do we need a second opinion when we are happy with the 1st? | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

do we need a second opinion when we are happy with the 1st? do we need a second opinion when we are happy with the 1st?

Unread 07-08-2016, 01:41 PM
do we need a second opinion when we are happy with the 1st?

Hi,

I keep reading everywhere we should get a second opinion. I am really happy with that decision, I have been wanting to get an hysterectomy for a long time. (even though right now, I am crying so much haha)

I discussed the operation with a friend of mine who is a nurse in gynaecology. She is agreeing it will be the best thing for me as she has known me for years and knows my struggles.

Should I really get another opinion?

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Re: do we need a second opinion when we are happy with the 1st?

Hi Nina:

HysterSisters strongly recommends a second opinion not only to make sure you need the surgery, but to also make sure you are having the best version of the surgery. My second opinion had MUCH more cutting & pasting in mind for me than the doctor who eventually performed my surgery (whew!).

Here is a post that may be helpful for you: CLICK HERE.

Ultimately, only YOU must live with your post-op results, good OR bad. I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 07-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Re: do we need a second opinion when we are happy with the 1st?

I decided I didn't need a second opinion. The doctor doing my surgery is one I trust above any other doctors I've met--he delivered our last baby, and belongs to the same practice that belonged to the doctor who delivered the two before that. Basically he was mentored by the best OBGYN in our area. When he was working with me during delivery, he was devoted to doing the least medically invasive birth possible--I didn't have to have Pitocin or hardly anything like that. So when he said surgery was the best option, I believe him.

He's completely board-certified for the procedure he's going to perform, so I feel comfortable with that. Also, I like his bedside manner. A few years ago, I was in the hospital for an emergency surgery, three months after he'd delivered our baby, and he stopped by my room, even though he hadn't admitted me or been part of the treatment decision--he saw I had been admitted and remembered me and wanted to see if something had happened during delivery that brought about the surgery. I cried, he was so kind, and when he realized they weren't releasing me when they said they would, and I wanted to get home to my baby and my kids, he made it happen. He's a very caring doctor.

But that is my experience. I don't have a super-complicated issue; standard adenomyosis (possible endometriosis, which the doctor said he'll only be able to see when he goes in there). If you trust your doctor, feel comfortable around him or her, and have done your own research, I would say you should only seek a second opinion if there is any lingering doubt in your mind. But like the previous poster said, sometimes the second opinion is not a good one!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register