LAVH Kept ovaries, ghost pms after hysterectomy??? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kept ovaries, ghost pms after hysterectomy??? Kept ovaries, ghost pms after hysterectomy???

Unread 11-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Kept ovaries, ghost pms after hysterectomy???

I kept my ovaries too, I went in just after completing my menstrual cycle (my doc jokingly called it my last hoorah). At the time my next cycle was to come around I got the tender breasts and mood swings, ...I also had "ghost" cramps altho nothing like my real ones.
But the results of surgery are worth it, even though i am just under five weeks post op. My energy is slowly going up so I imagine my iron is getting better from not having the heavy periods so I am hoping my chronic anemia will soon be a thing if the past.
Sending prayer and hugs to you <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Re: Kept ovaries, ghost pms after hysterectomy???

I was just thinking of turning my period tracker back on so I would know ahead of time when the PMS is coming! I get tearful and breast tenderness and phantom cramps. My immune system is also pretty weak during that week, too. But I can handle all that, compared to the heavy periods I had before.

I had my surgery in June and I feel so much better overall. The anemia was dangerous, and I took irritability to a whole new level! I'm getting a lot stronger now, and my head isn't foggy any more.

BTW: my partner had some blood loss after a different medical procedure, and became anemic. And I just had to say "Now don't you feel sorry for me being anemic all those months"
Unread 11-18-2014, 10:43 PM

I kept an ovary and still get 'middle pain' at ovulation, sore breasts before I start and tired a lot that last week. The sore boobs stop the day after my period would start. I still keep track of my cycles and still experience cramping at weird odd times. But oh so nice, not to have a period !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2014, 01:10 AM
Kept ovaries, ghost pms after hysterectomy???

Not sure how to navigate page. I too am two years on from surgery and had long recovery. May I ask what problems you have with vaginal cuff as I do too and no one to talk to
  Quote:
Originally Posted by janecat View Post
Hi I'm a fellow sister here had my DvH in Oct 2012, so we share anniversary's years apart now I'm on the other side of it all,let me say yes, hormones are little buggers needed or not they respond and our bodies do too, as for me I have it all...mood swings food cravings, body aches ,crying jags,ect I guess I'm slowly shutting down the first 6 months after my hysterectomy I had terrible hot flashes, and told my Dr. she said. it will take time and some people go into early menopause, but you may still have all the PMS you had before the surgery, and I'm having less hot flashes, for this month, and have been feeling breast tenderness and ovulating pains crazy, so glad not to be bleeding to death and anemic anymore and fainting from it all. take care be kind to yourself you have a lot to heal from even thought we had Dvh it was still major surgery okay, and recovery can take a year for some, I needed that and I still have now new issues from surgery bladder incontinence, plus vaginal cuff issues. but it gets better or you can learn to handle it.

by all means have yourself a glass of wine, if you drink, and or take a relaxing bath on days you have pms, and or do something to feel like a lady a manicure and day with gal pals you need to be pampered. take care.
Unread 11-19-2014, 03:12 AM

I also kept my ovarties, its 12 months since my hysterectomy & its only in the last 3 months that my body has started to act as though it were getting a period. My consultant said this is totally normal. I was wondering what the heck was going on! Its just the body doing what it knows.

Sending you healing hugs

Anj xx
Unread 11-19-2014, 06:32 AM

Hey luv 4 years later I still get as well. Welcome. Crave sweets as well.
Unread 11-19-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn.Jones View Post
Thank you for the responses. Not exactly what I was hoping for as the whole reason for my hysterectomy was to keep me from wanting to kill my husband, bleed to death, and be so exhausted once a month, I have an appointment with my PCP on Tuesday and a follow up with my OB / GYN Surgeon later in the month so I will DEFINITELY be sure to get some answers then!!! Thank you Ladies!!!
Oh, PLEASE come back with answers as I am experiencing andwonderingg about the same exact issue!! I feel like I'm going crazy and don't know if I should book an appointment with a shrink or my surgeon! Thank you so much for posting this issue!
Unread 11-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Total tulips,

I still feel like my cuff / pelvic area gets irritated if we are close too much in a weekend. Even at 9 mo out from surgery. Almost like my body says," Remember you had a hyst, give me a break ! lol "

I'm reminded, I'm not 25 anymore. But it's so much better than at 5 or 6 months. I'm reminded of why many say, full recovery may take a year. I've nearly fully regained my stamina in daily activities. But I guess if the body didn't tell us it needed rest, we'd never stop as women, huh ?
Unread 11-19-2014, 11:51 AM

It's been 1 year, 13 days since my hysterectomy and I still have PMS and spotting. The spotting is enough to require a pantiliner. I kept my ovaries and cervix. Doctor said the cervix is the same tissue as the uterus was, so it is still shedding monthly.

The PMS is worse since the surgery, but I console myself by remembering that it is not going to go on forever. Just hang in there😊
Unread 11-19-2014, 04:44 PM

I am so glad to read this discussion thread. My gyn did not want to take my ovaries as she said the hormones are important to my bone health. I turn 55 in a couple weeks. I have been surprised that I have had PMS symptoms ever since my LAVH in February. I wanted everything out of me after years and years of hell (sorry), but she pushed the bone issue on me and I assume she is the expert. I am thrilled not to be bleeding excessively each month, but as a third grade teacher and avid runner, I am ready to kiss PMS good bye a NOW!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register