Questions before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions before surgery Questions before surgery

Unread 04-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Questions before surgery

I have some questions that came up after my consultation and I dont have another appointment until my pre-op on May 1st so I was wondering if the sisters might be able to answer for me....

1.The first is what kind of restrictions do you get after surgery? Physical, driving ect?

2.I take medications daily for high blood pressure and diabetes, do you know if I will have to stop any of them before surgery?

That't what I have so far...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Re: Questions before surgery

As far as restrictions it seems to differ for everyone. Mine were nothing over 10 lbs, no cleaning, bending, sex etc... For at least 6 weeks. After that nothing over 20 lbs for 3 months. I've stuck by all restrictions and had a good recovery.

As for the meds, they'll give you instructions at pre-op. Be sure to follow them to the letter as well.

You'll do great, it's a positive life changing surgery and if you follow instructions you too should have a great recovery.
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks! As I have more I will post. Its always at night before i go to sleep that they pop in my head!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Restrictions seem to vary pretty widely by doctor and type of procedure, but, generally, you are not supposed to lift over x pounds (usually 10 or 15), drive until you are off narcotic pain meds and can stomp your foot, do any major housework like vacuuming or mopping, and place anything inside your vagina for several weeks. Your doctor will have a list of specific instructions.
I, also, am on medication for high blood pressure and my doc wants me to continue to take it until the day of surgery. Make sure you ask about it at your pre-op.
Good luck to you!
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:05 PM

I will, good luck on your upcoming date! Are you freaking out yet?
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:22 PM

I alternate between freaking out and just wanting the date to get here already. I am ready to be done with this. I think everyone feels a bit like that.
This site is a great resource and it helps to know that others have the same questions and concerns as I do. It helps lessen the anxiety to know that so many other women have gone through the same thing.
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:46 PM

I was totally freaked out to the point that "I was dying on the table". In all honesty it was way easier than I expected and even recovery was easier than expected. It's almost surreal for me to believe that 10 weeks ago I was "going to die" yet now I feel better than I have in years.
Best advice I can give you for after is to stay positive and follow "the rules". A lot of complications from what I've seen are a result of over doing things. If you take it easy and actually enjoy the opportunity to do nothing for a change you should be ok.
Also, don't compare yourself to others as we are all different. Base your recovery on how you personally feel compared with the day/week before. I did a quick run down every morning of how I was feeling and even kept notes so I could compare.
You'll likely go through a nesting period getting ready, cooking cleaning etc... Get it out of your system before surgery because its off limits after. Let the dust bunnies fly! It's natural to feel freaked out, but it's a fantastic life changing surgery. For the first time in years I'm actually looking forward to summer and wearing white again.
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:33 AM

Had another question, What happens if I start bleeding again before surgery? Also I have to take antibiotic vaginally for a week! Do you think I should just get that over with now or do it closer to surgery?
Ive also seen things on bowel prep? What is this and when/why do they make you do it?
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:40 AM

I think they will still do the surgery and I have a bowel prep ,,you start it 24 hours before you drink it and an enema to yay can't wait I think it's so it will be cleaned out before the hyst and also it helps so you won't be constipated after hope this helps AMY R
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM

They will do the surgery even if you have your period, no worries there.
As for the antibiotic you'll have to check with your doc on the timing.
Bowel preps, only some docs ask for it. If you need one they will give you full instructions. My advice is start earlier in the day than they tell you otherwise it could be a late night. DO NOT under any circumstances initiate your own bowel prep if you've not been told to do one as this could cause serious problems in surgery.
I hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register