Things that I found helpful in the hospital... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Things that I found helpful in the hospital... Things that I found helpful in the hospital...

Unread 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Things that I found helpful in the hospital...

Pre-op, drink as much water as you can up until your pre-op instructions say you can't have anything by mouth. It's hard to start an IV or draw blood from dehydrated veins, so this will help them have to poke you fewer times (hopefully!)

I brought my own scented lotion from home to use while in the hospital. It made me feel less 'clinical'. I also brought my own lip balm from home. Hospitals are usually dry places anyway, and you will probably have dry mouth from the meds and from being intubated and on oxygen. Having something you like, that smells good and is familiar makes it all more comfortable IMHO.

Warmed IV fluids are reeeeeeeally nice. You'll probably have to ask for them, but trust me, they have them!!

My cell phone charger!! Wouldn't have survived without it!! (OK, I would have, but I would've been a lot crabbier!) But don't forget to take it with you when you leave, too!!

Ask the nurses what the normal routine is so you know what to expect and when. For instance, what are meal times? How often will they be checking in on you? When does the doctor round? What are visiting hours? Knowing all of those things helped me rest more comfortably.

Shave your arms before going in. It sounds funny, but having the hair on your arms ripped off by the super-heavy-duty-adhesive tape they use to hold your IV in place is no walk in the park. Or, ask them to shave the spot where they're going to start the IV before they do it.

The only thing I loved about the catheter is that I could drink water all night and not have to get up to pee. Take advantage of it if you can!!

Oh, and don't be shocked by the numbers on the scale in the first few days post-op. I was -- on post-op day 2 I was up 12 pounds from my admission weight! Just remember, they are pumping you full of fluids and you are also drinking lots of water, as well as all the swelling going on. It's not 'real' weight gain. It will not last forever. ;-)

If you're not happy with your clear liquid tray right after surgery, try to 'down' as much of it as you can, anyway. They judge whether or not to advance your diet by how much you ate and how you tolerated it. The oatmeal I had for breakfast the morning after surgery was the worst I had EVER tasted, but I knew I had to eat it if I wanted that grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.

I think that's all for now!! Above all, I would say try to have as much of a sense of humor as you can. It will make things go a lot more smoothly. And don't be afraid to speak up! They want you to be happy and comfortable . . . and they're not mind-readers, so tell them what they can do for you!!

Best wishes to all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register