Feedback on Lupron... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feedback on Lupron... Feedback on Lupron...

Unread 06-02-2004, 05:59 AM
Feedback on Lupron...

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone decided to try the lupron shots before going for the hysterectomy?

If so, could you let me know how it worked for you?

I am scheduled (for my 2nd time - 1st time I cancelled) for 5 Aug. I have an appointment on 11 Jun to talk to my doctor about other options.

I have endo, I had laparoscopy (?) about 8 years ago. This doctor did not do it and hasn't done anything just said there is a simple solutions - take it out....

My major problem is PMS - PMDD. I can deal with the cramps and bleeding (most of time). My periods are every 25 days - always right on time and last from 4-6 days. So, it's not like I am that bad, just can't deal with the mood the week before. I get so fatigued, depressed, and emotional to the point it is ruining relationships. The day my period starts, I'm fine - I can actually feel the weight that was on me get lighter. And he said he would keep my ovaries - does that mean I will still have the PMS signs??

That's why I am considering the Lupron - so that I won't get my period, but I have heard that can cause other problems.

I'd appreciate anything anyone can tell me!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Lupron

Hello. I have endometriosis and have had three laparoscopies, tried several BCPs and went on Lupron. The Lupron put the endo into submission for about a year after the six month course. Keep in mind, general thoughts are that you shouldn't be on it more than six months due to the risk of bone loss. However, it might be a good way to buy yourself some more time before taking the leap to a hysterectomy. I have waited out the endo now for 12 years and am finally ready to deal with the realities of hysterectomy to end the pain and other complications.
My advice, which is not a medical opinion, is to try the Lupron and hold on to your "equipment" as long as you can.
On another note, some people can't tolerate the Lupron and have unpleasant side effects. I was lucky and felt the best I had ever felt while on Lupron. However, since my Mom has Osteoporosis it wasn't recommended for me to go on another course of treatment.
You can also get information on Lupron and related endo information from the endometriosis association.
Good luck to you-
Unread 06-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Feedback on Lupron...

Hello,

I'm having a hyst for endo, I've had endo for over 9 years and I'm 28. DId the BCP, Depo Provera and have been on Lupron for a year and have had two laproscopies. My doctor knows its only recommended for 6 month treatment but with HRT as addback and a bone denisty test to monitor the bone loss he put me on it long term.

Well June 11th one year on the Lupron I'm ready for a hyst. I knew last year that it was either the Lupron or the hyst, the doctor said they would both mimic each others side effects with menapause. MY DH and I figured what do we have to lose to try Lupron, Since January when I'm do for my shot the endo pains keep coming back so the Lupron is not working like it use to so I'm ready for a TAH/BSO but it did give me a year to make sure I would be ready for a Hyst especially where my DH and I have no children.

Lupron side effects, different with everyone but mine were:

- Loss of Hair (Just Noticeable to Me and the Shower Drain)
- Weight Gain
- High Blood Pressure (At 28 I never had a problem was a very good healthy low and it went up bad enough that I'm on meds, after the Hyst and the lupron is done with gonna try to go off meds)
- Good cholestorol went way down and bad went up,
- Hot flashes, dryness, pricker bush feeling down below but soon after starting HRT they subsided.
- Depression feeling and Moodiness
- Bigger Boobs, not that 36DD were big enough they had to grow even more with the meds!
- Joint pain occassionaly
- LOSS of SEX DRIVE (really stinks)

Everyone is different and some people aren't bothered by side effects, unfortunately I was but it gave me time to Think. Doctor said a hyst I have a 90% chance of pain free life afterwards! I have endo and am removing the ovaries, I have not had a period since 2001, but the endo keeps growing because the ovaries are still there even with out my periods.

I hope this helps some any questions don't hesitate to ask, Good luck with your decision, if I had to do it again, Yes, I wasn't emotionally ready last year for a hyst and the Lupron gave me that time I needed, even with those nasty side effects.

Past 10 years or so I have forgetten what its like to be normal and Im hoping this hyst will get me to as close as normal can be. In fact, I always thought since a teenager that PAPs and stuff were suppose to HURT, nobody ever told me that they weren't suppose to hurt.

Take care, sorry to blabber on and on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Thanks..

for the info!

That is what I am afraid of - all those side effects and you don't know if you are going to get them until you get the shot!!

I definately don't want the moodiness or depression - I get enough of that with PMS.

I think I am just going to try the serafem again for the PMS and see if that works. Most of the time I can deal with the period pain..I'm just not ready for the hyst yet!!!!
Unread 06-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Feedback on Lupron...

Hi there Serenityinsc,

My reasons for taking Lupron were different to yours - my doc's aim was to decrease the size of uterine fibroids to make surgery less of a risk. It worked brilliantly for me and would recommend Lupron for this type of surgery.

I had the Lupron injections for 3 months before my mymectomy in 1997 and my SAH 5 weeks ago. Each time the only side effect I had was hot flushes. I also suffered from PMS and still do - I kept my ovaries, and, I still had the PMS with the Lupron - although I was cranky the whole 3 months but I think that was due to the stress of the upcoming surgery as I was very very nervous. My hysterectomy was not through choice and I do not have kids. I'm 37.

Lupron is a controversial drug to take - I'm glad you're doing your research. I'd try and stay off of it and try to take some milder medication. Lupron cannot be taken long-term - my doc wouldn't let me take it for more than 3 months for fear of inducing a surgical menopause - not what I wanted at 36.

I hope this helps you make an informed and correct decision for you. Hugs.
Unread 06-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Feedback on Lupron...

Serenityinsc,

I was like Lost in France. I had (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids for surgery and it caused short term "chemical menopause".

I had some side effects: hot flashes, night sweats and some joint aches.

And I lost my sex drive for awhile. But,truthfully,that was more from the fibroids!! When you have "alien" visitors in your uterus, it doen't do much for the love dept.!!

And would I recommend lupron?? In a minute for fibroids and short term use. I agree with Lost in France. Lupron can only be taken for a minimum amount of time. My Dr. did not want to go beyond (3) shots. Long term, lupron is not good for the body. Sounds like an alternative drug would be safer for you long term.

Good Luck.
Unread 06-03-2004, 05:58 AM
This site is so great!

Thanks again.

I'm not sure what I am going to do - but I don't think I will do the lupron either.

I'll just talk to the doctor and see what else he has to say...I'll probably start taking the Serafem for the PMS, and deal with the rest until I just can't take it anymore.

Has anyone else taken Serafem for PMS?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register