filled with fibroids and questions | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

filled with fibroids and questions filled with fibroids and questions

Unread 10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
filled with fibroids and questions

Hi everyone...I'm brand new to the Hyster Sisters and learned I had fibroids about 6 or 7 years ago when I miscarried. I've had them watched every 6 months or so to see if they were growing and within the past year, one in particular has grown to the size of a 5 month old fetus.

What brought me to my gyno this year, was because i had two episodes of intense abdominal pain - one lasting about 5 hours and the second time lasting 10 hours. It was excruciating. I went to my internist and he originally ruled out anything to do with my abdomen area (after having a colonoscopy and endoscopy) and thought it was perhaps my fibroid(s) which he was alarmed to feel how large it was upon examination.

I went to my gyno and she was unsure about the fibroid causing the pain but thought I should have it out. I went for a second opinion - a doctor with 35 years experience, affiliated with a good hospital and highly recommended from a friend - and he was confident that the abdomen pain had nothing to do with the fibroid. He also said I should have it removed.

So, now I'm confused - totally on the fence about having a hysterectomy - as I'm kind of still young (47), petrified - and am wondering if anyone out there experienced pain in the upper abdomen area from fibroids - kind of like a gall bladder attack or in that general area just below the rib cage center.

Any advice would be appreciated!! thanks and looking forward to your feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Re: filled with fibroids and questions

yes just prior to my surgery I ended up going to emerg for intense pain just as you discribed. They also could not determine the cause however they did send me for a CAT scan and discovered the fibroid was 5 inches in diameter. I was also strongly reluctant to have a hysterectomy however within 4 weeks of the CAT scan my Fibriod almost double in size. That and a pap that could not rule out HGSIL convinced me that a Hysterectomy was the safer route to go as opposed to any other options.
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Only based on my experience--my fibroids (7, including one the size of a large apple) caused *awful* pain. I realize there could be lots of things causing your pain, but certainly--couldn't it be the fibroid? Just curious--do you still have your gall bladder?

Have you thought about a myomectomy as opposed to a hysterectomy?

Hugs,

dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2009, 04:52 AM

I still have my gall bladder and in fact had it checked...my mom has a "sluggish gall bladder" and described her pain as the same pain I experienced...but tests came back negative.

I'm going for an MRI this week to see if I'm a good candidate for UFE - not sure since my doctor described all my fibroids to the size of a watermelon! I'm sure he means one of those small round ones...my belly doesn't extend THAT much.

Not qualified for a myomectomy because dr said fibroids were too large and I would loose too much blood during the surgery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register