endometriosis | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endometriosis endometriosis

Unread 09-16-2001, 08:50 PM
endometriosis

For those of you who had hysters because of endometriosis...
Did your doctors find it necessary to remove both ovaries so there will be no recurrances? I have severe pain once a month for 5-7 days and can't stand it anymore. I've had several laps and an ablation but feel it's time to put it all to rest. My doctor wants to take my ovaries and I'm not fully understanding why. I would appreciate all of you endo sisters responses. What do you know that I don't? Have any of you just had the uterus removed and fared well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2001, 02:08 PM
And there's more

Another issue to consider is whether part of your recurring pain is adenomyosis (in which endometriosis invades the uterine wall). I had a hidden case of adenomyosis (didn't have the classic boggy uterus or very heavy periods). It was discovered by the pathologist. So far (though it's been a VERY short time) I've had total relief from pain, something I've never had from my laps.

Did your pain recur immediately after your laps (or after maybe a month off?) or did it go away and gradually return?

Adenomyosis is a possibility to discuss with your doctor and may affect your decision about your ovaries.

My endo may yet return. But I'm enjoying every minute in the meantime.
Unread 09-17-2001, 02:15 PM
endometriosis

There are a lot of things to weigh out before you make that decision. I did my research and I went on Lupron. That shut down the ovaries and my pain went away. That is what made my decision for me. I am only 30 so it was a tough decision. I didn't want even the possibility of going in for another surgery to remove more adhesions or the ovaries later. I am only taking herbal supplements, no hormones and am doing very well. Like I said, you have to decide for yourself and research all those links that Adrite gave you, she gave them to me when I was first here and they helped a lot. I am glad that I did have them removed and now I am pain free, but it isn't the solution for everyone. Hope I helped a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2001, 02:27 PM
endometriosis

Just wanted to give another point of view. Both of the ladies have given some great advice. I too ended up having adenomyosis after the path came back. I spent many years suffering with the most awful pain. The last two years though were the worst. Not only did I have extreme pain but gushing bleeding, pain with sex, clots sometimes the size of my palm and just overall exhaustion. For me nothing could have been worse than what I lived with on an every day basis. I am over 9 months now and symptom free. I lost both of my ovaries along with everything else. My recovery was a peice of cake compared to everyday living before. Dont get me wrong, loosing both ovaries comes with its own problems, hot flashes and etc but for me it was better than the pain. Hormones are fixable although some have a harder time than others. Its a very hard decision to make but is one only you can make. If I had to say there was one thing more important than another it would be that you find the most qualified surgeon that you can, with alot of experience in removing the endo. No surgeon can get it all but there are surgeons out there that can come darn close and that is who you want. It makes a world of difference.
One more thing I would suggest is to famliarize yourself with what happens to your body when the ovaries are removed. Your whole endocrin system is affected and for some it takes their bodies awhile to recover. That has been part of my dilemma.
Has my surgery been successful? I can undoubtably say yes. Just be prepared for what comes with it is the advice I would give.. S
Unread 09-17-2001, 04:06 PM
I may have your answer

I was in your situation. The way my explained it was that the endo is like a fire. And the ovaries are fuel for the fire. He would not take my uterues without the ovaries. In my case, anyway, my ovaries were overgrown by endometrial growths. You can't get rid of the endo permanently with out removing the ovaries. You may want to read up on this on the internet. Look under health, then specifically women's health. I hope I helped.
Unread 09-18-2001, 06:04 AM
Yes and No...

The ovaries do cause fluctuations which can trigger endo under one theory. However, there are some women over on "the road" who have had the endo return even without ovaries . So..be very careful. From what I understand the only way to rid yourself of endo is to find a very good surgeon and have the implants removed. If you don't you technically always have endo whether it's active or not (shedding). There are also special concerns for women who have tah/bso for endo -- you have to take progesterone to prevent hyperplasia(overgrowth of endo implants that can eventually become cancerous). It is a rare, but deadly condition.
Unread 09-18-2001, 06:53 AM
endometriosis

Angie is right about endo being able to return without ovaries. During my surgery, my Dr. found that one of my ovaries was destroyed by endo, but the other one was perfectly healthy. He left it in as he feels that it's senseless to remove a perfectly healthy ovary...I was 43 at the time. He doesn't feel that my ovary will necessarily cause the return of endo, and he feels that me being able to create my own hormones outweighs that possibility.

It used to be more routine for ovaries to be removed along with the uterus, but I'm glad to see that trend being reversed in more recent years unless there's good reason. That's just my experience.

My very best to you...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register