Pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Pre-op

Had my pre-op interview with a hospital nurse today (by phone). I have to go tomorrow for some lab work, but that seems to be all the pre-op I have to do. No pre-bowl prep or anything else like I have heard about on this board. Is that normal or do I have a lazy doctor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2004, 03:10 PM
pre-op

That should be bowel by the way
Unread 08-24-2004, 03:36 PM
RE: Pre-Op Interview

Hi Sadie:
I live in Baltimore, MD and had a TAH on July 27. I am post-op today 8/24. My pre-op was two days before the surgery. I had interviews and all lab work done. The Pre-op lab tech/doctor talked to me for an hour and got total family history etc. Even gave me the inhaler and paperwork to take to the hospital with me. I was very pleased with the way in which they worked with me. I am not sure what you mean by pre bowel, but I know that I could not leave the hospital after surgery until I had had a bowel movement. The nurses had me trying to walk up and down to get the gas moving and my bowels.

Good Luck!!!!1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Pre-op

Hi sadie

I had a pre-op visit with a nurse at the hospital the week before my hyst, and that was it until I checked in for my op at 7 am... at 7.30 someone came running in and said 'anyone taken any blood from you?' 'nope' I said.. so they did that and I was in the theatre by 8am, so bad luck if I needed blood I reckon

I didn't have any bowel prep either.

Good luck !
Unread 08-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Pre-op

My TAH is scheduled for 8/30 and my Doc's instructions included a enema the night before, nothing to eat or drink after midnight and a betadine douche the morning of surg. Not sure if this standard or just her preference. You could call the office and ask one of the nurses. Hope you have a safe surgery and a speedy recovery.
Unread 08-24-2004, 06:05 PM
pre-op

Sadie21740
You need to call your doctors office & ask about the prep.Standard procedure for any surgery is at the very least nothing to eat or drink after midnight to prevent aspiration during surgery.
Unread 08-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Pre-op

My surgery's on 9/3 and it's been scheduled for almost 4 weeks now. I had to ask to have my platelets counted (I have ITP), and I also had to ask about a bowel prep. I'm opting to do a magnesium citrate prep, since I'd feel better about having it done going in, even though the nurse said it wasn't necessary. Don't get me wrong, I'm reeeeeeally thankful not to have to do the nu-lytely again -- blech! I'm still waiting to have my pre-op instructions mailed, and since I should have them by now I suppose I should call. What's really bugging me, though, is that I won't know what time I go in for surgery until the night before -- ack!

I guess it matters how closely you and your doc work together. I've seen mine several times over our last 10 months together, so I guess he feels he knows what he's in for. I am going in for one last appointment on Monday -- since I have a feeling that my uterus is pretty enlarged after the Lupron and that it's causing some stress incontinence, they're going to see if they need to do a Burch "while they're in there".

So don't worry too much about your doc being "lazy", especially if you've seen him/her a lot recently already. If you are having any concerns, though, schedule an appointment if possible so that you can air out those concerns while you still can.
Unread 08-25-2004, 07:06 AM
Pre-op

I was really surprised also how uneventful the pre-op thing was. I went yesterday for it and all it invovled was an interview with a nurse that explained the procedure, was advised nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I had bloodwork done and that was it . No mention of bowel prep.
Oh yeah I also had an EKG, but it was only attached for about 15 seconds.
When I asked if I didnt see the anasthesioligist, they said I didnt need to do that or anything else because I am healthy.
So I was quite surprised. (pleasantly)

Linda
Unread 08-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Pre-op

Thanks for all your responses. Went in for the lab work this morning - very uneventful. Talked with the nurse yesterday - she answered all of my questions. Guess all I need to do now is get ready. Taking a 1/2 day Friday to finish cleaning the house, getting my hair and nails done Saturday (don't worry - I am leaving one unpainted). Sunday the DH and I are going out for a nice breakfast and to a movie and will spend the rest of the day trying to get in as much affection as we can (if you know what I mean).

Tamer
Unread 08-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Pre-op

I had my pre-op yesterday, 8/26 scheduled for tvh/bso on Monday, 8/30. I saw my dr. first - I have no bowel prep also, he said it wasn't necessary. Was registered in the hospital. spoke to a nurse and anesthesiologist and a physician's assistant did a physical on me. Felt very safe and had all my questions answered, everybody was very nice and helpful. Hope they are just as nice and helpful day of surgery. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register