Just starting the process | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just starting the process Just starting the process

Unread 10-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Just starting the process

Good morning.

I'm just starting down this road. I've had issues for a while, but was always told "it's no big deal" or "it's nothing to worry about". Well, I'm beginning to think otherwise.

First things first. I'm a 25-year bone cancer survivor. The tumor was in my sacrum, which is why any irritation to my sciatic nerve probably bothers me more than it bothers most other people, due to all the scar tissue I have. It also means my lower abdominal region is all wonky anyway due to the tumor and radiation.

I have had 4 major abdominal surgeries. 3 were full-incision, 1 was laparoscopic. The first was a oophorectomy, except they didn't remove my ovaries, they moved them out of my pelvis to preserve my fertility since I was going to be receiving radiation. The second was another oophorectomy to return my ovaries to their rightful place. The third was a c-section (obviously the ovary-sparing surgery was successful!), laparoscopy was a gallbladder remove. As a result of all of this I have adhesions that I know can cause some pain.

I've always been told that I would experience premature ovarian failure due to my chemo, but I've gone 8 years past the point when they were expecting that, and I'm still going strong. Too strong a lot of the time.

Four years ago I went to my PCP complaining about heavy periods and pelvic pain. An ultrasound was done, and I was told that there were fibroids but there were no concerns.

Two years ago I moved to a different state. One of the hardest things about moving is finding a good doctor! I finally found one a year ago, and when I requested my medical records for her I asked for copies for myself as well.

In the past two years I've been experiencing more and more abdominal pain, which doctors always attributed to IBS. Over the past few months, I've grown less certain of this diagnosis. The pain has been increasing, and my sciatic nerve has been giving me extreme issues that can't really be explained in any other manner...especially since it's bilateral.

Out of curiosity I looked at my ultrasound report from 2008, and I was a little surprised. I knew about the fibroids - one submucosal 8mm and one pedunculated 2.4cm extending off the top left. What I didn't know about was the ovarian cyst that is 2.7cm, and the endometrial thickness measuring 16mm! Now I realize that none is this is very big...but the endometrial thickness has me worried especially after reading on these forums and with my previous cancer history. However, since the report says "This is at the upper limits of normal", my PCP didn't even mention it to me and I never had a followup.

So...where I am today. I have an appointment with a real GYN now, in 3 weeks. Honestly I'm surprised I got in that quickly - in my old town you would have waited months unless you were pregnant. I have NO issues whatsoever if I need a hysterectomy - given my history of cancer most doctors seem to just want to remove any doubts and it's a reaction I've grown used to people having. I'm anxious to see if the fibroids have grown (do they ever shrink?), and what else they may find down there.

Oh...my monthly. It's anywhere from 21-28 days, almost always 23 though. Really really heavy, with lots of blood clots. As in soaking a super-plus tampon in an hour heavy. (Sorry if TMI). Again, my mother and three separate doctors have all told me "it's part of growing older", but again I'm wondering if I should have been more agressive in complaining?

Thanks for any insight you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Re: Just starting the process

A lot can change in the 4 years since your ultrasound. Try not to panic too much waiting for your appointment in 3 weeks. Spend the time researching and making a list of questions for your doctor. That way you can get all your concerns addressed and get on the road to some new tests to see what is wrong and how to fix it! Those people that tell you it's no big deal and nothing to worry about probably are just trying to put your mind at ease. Your right to worry, this is a big deal, and you need to find answers to your issues. Good luck and I hope your appointment goes well.

:cathugs:
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:02 PM

Hi and welcome! I too, just relocated to a new state and had to find a new dr this past year so I can relate : ) I hope you like the new doctor you find more information and options to help give you some relief. This site is a great resource! I wish you the best!

Jenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2012, 11:21 PM

hi, I have a appmnt in 2 wks for fibroids discussion with gyn. heavy periods super plus tampon and maxi pad in 2 hrs sounds all too familar....I will be sending good wishes to u. you have already been through alot, take care of you and keep your chin up.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register