Should I cancel surgery and get another opinion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I cancel surgery and get another opinion? Should I cancel surgery and get another opinion?

Unread 10-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Should I cancel surgery and get another opinion?

I am 61 and six years post menopause with absolutely no symptoms until about six weeks ago. Only one troubling symptom out of the blue - urinary frequency. After ruling out a UTI, I went to see a gyno I had seen back in my peri days for fibroids and he said a fibroid was prolapsing into my cervix and possibly causing the bladder pressure. His recommendation was a DaVinci hyst and had me schedule it for Dec 1. He said the cervix would need to be removed too since the fibroid was in there. This seems like overkill to me since I have only one bothersome symptom but he made it sound fairly urgent. Should i see another doc and get another opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Re: Should I cancel surgery and get another opinion?

I wouldn't cancel the surgery just yet, since you have time to possibly seek a 2nd opinion. Maybe with a uro/gyn. That would definitely give you more peace of mind. That said if you are going to go through with the surgery--I would highly recommend the robotic assisted surgery. I'm 61 and had by RAVH/BSO in august and I am amazed how well the surgery and recovery has gone. While I had it performed for other reasons (hyperplasia, postmenopausal bleeding and cancer risk) if you're going to have a hysterectomy that is the way to go. It's still major surgery, but you don't have any large incisions to have to deal with and loss of abdominal muscle function. feel free to ask any questions.
Unread 10-12-2015, 08:30 PM

Personally, I would get a second opinion. The key word here is "possibly" what if the fibroid is not the cause of your problem? It doesn't sound like he has a definitive answer for you. Is this information based off an ultrasound or MRI? If ultrasound I would request an
MRI to get a better picture of what is going on. This is major surgery and it isn't something to be taken lightly especially if it might not be the cause of your issue. There are also alternative treatments for fibroids UFE, Acessa, myomectomy so one of them might be an option for you.

With a hysterectomy you really have to think about if you are willing to accept the outcomes no matter what they are. Hysterectomy definitely improves the quality of life of many women but there are some that have a lifetime of complications too. There are both positives and negative outcomes with this surgery so it isn't something to be rushed into. Do your own research and really get a second opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2015, 09:57 AM

How big is the fibroid? Definitely get a second opinion... perhaps from a urologist as well.

Often urinary incontinency / pelvic floor issues are caused by improper body alignment and lack of movement. All along I thought my very large fibroids were causing me to pee when I sneeze or cough ... turns out not to be the cause after all.

Please look into Restorative Exercise with Katy Bowman - she has a great web site with lots of free info and books on Amazon, and there are trainers/therapists trained in Restorative Exercise all over the world.

In a few weeks of practicing the exercises I learned from the book I am already showing a LOT of improvement. Had a crazy sneezing fit the other day and no pee even though I had a full bladder. Woo!
Unread 10-14-2015, 02:50 PM

Thanks all. I will check out the books. I don't have any incontinence - just a sensation of something like a pencil poking the bladder thus a constant urge to go. I did see a urologist who said it might be IC but wanted to do a whole bunch more testing so I am still on the fence with that. Not one of these docs, even primary care that I started out with has suggested a blood test or any other baseline test other than urinalysis. I am still trying to schedule a second opinion but darn is it hard to get appointments these days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register