New!! Tried almost everything for heavy bleeding/EXTREMELY painful periods!!! | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New!!  Tried almost everything for heavy bleeding/EXTREMELY painful periods!!! New!! Tried almost everything for heavy bleeding/EXTREMELY painful periods!!!

Unread 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
New!! Tried almost everything for heavy bleeding/EXTREMELY painful periods!!!

Hi all... I am new, and have suffered with heavy bleeding and EXTREMELY painful cramps for about 3 years. I have tried the depo shot, and most recently the Mirena IUD. (Which the dr said was "guaranteed" to help) That was my last option before a hyst.

I have had the Mirena just under a month. I have not stopped bleeding (there has been days of spotting) since I had it put in, and in fact, the pain has gotten worse. Not to mention the headaches that I have had EVERY day since I got it put in. The discharge oder is almost unbearable and frankly quite embarrassing. I am not sure sometimes if it is only me that can smell it.

I was in the ER a week after it was put in, because the dr's office stated that "minor" cramping after is normal. I was not having "minor" cramping, it feels more like my insides are about to fall out. I had an ultrasound done, and I am not sure if it was the tech in the ER, but they couldn't see the IUD on the ultrasound, so, after 3 catheters, and a pelvic exam in the ER, they sent me home with percocet and told me to call my dr. They again said that "minor" cramping is normal!!!

I have an appt in a week for my 1 month follow-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Re: New!! Tried almost everything for heavy bleeding/EXTREMELY painful periods!!!

I'm so sorry you are hurting. One of my sisters has it and loves it. She was ready to throw in the towel the first few months because of continued spotting, but she's glad she stayed with it because she doesn't really have a period anymore. She had to quit BCP due to severe migraines, but since mirena's hormone delivery is different, her neurologist allowed her to use it and hasn't had any headaches with it. I'm sorry to hear you are having headaches and such awful cramping. How disappointing.
Good luck with your appt. next week. I hope you turn a corner and start feeling better soon- one way or another.

Sending
Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register