What else do I need? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What else do I need? What else do I need?

Unread 04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
What else do I need?

I took a lot of stuff I didn't really need. What i did use were toothbrush, slippers, robe, lip balm hairbrush and something for gas. I had to lay on my back the first 2 weeks post op, but after then the body pillow was great. Also, when you get home have some games on your computer and some books to read and BE STILL until your body has time to heal. Good luck. You'll feel better sooner than you might expect if you take care of yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
What else do I need?

Thank you all for your responses! I knew I was forgetting alot!
I was just reading some of the responses to hubby and read Vikings about not hitting any bumps or potholes, we live WAY out in the country and we have a dirt driveway about a mile long. Told him maybe Ill just walk up the drive. he looked at me like I was nuts. LMBO

I have the games on the computer already. Ill get some magazines from work(theyre free that way).

Ive made a list and so far I think I only have to buy a few small items. Im going up to Cleveland next week to get my dads laptop, while Im there Ill sneak in some extra shopping and try to get some deals.

Once again, I thank you all for your responses!
My best wishes to all.
Unread 04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
What else do I need?

I need to get my bag ready yet. Let's see,
Chapstick
headlamp
Crocs
hiking staff
toothbrush and paste
chocolate for bribes
small pillow
GasX
some big ol' knickers!
Don't have that loose clothing, sweats will have to do.
Unread 04-23-2007, 04:31 PM
What else do I need?

I'm not a minimalist by nature (you should see my suitcase whenever I pack for anywhere ) but I'll be completely honest with you and say that this is all I used in the hospital:

Small notebook and pen (to jot down questions for docs/nurses when set in)
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Comb and hair binder (my hair was long)
Small light-up (battery-operated) alarm clock to put on my tray table
People magazine (I read it on day #3)

That's it. I wasn't about to wear my own pajamas, what with all of the lotions and potions they were liable to put all over me, plus whatever would leak out of me -- I didn't want to bother with the laundry. They wouldn't let me wear my own slippers for liability reasons. Music and games? I had all I could handle to run the remote control on the TV and order food three times a day. They had shower gel and shampoo, and there was no way I was messing with makeup or contacts.

In other words, I could have packed using a plastic grocery bag and I would have had plenty of room leftover! Also remember, if there's something you really need, you can always ask your family or friends to bring it for you. (Added bonus: The less you bring, the less you have to lug home. )

As for home, I absolutely agree that you should make your recovery spot comfy and keep things accessible. Movies, computer, etc. I thought I'd do alot of knitting, but I didn't really have the concentration for it until my leave was almost up. But I did go through pictures and organized them -- a good project.

Hope this helps.
Unread 04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
What else do I need?

I am even more of a minimalist than (((MJ))). All I brought was a hairbrush, toothbrush and toothpaste. I had another major surgery a few months ago, and again...that's all I brought, and all I needed.
Unread 04-23-2007, 05:21 PM
What else do I need?

Backscratcher was great idea I got off the HysterSister pre-op checkpoints. The pain meds made me itch all over.(Big time)
I also got a cami W/ a builtin "shelf bra". It did not have alot of support but it DID help with the jiggle. When you are walking the hall you don't want any extra movement. It was more comfy than a reg. bra.
Good luck
JCEE
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
What else do I need?

That's it! Sports bras so I don't jiggle in front of visitors.. I KNEW there was something!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register