The hardest thing about the wait... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The hardest thing about the wait... The hardest thing about the wait...

Unread 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
The hardest thing about the wait...

I'm a nurse and I've spent most of my life around hospitals. I was thinking about what is making me feel so anxious and I decided it's not about the surgery, or complications, or general anesthesia, or pain, or hospitals, etc. I realized that the hardest thing for me is facing something as difficult as this and not being able to just dive in and get it over with. That's how I usually deal with something I'm worried about--I just get it over as quickly as possible and move on. It's so frustrating right now because I can't just GO--I have to wait for a certain date that is much too far away. Anyone else feel this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2008, 08:42 PM

Yes I felt that way to begin with. I had about as long as a wait as you do now. Truly the time has passed very quickly even if anxiously. I go on July 2nd and now it seems not very far away. I'm currently cleaning my house from top to bottom-I'm truly in a nesting stage. Also, I spend ALOT of time on here and that helps. ((HUGS)) It will be here before you know it.
Unread 06-27-2008, 08:51 PM
too long...sorry

Hmmmmmmmm Do I fell that way? Yes, yes, yes, yes and HECK YES. I decided on my hyst in early May and because I wanted to finish the school year and had a cruise planned (& paid for) and because I'm doing Da Vinci, I could not schedule my Hyst until JULY 29!!!! By the end of it I will of waited like 12 weeks. Also, if you count the time from my original illness (when the severe trouble with my ungrateful Uterus started) and my surgery it will have been over 6 months. I HATE that I can't control any of this, and that I can't just GET IT OVER WITH. As you can see have the patience of an EXTREMELY impatient saint.

The first 4 -6 weeks I was busy reading, freaking out, crying a lot(no kids) , researching a ton (too much, actually), not sleeping and making 1 1/2 million lists to prepare for surgery. And to be honest the newness of the worry, etc. has kind of worn off. I still have 4 weeks til my surgery, but now I'm just doing house cleaning and more practical things. I have 3 weeks til my cruise and am really spending a lot of my energy on that.

I've had 2 periods since I scheduled my hyst - 1 really simple one that made me question everything and then the last MAMA PERIOD that reassured me that I am doing Exactly what I need to do. Well, I have only 1 more to go, and I don't care if it's the Bambi of all periods, I'm still getting my HYST. It's kind of funny this way --- periods wise 3----2----1----HYSTERECTOMY.

These boards have been my saving grace, during the good and bad times. Information, advice and support are sooooooooo necessary and sooooo welcome. Good Luck waiting....it'll come. And just be thankfull --- at least you're before me!!!

Sending Blessings and Patience
TANK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2008, 09:21 PM

I planned my only 3 weeks after I made the decision to have one and I was so glad that i didn't give myself a lot of time to chicken out. I was so busy with TAKS and did not have time to research much or think about what I was really getting ready to do. All of my friends told me to do it as quickly as possible so I would not worry to death about it. I am glad that I did. The shorter the planning time is the better off I was.
Tank when do you go back to school. We start back Aug. 14 and the kids start the 25th. I hope you give yourself enough time to heal before school starts.
Unread 06-27-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningsusie
Tank when do you go back to school. We start back Aug. 14 and the kids start the 25th. I hope you give yourself enough time to heal before school starts.
Same dates as you 14th / 25th. I won't do all the professional development days....just a few of them....and I'll have 27 days between HYST and school starting....should be a stretch, but I'm doing Da Vinci and will do 3/4 days a week the first few weeks if necessary.

Sorry Ampyali -not trying to hijack your thread and sorry for my long reply earlier....I really need a hobby other than waiting for this silly surgery. Like you said....the wait MAY BE the worst part.
Unread 06-27-2008, 09:46 PM

I only work part time so my new hobby is finding lots of really unimportant things to do so I don't have to think about surgery. The good news is my house is more organized than it has been in a long time! Goodwill isn't gonna know what hit 'em...
Unread 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM

I am so the same way! I just want it done and over with, however, my date has been changed like 4 times already!!! I am soooooooo frustrated and dont know what to do! The date went from July 23, to Sept 29, to June 25, and now we are back to July 23!!!! It was everything from sickness to my family couldnt come to help with the kids!!! The date has been changed that now the Insurance has the guts to tell me I need to stop changing the date!!!! grrrrrr

I am so anxious, nervous, scared and in self denial that I believe my husband when he tells me that I am changing the dates cause I am so scared! (It has to do with circumstances beyond my control, but still!!)

I sometimes think that I am making all of it up and that it really is not that bad! Then I have to go see the doctor cause of anemia, or pain, or the 30 day period starts again!! LOL! I am now in the nesting stage and cleaning like crazy!

Well good luck to you on your surgery! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM

ampyali:

I know exactly how you feel! I too work in a hospital, in the ER. I am accustomed to seeing people, patching them up & sending them on their way. The waiting was awful, but I have found that my recovery is far more frustrating. I expected an open & shut case that would be complication free & I would be back to my normal activies in no time.

My body had other plans for me & I did experience major complications. I am still out on FMLA 8 weeks post-op & being cooped up in my home is driving me stir crazy! My mind is ready to go, but my body has not caught up just yet.

There must be a reason for what I am going through & at times I struggle to find the answers. being on the "other side" of things has been aneye opener to say the least. It has given me a new found level of compassion, perhaps patient advocacy is in my future.

I wish you & everyone else on the pre-op side a speedy, healthy recovery!
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:16 PM

Yes, I think I have an idea of how you feel, and I can relate to it.

I scheduled my surgery three months out -- so I had lots of time to go over every detail in my head. It got so I was completely overtaken (some people might say obsessed ) with the whole notion of surgery!

You're not alone in this line of thinking, not by a longshot. Many of us have been in the same position.

This is not a surgery to be taken lightly, and that may be another factor in your anxiety. While most hysterectomy patients have good outcomes, there are no guarantees. We have entire forums dedicated to various sets of complications and difficulties after hysterectomy surgery. And it is of little comfort to hear that most do well if you end up in the group of (((sisters))) who has a problem or two after surgery.

to you. I wish you a successful surgery.
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:16 PM

Right there with ya. My dr had openings before July 29th, but that is what works for dh's schedule. He has an 8 day break off of work. I guess if I did not need him around than I could of done it sooner, but I don't think I could do it without him to help around the house.

I still have 1 more period to go and I am dreading it. I would love not to have 1 last period, but what can you do.

Hang in there, just think yours is sooner than some of ours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register