Scheduled LAVH At home preparations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At home preparations At home preparations

Unread 03-21-2017, 07:17 PM
At home preparations

I'm scheduled for my LAVH on May 2 and I'm starting now on getting things figured out. I'm a huge planner and I am so nervous about not being able to care for my home and kids while I recover. I have my boyfriend home for the first week and my grandmother for the following week and a few others on standby if needed for after that. I have an 8 year old and a 2 year old and taking care of them is my whole life. I'm pretty clear on what to expect for pre op but I'm not sure about things I will need for post op. I keep seeing posts about pillows and mesh panties and I don't know if this stuff should be added to my list for things I will need once I come home. I will be having my uterus, Fallopian tubes, and cervix removed. I'm open to any suggestions I can get to make my recovery go as smoothly as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Re: At home preparations

Hi Jenniebagel1 to HysterSisters!

You will definitely want to prepare your household for your downtime. Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. Be sure to read the related articles. What I found most useful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets.
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

Since you have young children, here is an article:Recovering from Hysterectomy with Small Children

You will need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. I am glad you are having help.

Regarding mesh panties, these are more personal preference. I got them in the hospital and found them uncomfortable. Other women love them. You may try just wearing your normal underwear at first and change only if you need to. The main idea is to not have underwear that rubs incision(s).

Unread 03-21-2017, 09:54 PM

Hi Jenniebagel1, I had the LAVH on March 9th so I'm still somewhat early in the recovery but here are some of the things that I found helpful and very happy to have...

--extra pillows for my bed and recliner. I ended up getting a couple of soft regular size pillows, a firmer body pillow and a small pillow for my stomach as well as the pillows that I typically use at night. I wasn't sure whether I would need them but am very happy that I have them for the recovery.

--long nightgowns (sleeveless and short sleeved). I normally wear sweatpants and a t-shirt to bed but figured that I wouldn't want anything rubbing against my incisions so I bought several nightgowns in a size or two larger than I would normally wear so I'd have the extra room for swelly belly and just keeping the fabric from rubbing the incisions.

--small basket to keep medications, remote control, books, notebook, etc on a table next to my bed

--abdominal binder - I've used it mostly when I've been up and moving around and going on short walks. There have been some days when I didn't wear it because it was uncomfortable and other days when it really helped. If you get one, I would recommend keeping the receipt so that it can be returned if you don't end up using it.

I also found it helpful to rearrange my kitchen cabinets and bathroom closets so that the stuff I figured I would be using was on the lower shelves and easier for me to reach (without stretching or bending).

It's great that you will have help during your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2017, 04:19 AM
At home preparations

I was given a pair of those mesh panties at the hospital; I hated them, and I got rid of them as soon as I arrived home. My surgery was also laparoscopic, and my surgeon recommended against anything binding, so I chose bikini underwear - in white, because I was done with Aunt Flo - which wouldn't rub against my incisions. You may also have some discharge during the first week, then again around the third week, as your vaginal cuff starts to heal, and the internal stitches start to dissolve; keep some pantiliners or thin pads on hand for that. For your recovery, regular walks are highly encouraged, so make sure you have a good pair of walking shoes. For around the house, I would recommend a grabber, so you can easily pick up small things off the floor without any undue bending or reaching. Also look for a probiotic supplement to restore your good bacteria, which may be affected by antibiotics used during the surgery. Also look for activities to occupy your recovery time, like a Netflix binge, books you've always wanted to read, adult colouring books, or a favourite crafts project. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 03-22-2017, 05:49 AM

All of what they said, so much great info here, i made lists! And my reacher from amazon has been invaluable and I downloaded an app that let me borrow ebooks, Overdrive. I had to go to the library and get a library card but it gave me access to better books that Kindle didn't have and I don't have to borrow the actual books and worry about getting them back and keep up with them. I have never watched so much tv, my daughter actually had to set up my smart tv so I can watch amazon prime shows and movies. She told me about the book app too. I am only 50 but apparently behind the times lol. I also try to stay on a regular schedule with getting up and going to bed even if I am not sleepy I read and try not to get off track. I did nap the first week but havent needed to since. It will help when I have to go back to work.
Unread 03-22-2017, 02:44 PM
At home preparations

thank you for sharing the book idea! I'm so nervous about my upcoming hysterectomy. My nerves are shot. I'm trying to prepare myself as well as my home before my surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighwil View Post
All of what they said, so much great info here, i made lists! And my reacher from amazon has been invaluable and I downloaded an app that let me borrow ebooks, Overdrive. I had to go to the library and get a library card but it gave me access to better books that Kindle didn't have and I don't have to borrow the actual books and worry about getting them back and keep up with them. I have never watched so much tv, my daughter actually had to set up my smart tv so I can watch amazon prime shows and movies. She told me about the book app too. I am only 50 but apparently behind the times lol. I also try to stay on a regular schedule with getting up and going to bed even if I am not sleepy I read and try not to get off track. I did nap the first week but havent needed to since. It will help when I have to go back to work.
Unread 03-22-2017, 03:09 PM

My hysterectomy was abdominal. While some are not big on the mesh panties, for me they were the only thing I could wear because they don't have a snug waistband. I had a laparoscopic second surgery and asked the hospital for more to bring home. They are seamless...and while not all that attractive, wonderful to me! They hand wash very easily...
Having things on hand for issues of constipation is a must! Stool softeners, Miralax, and my doctor suggested laxatives if all else failed. Moving around and staying hydrated work hand in hand with the list above.
I found ice packs to be helpful when lying down that brought a lot of relief and I was able to control some pain this way. Staying ahead of your post op pain would be helpful.
You will understand your limits when your body tells you so. It may seem like you feel "good to go" but the best advice is your doctor's.
I did not have young children around during my recovery, and it sounds like you have childcare arranged.
I wish you luck!
Unread 03-22-2017, 05:43 PM

I used dry rice to make several cold packs. About 2 cups in a doubled quart ziploc bag, and reusable.just throw back in the freezer. I still need one in the evening at almost 3 weeks. Dry rice in a tube syle sock or pillowcase makes a great heat pack, microwave and shake a minute at a time until it's warm enough.
Unread 03-22-2017, 05:47 PM

Thank you everyone for all the amazing advice!! I will be adding these suggestions to my list of preparations!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register