Considering TVH--looking for Your Experiences | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Considering TVH--looking for Your Experiences Considering TVH--looking for Your Experiences

Unread 09-25-2001, 02:31 PM
Considering TVH--looking for Your Experiences

I'm a 36 year old health care worker. From day one, I've had problems with severe painful periods. Birth control pills helped some, then my uterus starts prolasping. A laproscopy ablation several years ago for endometriosis and severing nerve/ligaments helped for 2 months. Different birth control pills, ALOT of ibuprofen, onset of migraines.......

My gyn said I could have D&C, uterus ablation or hysterectomy. He provided statistics regarding success, partial success and failure rates of the ablation. I've been with this gyn for a number of years and I trust his judgement. His final recommendation was vaginal hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries intact.

I didn't know enough about hysters to ask questions, so I'll have a future visit to discuss questions before scheduling surgery. Thank goodness I found this site just hours after my Dr. visit. I almost gave up looking for support websites. The others were pretty scary as far as horror stories with few positive feelings about hysterectomy.

I don't have children, and don't plan on having any. My husband is supportive of what I choose to do. I'm seeking feedback because I'm almost starting to feel guilty at taking a big step to end years of suffering. I don't have cancer, tumors, cysts or other problems. I'm seeking others who may have had similar problems and chose to have the hysterectomy. I'm not seeking others to make the decision for me that's pretty much made up, I just want to verify that I'm not being selfish.

I feel confident about proceeding with hysterectomy. Heck, I was the one asking for the hysterectomy in the first place. I wanted to have a hysterectomy the day I started having periods at age 14!!!

I'm researching the surgery options, potential complications and possible long term effects of TVH (vaginal hysterectomy). Hyster sisters appears to be a very supportive site and not one to use scare tactics regarding hysterectomy. I can live with the migraines if only the
other problems were taken care of. Blood flow and duration of periods have been increasing, cramps increasing, and intimacy is a problem.

I appreciate the benefit of your experiences.

Chile Queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2001, 02:37 PM

Hi Chile!

I recently had a TVH, and I wish I had done it a thousand years ago! I'm eight weeks post-op, and aside from a UTI or two, I have had no ill affects from my TVH. Granted, I can't tell you what it will be like months or years from now, but if your surgery goes well and your recovery is good, odds are that it will be a successful endeavor.

Of course, there are risks, not only the standard surgical risks of allergies, blood clots, and infection, so keep on researching!

If you have any specific questions, drop me an email.

BEST OF LUCK!!!
Unread 09-25-2001, 03:47 PM

Hi Chili,

I am almost 5 weeks post-op for a TVH with repairs for a rectocele and a cystocele because of prolapses of the uterus, the rectum and the bladder.

It was the right decision for me, because I'm 55, have two children, and was going through menopause anyway.

You are the only one who can make your decision - but until you are completely sure, don't do anything, please.

Good luck to you with whatever decision you make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2001, 05:54 AM

Chile,
Warning! I ramble on and on..

You expressed a lot of the same concerns I have been having. I am 33, no children, and booked for a laproscopic hysterectomy in October. I have spent the last 2 months questioning the decision and writing out pro/con lists. I have been to see 4 doctors about this (fibroids). Then I started reading...SO much of the material out there was trying to convince me that I should do ANYTHING and everything before the dreaded hysterectomy. I started to minimize some of the difficulties I was having and thinking I could live with it (NOT!!!!!). I wasn't too impressed with the stats from the other procedures. Plus I was told that b/c of my age the problem would most likely return. So, if hysterectomy is the procedure that will solve the difficulties I have been having then I am all for it! And...I would rather do the surgery now when I am young & healthy. Many people say that a hysterectomy is performed mostly for quality of life. I am certainly an example of this. Fibroids have stolen a great deal of my quality of life for a long time.

I found it helped me to bring the issue back to its most simplistic form - do I have a problem? Yes. Do I have to do something about it? Yes. The doctors say that I must deal with this and that it is only going to get worse. And then the most important question - what procedure will 100% deal with the problem? The answer was clear.

One thing for you to consider...I am booked for an abdominal laproscopic hysterectomy. The plan is to leave the ovaries and the cervix. I have been told that in a TVH they have to take the cervix out. Also...b/c I haven't had children I was told a TVH would be quite a difficult procedure. You may want to look into whether an abdominal laproscopic hysterectomy is an option for you. I think it is relatively new.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Sara
Unread 09-26-2001, 08:16 AM
Thank you --

Thank you for the kind words. I'm already thinking about a date for surgery. I'll ask my gyn about the lap approach. I would prefer he do the surgery since he has been my physician for a number of years. I don't know if he does this newer technique, but I guess we'll be doing some more talking.

Chile Queen
Unread 09-26-2001, 08:20 AM
Re: Considering TVH--looking for Your Experiences

Dear Chile,

I had a TVH for prolapsed uterus at age 42. It's humbling to see so many other women with much more serious, & even life-threatening symptoms, when I was only feeling *uncomfortable*. Have you been to the prolapse website? You can learn tons of stuff about this condition at this link: http://pages.prodigy.com/prolapse.html/

My pre-op research told me that 85% of hysts are done for quality of life reasons, not to SAVE a life. Time and gravity are working against the prolapse victims, and as the condition worsens, it can cause other problems (constipation, incontinence) that may result in even MORE surgical repairs needed.

I ended up with the vaginal hyst, leaving the healthy ovaries. I chose to lose the cervix also, as I had some bad paps a few years ago, and it's my opinion that the cervix is part of the problem in prolapse (falling out of place). Prolapse victims are EXCELLENT candidates for the vaginal procedure (silver lining, I guess ).

Only YOU must live with your pre-op symptoms, and your post-op results (good or bad). Keep reading & posting... get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Feel free to email or IM anytime. Sending cyberhugs
Unread 09-28-2001, 07:13 PM
Thanks

This site has already helped so much. Your stories and encouragement have helped me feel more confident about my surgery. If it were one symptom or another, I would consider alternatives. It seems like hyst would be better for me.

I'll keep you posted. And will check out the prolapse site.

Chile Q

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register