Upcoming hysterectomy - getting scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy - getting scared Upcoming hysterectomy - getting scared

Unread 07-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy - getting scared

I have been reading some of the post. Some are talking about wraps? Do you get those from the doctor or do you buy them yourself? I am having a Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I seen some post about constipation. I don't eat fruit so what else can I do? I am getting nervous, because I didn't know about these things. I expected pain, but I seen some are 8 weeks out and still has pain. How long will there be bleeding? Also I have had two previous C-sections. I am worried about scar tissue. Has anyone had trouble with scar tissue....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Re: getting scared

Hi there! It's normal to be nervous. It's good you are on the site to gather up information. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. You will see a lot more posts about issues that others are having. Keep in mind that if others do not have issues, there is no reason to post.

As it relates to a binder some sisters find it useful and some do not to help support your belly as you are healing. I did not find that I needed one, but everyone is different. You can ask at your pre-op to determine if your hospital offers this or not and if they don't you can buy one on this site or on Amazon. I asked my doc about it and he didn't think I needed one, and I did not.

Related to fiber to get your system moving, you can eat fiber 1 bars or bran cereal, oatmeal, whole grain bread, etc. Other things that will help with moving things along are eating magnesium rich foods. My favorites were nuts and dark chocolate. Add yogurt to help get the beneficial digestive bacteria back into your system. Or the other option is to have probiotic capsules, which will accomplish the same as yogurt containing the live beneficial bacteria. Drink plenty of water. Walk as much as you comfortably can.

As to bleeding, some experience it and some do not. Spotting is a normal part of recovery when you have your cervix removed, and there is a vaginal cuff in its place. This cuff has dissolvable stitches and as the stitches dissolve this can cause spotting. Doing too much too soon can also do the same. Just remember to follow doc's orders with regards to activities and listen to your body.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.
Unread 07-16-2016, 06:37 AM

Good morning, tvidrine40, to Hystersisters!
My surgeon recommended against a binder, but every case is different; if your surgeon recommends it, your hospital may provide you with one, or you can buy it at any medical supply store. As for the constipation, in addition to what falfrenzy recommended, try peppermint tea. For an excellent source of magnesium, add pumpkin seeds to your oatmeal, or try making a smoothie with almond milk, cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds; that's what ultimately worked for me - please note that flaxseeds contain plant estrogens, which might not be appropriate for you. To avoid straining, sit on the toilet with your knees drawn into your chest, and your feet elevated on a low stool; this straightens the rectum, so the poop can pass through without straining. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2016, 07:54 AM

Tvidrine! I really can't add anything more to what Falfrenzy and Tiger Eye have already said. Just from my own experience, I had laparoscopic surgery - a binder wasn't offered and I felt I didn't need it. I've managed the constipation issue through fiber (Fiber One original and raisin bran), prunes, prune juice and veggies - and LOTS of water.

If you've not downloaded the HysterSisters' What 350,000 Women Know... downloadable guide, do so - it's indispensable. It answers so many questions.
Best wishes for a successful surgery and steady recovery!
Unread 07-16-2016, 08:04 AM

Howdy, TVIDRINE40!

I had two months before my surgery to worry and prepare. The best thing I ever did was to come to this website and these message boards to see what to expect and afterwards for guidance, help, and to check in.

Going into this as a morbidly obese patient, I was flippin' scared. I decided to start exercises where I contracted and released my abdominal muscles for counts of ten for three sets of 10 since I couldn't do sit-ups. I believe this helped me when the time came to roll out of bed, sit up, or even stand up from a sitting position. You don't realize how much you use those muscles! Practice deep breathing exercises for ten reps. They will have you do this in the hospital after being incubated for the surgery.

I don't mind telling you that they pre op appointment can scare you a bit... Talk of possible complications from the anesthesia, surgery, blah, blah, blah... my brain started to melt down. I knew I had to listen, but then I just asked my doctors the most important questions: if that should happen, is it fixable? My physicians were the best and I trusted them when they told me these complications don't happen often and that they'd take good care of me. That calmed me immensely!

I retrospect I should have bought a small pillow to hold against my abdomen. I didn't use a binder at all. I wore soft flowing house dresses the first week and graduated to sweat pants the second. The pillow is a good thing to hold against you when you cough, or need to get up from a chair, or someone makes you laugh. It's also a great buffer between the lower part of your seat belt and you. That can be a b$@!h when it locks up on the drive home.

It's amazing how for such a major surgery, how short your stay in the hospital can be and how soon you start to feel better. The first day was the most difficult for me because of the painkillers and general soreness. Be prepared to pass "the test" in order to be released. Can you dangle off the side of the bed, walk, pee, pass gas, and eat solid foods?

Make sure you've nested before the surgery... I bought a ton of soft foods: soups, ice pops, pudding, jello, fruits, smoothie mixes, premeasured 1 liter water bottles of my favorite water. I believe consistently drinking ~ 64 oz a day and regularly taking the Colace stool softener saved me from constipation. You really have to make sure you don't eat foods that bind you like rice, bananas, etc. because it could cause you to strain. The pain meds and iron supplements can even constipated you.

The most discomfort for me came when my bowels started back up. I won't lie, it hurt. And the hard part is not pushing since you don't want to aggravate the area. Once done though, it was blessed relief. It's another good reason to hold off on really hard to digest foods for about 10 days. I walk a short bit , about 5 minutes, after each meal to let gravity help with digestion and do my innards get a chance to rearrange themselves.

Just lying around sounds great and all, but really? Plan for that too. Coloring books, embroidery, knitting, books, DVDs, magazines, puzzles... Plan for when the boredom sets in!

Also, keep a log of when you take which meds. It helps with questions from the doc. The first 10 days I took two naps -- and I never take naps-- one in the morning and one in the afternoon. It made a huge difference in my recovery. Now I'm down to one in the afternoon.

Sorry to go on and on, but I just wanted to share how everything on the other side of your surgery is so mush easier than you think it can be! One day at a time... Baby steps... And DON'T overdue it because you're feeling better! Your body has been roughed up and needs lots and lots of rest.

And remember, your sisters are here for you whenever you need us!

Now go out and fill up that calendar with exciting things to take your mind off that surgery date!
Unread 07-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvidrine40 View Post
I have been reading some of the post. Some are talking about wraps? Do you get those from the doctor or do you buy them yourself? I am having a Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I seen some post about constipation. I don't eat fruit so what else can I do? I am getting nervous, because I didn't know about these things. I expected pain, but I seen some are 8 weeks out and still has pain. How long will there be bleeding? Also I have had two previous C-sections. I am worried about scar tissue. Has anyone had trouble with scar tissue....

Hello! I bought my binder from this site (actually a whole care package with binder, compresses panties, bag and other items). It has helped me - I had TAH in July 12. I did not bleed after surgery which I was very surprised about. DR told me it was normal not to bleed but I may have some light spotting. Nothing yet thankfully. I have a vertical incision with staples. Those come out on Tuesday - 1 week after surgery. You will take laxatives, stool softners and maybe GasX - but hopefully it won't be too bad, drink plenty of water and walk. Best wishes for your surgery & recovery!
Unread 07-19-2016, 12:25 AM

Thank you so much for such an informative post
Unread 07-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy - getting scared

Thank you all so much for the advice. I am getting things around. I have 2 and 1/2 weeks before surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register