New here--cervical dysplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here--cervical dysplasia New here--cervical dysplasia

Unread 11-20-2004, 09:01 PM
New here--cervical dysplasia

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and wanted to express my thanks to all the support out there. My family has been very supportive but it kinda makes it easier to go through all this with people who have been through it or will be going through it. Kinda eases my mind hearing other's stories and experiences.

Here's where I stand. Just got results of my biopsy on Friday. Doc said "good news is that my biopsy results came back normal", "bad news is that we don't know where my dysplasia is coming from" (probably higher up in my uterus). So this means that I will have a cone now which is scheduled for Dec. 13th followed by TVH (hopefully) on Dec. 15th, depending on results of my cone. I am definitely having a hysterectomy because of my history with cervical liasions just not sure which way it will be. Doc seems to think that the test results will come back normal and will be able to perform TVH and keep my ovaries if not I will have a radical hysterectomy. I'm not so much scared of the op as I am about the results because this is what I wanted to do 5 years ago when I went through this same experience but he wouldn't let me have the op because I was only 27 at the time. My mind is just playing really mean tricks on me. Just scared. I guess it will all work out since I will only have a day to really think about it before surgery, bets waiting 2 weeks for results. Anyways thanks for listening and thanks again for all the support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2004, 12:49 PM

(((Hifibi)))

Welcome to Cancer Concerns!

Sorry that you are having problems with abnormal PAP's. Some years ago, I also had an abnormal PAP, followed by a normal biopsy. So, we did the cone and sure enough, those cells were just hiding up inside! The cone removed all of the cells, however, and I did not require a hysterectomy at that time. A cone biopsy is considered to be the "cure" for approximately 90% of women with dysplasia.

I have a question, though, about your hysterectomy schedule. I understand that you are having the hysterectomy regardless due to your previous history. And it's great that your doc is doing the cone to make sure that you are still in the precancerous stages to determine the best surgical intervention. However, it seems that most docs wait 4-6 weeks after the cone before doing the hysterectomy. This allows time for the cervix to heal and has traditionally been done this way because there is a lower complication rate (is my understanding). My other question is: if for some reason they find that there is cancer involved, will your surgery still go on as scheduled, or will you be referred to a gynecologic oncologist? Gyn/oncs are the experts when it comes to female cancers, and they know all the most current surgical and treatment techniques. If cancer is suspected or known, a gyn/onc should be consulted.

I want to wish you luck with your cone biopsy. I hope your results come back favorable to allow for an easy surgery and recovery. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Unread 11-28-2004, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome Jeanine.

My DR, who is performing the cone is a gyn/onc. I was immediately referred to him again because of my history. He says that my hysterectomy had to be performed 24-48 hours after my cone or 6 weeks after. Since I'm having a hysterectomy regardless of the results, he says there's really no advantages or disadvantages of these two choices. The only difference is get it over with or wait. So I chose to get it over with. The only trouble I'm having is getting all my Christmas shopping done before the op. I guess if that's all I having trouble with then I'm going pretty good. At least this is keeping me busy and my mind occupied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Cancer Concerns

Hi Hifibi,
You sound like exactly what I am going through too. I have a Cone Biopsy on the 30th of Dec too, hopefully followed by a simple Hysterectomy. Otherwise I am supposed to be referred to an Oncologist if the Cone is not clear. I had a LEEP in Sept due to Severe Dysplasia. I do think about CA too but try to not dwell on it (my Mammagram showed some spots so I have to go back for a diagnostic one) All I can do is try to make sure all of the women I know have had a PAP and a mammagram recently. Can you believe how we all put those off because we are SO BUSY, or because the procedures are undesireable... if we had only known.
I am new to this sight too and although I have a wonderful family, its nice to visit with someone in the same boat. I hope your Biopsy is clear and you don't have to worry anymore.
JudyEllen
Unread 11-29-2004, 05:20 AM

Just wanted to welcome you to hystersisters!!!!

Hugs,

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register