Just back from Dr lots of ?'s HELP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just back from Dr lots of ?'s HELP Just back from Dr lots of ?'s HELP

Unread 01-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Just back from Dr lots of ?'s HELP

Ok I just got back from my Dr visit she says my insurance wont cover hyster until I jump thru hoops like a dog and do all these tests like a lab rat!!! (sorry venting a little) anyway she said my uterus is very thick fluid filled and she put me on Prometrium I also had follicles that were about an inch (whatever that means) and she wants to do a IC test on the 15th then a DNC with lap ok my question is she brought up endometrial cancer granted she said that it was very rare in a woman my age(35) but since they wanted tests then they will have them. Is it possible I could have cancer??? has anyone else went thru the same thing??? and last but not least tell me I'm not going crazy!!!! at least she didnt blow me off like the other dr's and tell me it was all in my head so there is hope after all lol ok thanks for letting me rant and if you have any advice or have been thru this let me know cause now I have a lot more to worry about....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 12:56 PM

Hi racefan9

It's frustrating when insurance imposes restrictions, but often times it's understandable. No sense going through major surgery if something less invasive will help the problem and that's often what happens. My older sister was absolutely furious that she had to try an endometrial ablation before her doc would do a hyst, as she was "sure she'd need one anyway." Turns out the ablation was a wonderful success for her and she was able to avoid major surgery, major risks, major pain and a long recovery with missed work and loss of income and a huge co-pay.

When the lining of the uterus is thickened, it's typical to do an endometrial biopsy or D&C to check to see what's going on. My doc did an endometrial biopsy on me before my ablation and explained that it wasn't because he suspected cancer, just that it needs to be checked so it can be ruled out. It was fine. The thickness of the lining can vary during the menstrual cycle and be affected by other factors as well, whether the woman is ovulating or not, obesity, etc.

Having more tests can be frustrating, but at least you will have more answers that way, right? The more you learn about what's going on inside your body, the better your medical team will be able to decide how to make things better. If you do have interstitial cystitis and the problem is your bladder, then a hysterectomy won't help that. I hope all your tests come out okay. I understand the vent, really I do but I also understand having tests so they know how best to proceed.

Here's a link about the Structure of Ovary that should help with her reference to "follicles".

Please keep us posted. Sending gentle s your way.
Beth
Unread 01-03-2008, 01:23 PM

Thank you Beth I know tests need to be done lord knows I don't want to have major surgery if I don't have to and I'm sorry I sounded like a luneitic lol It's just after soooo many years of going thru tests for the same problems just to have more is so frustrating I do thank god I have a Dr that is truly trying to help and I know she is as frustrated as me but I have been trying to hold on to what patience I have left and today just flatened me I have been feeling selfish and like all I do anymore is complain and then I have the " how dare I act like this" moments lol who knows it might be hormones too but anyway we know that the IC test is going to come back fine but she had to test for that before the D&C would be approved(crazy) but anyway I'm rambling again sorry and great big 's to everyone here I truly feel blessed to have the wisdom and help of so many women that know how I truly feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 04:03 PM

Rats!! I just lost the original message I wrote. Basically what I wanted to tell you that I was 38 when I started to bleed. My doctor told me about the risk of cancer, etc. He ordered a bunch of tests...uterine biopsy(those are so much fun)...d&c, etc. They ended finding pre-cancer cells. With the right hormone treatment, the pre-cancer is now been gone for about 6 months. If you do indeed need a hysterectomy then you will be glad you at least have good reasons. Best wishes to you. Sending hugs your way.
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Thank you kettlecorn I'm glad your doing better 's to you too. What kind of hormones did they put you on? Right now I'm on prometrium and feel awful but I dont know how it's supposed to make you feel lol and another thing that the Dr told me as I was walking out the door is "you are about to have the worst period you have ever had and you can't take any pain pills like midol or ibuprofen" (why?)Yeah (not) so is the prometrium going to make it worse???? I am so confused she explained I was taking the pills because the lining was extreamly thick and this would help it shed but where did the fluid come from?? I know y'all can't answer those questions but in a weird way just writing them out helps thanks for putting up with me.

Unread 01-03-2008, 08:07 PM

I have no idea what the fluid is caused from.

I happen to have a pharmacist for a dad and his specialty is hormone replacement, what really works and what is just "junk". His words, not mine. I am learning so much. Stuff I really don't want to know about at 38. HRT is different for everyone. I personally don't take anything BUT prometrium or a natural progesterone in a cream from a compound pharmacy.

Prometrium at high doses makes me feel crazy and I literally cry all waking hours of the day. I become nonfunctional. Through trial and error I know that I can only handle 200 mg of progesterone or the water works come back.

What I learned from my dad is that you take the highest dose you can tolerate. If you can't tolerate, you talk to your doctor about reducing the strength and together you figure out how much you should be taking.

My battle for saving my uterus is ending on Jan 23rd. Nothing I have done has stopped the bleeding. Doesn't matter if it was 400mg of progesterone or my daily dose at 200mg, I still have the craziest bleeding with no rhyme or reason. My uterus lining is still very thick. I have had four doctors now telling me that I need a hysterectomy because of my once positive test for pre-cancer (went away with the progesterone therapy) but my continual thick uterine lining and long episodes of menopausal bleeding is too worrisome for my doctor. Hope that helps you understand more and know we are all here helping one another.
Unread 01-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Ok I just talked to my Dr's office I was asking questions about my ultrasound yesterday. I had a vaginal ultrasound and the tech said my right ovary was fine but she could not find my left ovary I did not ask about it yesterday I just assumed it was fine because no body said anything else about it well I was thinking about that this morning when my pain was intense so I called them back and the nurse said there was no measurement of the left ovary because she did not see it (I never had it removed) that is why she(Dr) wants to do a lap. Ok my question is has this happened to anyone else where they could not find your "parts"?
Unread 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM

racefan, i had an endometrial ablation may 07 that I had hoped would help my heavy bleeding. I lessened it, but not enough, so I ended up with the hyster anyway in Nov. I'm glad I did it. DH wanted me to just start with the hyster and get it done with, but mentally, I didn't want to wonder if the lesser invasive option would have worked. It took me awhile to realize that it wasn't getting better. The surgeries ended up 6 months apart. It was rather fast for me, but it needed to be done and at this point, I'm glad it is over with.

BTW, my last ultrasound (out of several the past year), the tech couldn't find my ovaries. She had to push my tummy around to get everything to move enough. She eventually found them. She said they just moved around and that was normal. I guess they are just hanging out in there going where they please!
Unread 01-04-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Ok my question is has this happened to anyone else where they could not find your "parts"?
I've seen several members report their ovary/ies not being seen on ultrasound. It's unsettling, but it's not too uncommon.

Unread 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM

Hi Racefan,

I had my second ultrasound on Wed. This time the tech couldn't find my right ovary. After using the trans vag, she tried abdominal. The Dr finally came in and found it. It had gone back to its normal size from the previous ultrasound. (I had a bleeding cyst on it last time.) Those suckers can run...but they cannot hide!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register