Fitting into your clothes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fitting into your clothes Fitting into your clothes

Unread 07-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Fitting into your clothes

I am 4 weeks post op and I tried to put a pair of my capris on today- they didn't even come CLOSE to doing up.
My left side is much more swollen than my right as well- any ideas why? It's the side that has given me the most pain but in the last day the pain is worse and the swelling is much worse on that side.
My question is when after a TAH can I expect to wear my own pants and what can I do to speed the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM

Low rise waistline. I was able to wear my shorts/capris a few days post op.
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Oh I wanted to add, I started using the swelly belly band as soon as I was discharged from the hospital. I used it and still do, RELIGIOUSLY. It helped the swelling go down extrememly fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2008, 10:28 PM

Problem is with my incision I don't think low ride would work. UGH I look pregnant and it is really upsetting to me.
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM

You could try the low rise with an extra long shirt? I noticed a lot of the smock/babydoll styles in the stores (like Target) that come down well below the low rise waist.
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:24 AM

I also had a TAH 4 weeks ago. I am still swollen and more on the left side. I was that way b/4 surgery. My sister-in-law had hyster last summer and her side is still swollen. I hope this goes down because when I go back to work, I can't buy new clothes!
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:45 AM

I had my TAH on June 16th, seems like my belly is getting bigger instead of smaller :>(. I ice myself down about 5 times a day, but I think it is so swollen because I am up and about so much. Went to Nashville this weekend, had Kenny Chesney tickets-I ended up staying in the hotel room why my DH went to the concert. I was scared about the big crowds, stairs and lines to the ladies room. I did see the fireworks on the fourth, they were truely awesome!
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:50 AM

I am nearly 2 weeks post-op. I spoke to my doctor yesterday, and she said that the swelling due to water takes longer if you have a thyroid condition (up to 2 weeks or longer). I didn't know that before. Also, the swelling due to abdominal trauma really doesn't go away completely until about 6 weeks have passed. I guess we all have individual differences, but that was her guideline to me.
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:25 AM

Try shopping in the men's dept, don't laugh but men's hiking shorts have elastic in the waist band and lots and lots of pockets so that you do not have to carry a purse. Hiking shorts and a long tea shirt or Hawaian shirt look kinda cute
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
don't be too impatient!

It will take time to get into your regular clothes. Just wear some that were looser fitting B4 surgery. You may even feel bigger as time goes along, but then all of a sudden, it seems, everything fits again. I am 18 weeks post-op and wearing everything, weight down to pre-op level, only a little bit of swelling at incision site. For months, I've been wearing a little cut-out square of sweatshirt material (soft fluffy side against skin) over the incision site--helps "pad" things a little. I may ditch that next week or so.

And yes...being upright and doing too much will make it swell. Don't worry, it will go away. :-) Use that ice bag!!!!

There's not much more you can do other than ice it down, drink lots of water, eat right (lean protein and veggies, fresh fruit) and exercise as much as is comfortable. I am a swimmer...maybe that helped me a lot (cold pool water feels AWESOME!).

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register