Fibroids - but don't have any severe symptoms | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids - but don't have any severe symptoms Fibroids - but don't have any severe symptoms

Unread 09-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Fibroids - but don't have any severe symptoms

Hi ladies, I have fibroids: size of 24 week uterus which is large but I don't have any severe symtoms. I have plenty of energy no pain, I am done with my peroid no isses there but fibroid is not shrinking. I can feel it while while doing yoga. I had a IVP and it is mildly pressing against my uriters (spelling?). One docter thinks hysterectomy another MRI focused ultra sound or embolization to shrink it followed by robotic laproscopy. Not sure what to do. Anyone have above procedures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Re: Fibroids - but don't have any severe symptoms

I had a hysterectomy using the davinci system. Would the laproscopy be to just make sure the ufe (ultrasound fibroid embolization worked)?

Personally, I would start with the least invasive procedure. You can't put things back once they are taken out.

I would be asking questions such as:
Is the dr who is recommending hysterectomy not familiar with the less invasive techniques?
Why does the dr recommending ufe think it will work? How many times have they done the procedure on women exactly your case and what were the out comes? What complications have they had? How often? Why did they have them?

I hope this helps a little bit.

Unread 10-02-2012, 08:34 AM

Hi,

I agree with taurusus. It's a good idea to research less invasive options before choosing a hysterectomy.

I had a myomectomy first, then I developed more fibroids, bigger and worse than before and hysterectomy was really my only logical solution.

My mom developed her fibroids later in life. She is well past menopause and they're not growing. Her stomach is not flat, but she has no symptons and quality of life is good. She's not going to do anything about them because they aren't bothering her.

24 week size is big, but it's all about your quality of life. I don't know about the MRI or UFE, but less invasive is better. I had my hysterectomy because I had symptoms I couldn't live with any longer and menopause is a good 10-15 years off for me. If I wasn't having problems, I wouldn't have had the surgery.

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2012, 09:25 AM

Wow! I am a 20 week uterus due to fibroids. I have the pain, the bleeding and the clotting. I am having it out in 7 days. Doing the Lap hyster and it can't come soon enough.

I was not having to much of a problem 7 weeks ago when I went to see the surgeon. But I swear 2 weeks later and the bleeding got so bad that I swear my body was going through a horror movie scene.

Even on meds we don't have the bleeding stopped. Slowed down a bit but not stopped.

I hope you can continue to be free of symptoms.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register