Advice needed and appreciated--myomectomy | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice needed and appreciated--myomectomy Advice needed and appreciated--myomectomy

Unread 10-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Advice needed and appreciated--myomectomy

Hello ladies!

I'm new here! Have been reading the stories on this site for about a month now.

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Oct. 18 ( only removing uterus keeping ovaries and cervix). I have 3 fibroids the largest is 9cm. I have never had problems with heavy bleeding or a ton of pain. I was having abdominal pain and palpated a large mass in my abdomen plus I am peeing every hour on the hour. My doctor recommended a hysterectomy as I am 38 y.o. and don't want anymore children.

Well, I'm terrified to have it done. Worried about sexual dysfunction ( I have a high sex drive and have no problems with orgasms), being thrown into menopause and weight gain.

Have been reading about myomectomies on this site and wondering if that would be a better option for me?

The main thing I'm worried about with the myomectomy is my stomach not being flat afterwards. I have a bump now from the fibroids and I'm wanting that to be gone!! Read that a lot of people have problems with a large abdomen after myomectomy.

Any advice or shared experiences are appreciated! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Re: Advice needed and appreciated

HI,

I had a myomectomy and it did not make my abdomen larger. I honestly had not heard that before and I'm not sure why that would happen. My surgery was a long time ago, but it made a big difference in making my abdomen look normal again.

In my case more fibroids grew so 11 years later I still ended up with a hysterectomy, but I was only 30 when I had the original surgery so that's a fair amount of time keeping my uterus. You're older than I was, so you have better odds of avoiding a hysterectomy.

Have you pursued all alternatives like UFE, myomectomy, etc? It would be worth getting a second opinion, or as many opinions as you need, to truly explore all options to address the fibroids without resorting to a hysterectomy.

If you're keeping your ovaries, you wouldn't be thrown in to menopause. I have heard people say removal of the uterus can trigger menopause earlier than you would otherwise expect, but I have no experience or statistics on that point so i don't know how credible that is. I kept my ovaries and I'm doing fine.

A hysterectomy does not guarantee you weight gain. I'm 2 months post surgery and I'm down 8-9 pounds. I started walking day 5, increased my time / distance each day and hit 3 miles by 3 weeks and now I average 3.4-3.5 miles when I walk. I went back to the gym at 5 weeks and do an hour of cardio, usually elliptical / treadmill. I haven't noticed a difference in that area - it's still all about watching calories I take in and ensuring I burn enough calories through exercise.

Sex is the same for me as it was pre-surgery. But that varies so much by woman. It's very personal / individual.

It really sounds like information on alternatives would be helpful for you before you go through with surgery.

Good luck to you!
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks so much for your reply! Very promising that you went 11 years until you had to have your hysterectomy! I have a call into my Dr. and am going to ask him about a myomectomy. He told me that in his experience the embolizations are very painful for patients and more than 50% of the time they have to have a hysterectomy anyways. I am just really feeling strongly that I should try to keep my uterus if at all possible. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2012, 08:26 PM

I had a laprascopic myomectomy to remove 8 fibroids with the biggest being 9cm. A lot of doctors are more comfortable performing a hysterectomy so that's what they will most likely suggest but you can find doctors who will do the laprascopic myo's. I was concerned about having it done laprascopically because of their big size and location but my doctor said they can remove really any size fibroid or location these days ..... its just finding the right doctor to do it. I do feel like my stomach is still big and I'm almost 3 months from my myomectomy but I am overweight and think I just have to loose weight in the middle anyways. But it feels nice not to feel those big hard lumps anymore in my stomach and be peeing every minute.

Good Luck
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM

Are you worried about having to go back for another myomectomy and ultimately having a hysterectomy anyways? That's my biggest worry about the myomectomy. I really can't take off work!
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajj View Post
Hello ladies!

I'm new here! Have been reading the stories on this site for about a month now.

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Oct. 18 ( only removing uterus keeping ovaries and cervix). I have 3 fibroids the largest is 9cm. I have never had problems with heavy bleeding or a ton of pain. I was having abdominal pain and palpated a large mass in my abdomen plus I am peeing every hour on the hour. My doctor recommended a hysterectomy as I am 38 y.o. and don't want anymore children.

Well, I'm terrified to have it done. Worried about sexual dysfunction ( I have a high sex drive and have no problems with orgasms), being thrown into menopause and weight gain.

Have been reading about myomectomies on this site and wondering if that would be a better option for me?

The main thing I'm worried about with the myomectomy is my stomach not being flat afterwards. I have a bump now from the fibroids and I'm wanting that to be gone!! Read that a lot of people have problems with a large abdomen after myomectomy.

Any advice or shared experiences are appreciated! Thanks so much!
I had my Hyst 9 yrs ago & didnt gain but 3 pounds in all that time & if I wasnt a lover of beer & pie. I prolly wouldnt have gained them. My sex drive actually improved because the pain I had prior to hyst was gone. I had 1 ovary removed & only last year at age 46, did I begin to have sweats at night & flashes during the day.
I had the other ovary out this Sept, tumor, cysts & leiomyoma ... I am almost 4 weeks out & have more flashes, sweats & tinnitus, but my sex drive is returning.
I knew that I could not avoid menopause forever, but chose 9 years ago to fight to keep ovaries if possible & postpone menopause til closer to natural age. At 47, I am now there.
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajj View Post
Are you worried about having to go back for another myomectomy and ultimately having a hysterectomy anyways? That's my biggest worry about the myomectomy. I really can't take off work!
No I'm not really worried about that..... my surgeon said that at my age 45 the likely hood of them growing back is slim to none. He said usually women who have a myo. in their 40's will not need another procedure. Even if they left some small ones in there I'm hoping I go through menopause around 50 so I don't think they would grow so much that they would be a problem. The ones I had removed were in there for 20 years before they became a problem. So going by my age my doctor said I would be all set.
If I were in my 30's then yeah I would probably need another procedure in 10 years or so.
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks so much ladies for your replies and for sharing your experiences. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it! Talked to my Dr. yesterday and I am going ahead with the hysterectomy. I have never had a problem with fibroids and now I have 3 large ones that have grown in a matter of 9 months. He said with how rapidly mine grew he advises a hysterectomy. He is going through my c section scar and also going to repair a hernia and remove the cysts from my ovaries. I may even need a bladder suspension. Wish me luck!! I will let you know how it goes on the other side. Thanks again!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register