What happened at your 6 week post op appt? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What happened at your 6 week post op appt? What happened at your 6 week post op appt?

Unread 07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
What happened at your 6 week post op appt?

My 6-week post op appt is tomorrow. It's my first appt since surgery. Just wondering what to expect. I'm so NOT looking forward to it and being probed. My exam pre-op was painful. My recovery has been smooth but painful nearly the whole time. I don't want to go to this appt., but of course I know I have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Re: What happened at your 6 week post op appt?

Hi Pinkcarnations! . Congratulations on getting to the 6wk mark! I hope you have been pampering yourself . At my 6 week checkup I did have a very quick internal exam. It seemed like most of my "surgery date sisters" did as well. I, like you, had VERY PAINFUL exams pre-op. I was (and still am) on pain medication at the time of my 6wk appt. (The pain medicine for me is mostly because of a separate nerve pain issue, but a tiny bit from surg at that point too.)
How my appt went- The nurse checked my blood pressure & asked about any problems or concerns I was having regarding the surgery &/or the recovery time. I was asked to undress from waist down. My doc came in. First he looked at my abdominal incisions to make sure no signs of infection & that they were healing ok. He did a very quick, gentle, manual exam to check how the vaginal cuff was healing. He said I still had a very distinct suture line & some inflammation still- but IT DID NOT HURT . Because of his "discovery" he extended my "nothing inside vagina" restriction to 10wks. After I got dressed he went over what he had found & did during the surgery and what the pathology reports showed again (I had an appt at 2 wks also).
Overall a "not bad" (in my opinion) visit. I have had much worse. I had been worried about how it would go since I was having pretty sharp pain at the cuff for a few days prior. But, it really didnt hurt me. My suggestion- same as with any of those dreaded exams- we always need to try to relax everything. That will make it easier. Also, if you are nervous- feel free to tell your doc and/or his/her nurse that you are feeling that way. They will then make sure to be extra careful & let you know what is being done & what to expect.
Best wishes for only good news at your upcoming appt.
Also, I dont know if you've seen it yet, but your surgery date has a recovery thread set-up for you & the women who had their surgeries that week as well. It is a wonderful place to give & receive support since you are all traveling a similar path at the same time. I have found my recovery thread sisters to be incredibly supportive friends.
Best wishes for a smooth rest of your recovery. Let us know how your appt goes.
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:26 PM

My appointment went fine I was checked and it did not hurt that much and also had an ultrasound too. Both did not hurt too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Same here no pain at all. He told me I was not completely healed and was still on all restrictions until 8 weeks. I was so nervous when I went into see him, but it was fine.
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:55 PM

Thanks Ace, Lexi, and Dawnsy! I hope mine turns out to not be too bad and that my healing is coming along fine.
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:10 AM

Let us know how it goes. We'll all be thinking about you. gentle s.
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Well, I survived. It was a little uncomfortable, but painless. He used the speculum, which was what I was really quite afraid of, but amazingly it wasn't bad at all. I suppose my painful parts were removed during surgery or perhaps it was the extra pain pill I took, or both, but I didn't writhe in pain this time anyway. At least this doctor says a compassionate "sorry" whenever he causes a patient any discomfort at all. I've never had a doctor do that before.

My stitches aren't healed yet, so I got the 'nothing in the vg for another 4 weeks' instructions. I'm taking Norethindrone, a progestin, to finish 'burning' away any trace of endometriosis I may still have. Norethindrone makes me sad and depressed, but my doc said I just need to take it another couple of months and then I'll be done, even though he originally gave me a year's long prescription. My time with the doc was fast because he was an hour behind schedule (he's a cancer doctor so I imagine he can get delayed with multiple questions from patients), so I'm hoping I caught everything he said in a rush. I'm cleared for activity as I'm able and I don't have to go back unless I have pain in the future, but any exams can be done by my General Practitioner.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register