgeon on my own. He's Dr. Koh from the Milwaukee area. That office visit was interesting, but I really don't know him from any other Dr. out there. He did say that I don't have to have my uterus removed, but could just have it tacked up (non-technical term), however, it may fall out later anyway so he'd advise it, he also suggested having my ovaries removed. Decisions, decisions. I feel like a big baby, but I just want someone to tell me magically what the right thing to do is. My gynecologist suggested a gynecologist/urologist since I need some repair work, I have a cystocele and possibly rectocele (sp?) issues. Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2001, 11:00 AM
TVH or LAVH

Dear Judy,

I was a prolapse victim at age 42. Go to this link to get tons of info about prolapse, and the options to treat it or live with it:

http://pages.prodigy.com/prolapse.html/

85% of hysts are elective, done for quality of life purposes, not to SAVE a life. Only YOU must live with your pre-op symptoms and your post-op results (good or bad).

Consulting with a uro-gynecologist is an EXCELLENT idea, especially since you have issues with the cystocele & rectocele. Keep reading & posting. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Feel free to email or IM anytime (I mean that). Sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 09-23-2001, 08:14 AM
TVH or LAVH

My surgeon was his partner, Dr. Janik. I was very happy with my procedure, but didn't have prolapse to repair. I went crawling back to work 1/2 time at 3 1/2 weeks, but I was kind of pushing it. I was still tired and unable to vacuum, lift, etc., just the same as any other princess. The difference in recovery is not that large.

It does sound like a second opinion is in order. Either you'll get enough information to make a solid decision or you'll get so much information you won't know what to do. but at least you'll know you did your research.

Another important question to ask: Why did Dr. Koh suggest removing your ovaries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2001, 06:57 PM
TVH or LAVH

I heard of the faster recovery with that but found out that when I talked to my dr about a hysterectomy he said that he wanted to avoid all the extra cutting done with an LAVH. I wanted to avoid that procedure mostly because of the fact that the only choice for anesthesia with a laporoscopic procedure is general. I've read that some sisters have had the LAVH and said that the additional incisions were more painful. I'm having a TVH (no extra outside incisions) and learned I may be able to get an epidural with sedation. Since you have given birth a TVH may be an option. I also believe (not sure) that the repair for cystocele is done vaginally so once they are in there why do the extra cutting with the laparoscope? I'm curious as to why he wants to take the ovaries. If you haven't reached menapause yet and the ovaries are healthy it should prevent you from having to take hormone replacements.
Also check out this link. This made me want to avoid an LAVH but it's really up to the dr and their surgical skills.
http://www.scncgynecologists.com/vag...sterectomy.htm
Unread 09-23-2001, 07:32 PM
TVH or LAVH

Ultimately, to me, one way to approach this decision is to find the best doctor for your particular problem and have the procedure that THAT doctor does best. Dr. Koh does laparoscopic surgery all the time, so with him, you might have laparoscopic. If you find another doctor you decide would be better for your prolapse repairs or that you just feel happier about, you might choose a different procedure because that doctor does that procedure best.

And I'd be more worried about making a good decision about those ovaries than about short-term recovery issues such as whether you can go back to work a week sooner or not. A year from now you'll be much happier about a good outcome than you are about how quick your recovery was.

Big hugs to you! Keep reading and researching. There's no magic answer (I wanted one too!), but I know you'll find the answer that's best for you.
Unread 09-28-2001, 06:53 AM
Hi Judylo

I am 32 and I had a LAVH done on 07-24-01. I was off from work for 5 weeks and then went back 1/2 days for a week... I am now back at work fulltime and aside from some fatigue, I can say with 100% certainty that I would do the same thing again! I have total relief from the pain from my Endo.

And my pain from the surgery was actually LESS than what I went thru every month with my period.!!

If you want, you can email me with any more questions and I will answer the best I can from my experience.

Oh, and I was in the hospital 3 days and 2 nights.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register