New to this and have a lot of questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to this and have a lot of questions New to this and have a lot of questions

Unread 12-18-2011, 03:23 PM
New to this and have a lot of questions

Hi ladies! How is everyone? I am 34 years old with four children ages 15 to 8 and am a roughneck wife. My surgery will be scheduled sometime early Jan and I'm worried about a few things that I thought you maybe able to help me with.
First I've had 3 csections and I was curious if the recovery is kind of the same also idk how long my DH will be able to stay home with me, due to finances he has to work and I'm not sure how to handletge recovery by myself with the kids and having to drive them to and from school etc etc, does anyone hav any suggestions? Also I have a very low tolerance to pain but a high tolerance to pain meds can't take codeine or percocet cuz I'm allergic to it but vicodin
doesn't help much any suggestions on pain meds?? Thanks everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Re: New to this and have a lot of questions

I had a TAH BSO in October. I could not take any of the pain meds and just took tylenol every 4 hours - I did fine with that and ice on my belly. Since you have a 15 year old (mine was also 15) - I bet they give you a lot more support than you might think. Our son was great with me when the DH was not around. You might want to see if the kids can carpool at least for the first week - if not two. One great hint - make up some meals prior to surgery so that is taken care of for awhile. Veggie soup, chili works great to make ahead and freeze for the family. You won't want to eat it though, due to already having gas pain
Hugs to you and I hope that your recovery goes fast
Unread 12-18-2011, 04:24 PM

I had a DvH with BSO and am also allergic to a lot of pain medications. Can you take morphine or the synthetic of it Dilaudid? I can't take them but they do help. I would talk to the doc about this. I ended up on muscle relaxers and they really didn't help a whole lot. I also would try to recruit your older kids to help out. Maybe give them some extra weekly allowance or something like that. Do you know any of the moms close by who might be able to help?? You might be really surprised to see who would help. I hope this helps a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks ladies, I will see what I can do about help with getting the kids to and from school and I will ask the dr about the pain meds, morphine makes me have awful anxiety so we will just have to see thanks so much again ladies!!
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Hi, Roughneckwife. to HysterSisters.

To answer your question on how a c-section compares to a hysterectomy, the opinion is mixed. Here is an article on the subject.

Regarding driving, you may want to arrange for someone to drive your kids for a few weeks. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and was not ready to drive for three weeks.

You will need help around the house, but as your kids are older they probably can assist. You won't be cleaning for a while. For meals, maybe you can prep some dinners ahead of time and put them in the freezer. That will make cooking much easier. I also bought a bunch of frozen lunches for myself while my DH was at work.

Regarding pain meds, there are a wide variety out there. Let you doc know your problems, and they may be able to find something to help.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM

This might also be a great time to teach the older kids to cook.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register