Vaginal Hysterectomy with A&P repairs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hysterectomy with A&P repairs Vaginal Hysterectomy with A&P repairs

Unread 09-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy with A&P repairs

Hi,

Can you tell me about the total vaginal hysterectomy - I am about to go through it with a/p repairs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Re: Vaginal Hysterectomy with A&P repairs

I had a TVH but didn't have any repairs. My TVH was very uneventful and I haven't had any issues since. There are many members around here who had the same procedures that you're facing and hopefully, someone will be along soon to share their story.

If you're up to reading, you might like to check out Our Hysterectomy Stories for even more of the member's experiences.

Best wishes and I hope everything goes well!

Deb
Unread 10-02-2010, 05:28 PM

hi, I had a tvh about 3 months out. no repairs though, well I can tell you from my tvh the worst part was the waiting and worry of the unknown.. but after getting through my surgery it was a big relief and not so bad as I feared.. after I got out of surgery there was pain I am not gonna lie but that is to be expected and everyone handles pain differently..
I had my catheder out and packing and it didnt hurt just a quick uncomfortable moment and it is over. Drink alot of cold water and take your pain meds..I only had light bleeding for 5 days and pink for 1 week then brown, then yellow now clear it took 8 weeks to get to that point.. So keep some pads for about 2 months..The first week was bad for me the first bm was hardest of all, I haddent gone for 9 days!!! had to use a fleet s...
2nd week out got to feeling a little better but it wasnt till my 7th week till I finally felt back somewhat better or normal. I did feel the extra large tampon feeling in me for about 4 weeks then it went away.
okay now for the personal stuff.. no my vagina is not shorter and sex is good.. still have the O" just not as intense. no dryness.. My bladder is happier dont get that full feeling any more. pms- yes i still get it not as bad though.. 2-3 day and done.. even very light cramps? weird..
Now I feel it was worth it and do feel the surgery helps..
Hope this helps and good luckkkk......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2010, 01:59 AM

Hello. I am 5 days post-op from TVH (and had a laproscopy at the same time to check my ovaries and adhesions out).

I can tell you that jo123 is right - the waiting and worrying about the unknown was the worst thing. I hated those weeks leading up to the surgery. Really had to keep myself busy - spent a LOT of time reading the posts on here and asking my own questions. I went through every emotion there is and I learned to let it happen - I figure it's best to get through it all now, than bottle it all up for later.

The day of surgery I suddenly felt calm and ok. I normally hate the anaesthetic room, but I felt fine - perfectly happy for them to knock me out and get on with it! It took a couple of hours, and when I came round I was comfortable. Felt a bit nauseous but was given plenty anti-emetic drugs so never threw up.

I was on a morphine drip and I had that for as long as I needed. In then end, I was off it after about 16 hours, catheter came out the morning after surgery and I felt OK. Sore, tired, but definitely ok.

The pain is different - and more manageable - than the pain I had pre-surgery. I bled very lightly for 4 days. I have no bleeding or discharge at all now. I am still on painkillers - nothing too strong though - and I'll take them as long as I need. I was home after 3 days.

My advice - ask all the questions you need to, no matter how small they might seem at the time. Drink plenty water afterwards, don't worry about the pain meds you need - being comfortable enough to rest is the most important thing. And let yourself ride whatever feelings you need to.

Take care and good luck!
Unread 10-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Thank you so much for the responses - I am comforted by this site and all it has to offer.

Lollie-82 .. I am now two weeks out from surgery and I am an emotional wreck. I am fine one minute and crying the next. I am questioning everything, angry and trying to seek that place where acceptance comes.
At moments I feel very strong and then I get frightened. My husband is being patient but I can see this is hard for him to.
I know I need to do this but I am reliving all the what if's - telling myself that until I get to the other side I dont need to be thinking of them ...lol
I am a very verbal person and cant keep things inside long - funny this is the one time I wish I could keep it inside and work through it on my own. I feel so raw on the outside as I watch all these emotions play out for everyone to see. Am I normal - is this normal???

Shawnlee
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:37 AM

YES it's normal!

I was angry, scared, excited, depressed - everything! For the week beforehand, I wondered if it was the right thing, even though I knew it most definitely was. I think I needed to consider the "what ifs" so that I was prepared for any eventuality. For instance, I had no idea if I would keep my ovaries. Thankfully, they were healthy and they're still where they belong, but I needed to understand the implications of everything. I think that helped bring about the acceptance of the surgery - I could come at it from an informed viewpoint, and know that it was the right thing for MY life.

I think acceptance is super important - yes for your marriage, but most of all for yourself. I'm sure from everything you're saying, and all the questions you're asking, you will come to it in your own time. Even after surgery, there are still things I need to come to terms with - such as how the years of illness have changed me, the relationships it has affected. But I am sure that's all part of the healing.

Feel free to send me a personal message anytime if you need someone to offload onto - as I'm doing little else, I'm online rather a lot at the moment!
Unread 10-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Shawnlee,
I can identify with everything that you're feeling. I am having the "full meal deal" total LAVH with a&p repair and urethra sling. Two surgeons, 3 1/2 hours of surgery. I know I need to do this, but the waiting has been so hard. I've been waiting for 2 months now, with 3 1/2 weeks left to go.
I'm trying to prepare myself mentally, trying to eat very healthy and exercise.
This site has been very helpful!
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Hi,

I had a TVH with a rectocele repair. I had a hard time sitting for 6 weeks, so it helps to have a soft cushion or pillow to sit on or just lounge. I found my bottom heavy so standing too long was not a good idea. You will want to rest and take it easy with repairs so you heal properly.

I am glad I had the repair and have not had any trouble since. Post op recovery takes time and patience to heal so just go with it and try not to overdo. I needed the 6 weeks rest and time off of work.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.

Unread 10-07-2010, 04:53 PM

I had the Vaginal hyster with A&P repairs. I felt fine, but my tailbone was really sore for the first few weeks. I tended to sit on one "cheek" or the other. I used the heating pad and motrin for the pain. Motrin actually helped more than the prescription pain meds. I too kept a pillow handy. A friend of mine bought me one of the travel ones and I used it in the car to sit one. It really helped. Apart from my tailbone pain, I felt fantastic. I hope that yours goes well.
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Thank you all for offering up your stories - it won't be long and I will have one of my own lol..
I am doing ok and the acceptance part is coming, well I am calmer than I was anyway. I came to the conclusion I can lose my mind and drive the ol blood pressure sky high or keep tellling myself all will be fine.
Only 12 days to go but who is counting
Thanks again
Shawnlee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register