Am I attached to my uterus??!!?? | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I attached to my uterus??!!?? Am I attached to my uterus??!!??

Unread 11-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Am I attached to my uterus??!!??

This is what my doctor asked me last week. I said very attached!!!

This is my dilema:

I have been going to my family doctor for my paps every year. Although I've always had tremendous pain with my periods and never made a big deal about it to my family dr. I had always heard how the women in my family discussed their painful periods, so I figured my pain was hereditary. I've never had heavy periods only painful periods. I've tried a few different prescribed pain medications and nothing works, if it does work it makes me sick to where I'm throwing up all day.

Last december I had my appendix removed and when I went for my post op the doctor who removed my appendix told me I had a lot of scarred tissue and to let my OB/GYN know. Well since I had only seen an OB during my last pregnancy, which was nearly 6 years prior, I decided to go back to the OB/GYN I had before.

I got an exam and vaginal ultrasound and he told me with all of my symptoms: painful periods, bleeding during intercourse and severe PMS I would need to have my Uterus removed because I had Adenomyosis. No fibroids or cyst or anything like that.

My concern was I had not seen this doctor in 6 years, he didn't have any records of my symptoms until last week and he wants to remove my uterus. I don't know what to do should I get a second opinion? Has anyone found an alternative treatment to the problems I'm having?

Can somebody Help??!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Re: Am I attached to my uterus??!!??

Hi slick1975

It's always a good idea to get a second (or even third!) opinion. Even if you hear the same recommendation from another doctor, perhaps you'll receive more tests or a better explanation of why a hysterectomy is the best option for you.

When I was tested for adenomyosis several years ago, I was told that a hysterectomy was absolutely the only treatment for it--but that since a hysterectomy has risks, it would be up to me to determine whether I would rather live with the pain or with the risks of surgery. As it turned out, I did not have adenomyosis--but that was my experience at the time.

I would recommend scheduling an appointment with a second gynecologist. Meanwhile, you might want to keep a symptom journal so you have something in writing to share with the new doctor as you help him or her understand your experiences.

Unread 11-02-2009, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the insight.

Keeping a journal is a wonderful idea. It's hard to remember all the symptoms and easier to forget once they're gone. I think I will get a second opinion, and soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2009, 12:50 PM

slik - request an MRI as well. Adenomyosis rarely shows up on an ultrasound, but is better found on an MRI. It is a difficult diagnosis to make without an MRI or conclusively, a hysterectomy and pathology report. Interesting that PMS is cited as a symptom, I neither had any nor have read/heard it given as a symptom.

Sounds like a second opinion is warrented. Also, I suggest going to the Mayo Clinic's webpage, they do the best job of discussing adenomyosis and not confusing it with endo.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register