Pre-op iron etc...what do I take??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op iron etc...what do I take??? Pre-op iron etc...what do I take???

Unread 03-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Pre-op iron etc...what do I take???

HI there,I hope you are all well.
I have had my tah date for april 26th and my library was closed today,so I couldn't do any research outside of my study and pc and I was wandering apart from iron tablets,is there any other suppliments I should be considering pre-op???

I only found out my date yesterday and boy have I learnt a lot from you lot already!!!!........thank you all sooo much!!!
I have started a journal tonight and I know questions to ask,pre and post op plans, recovery techniques and most of all not to be as scared of whats ahead because every time I visit this site(It's my bible now)I'm not alone.
Love and cwtches(thats welsh for hugs)
Helen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2004, 05:03 PM

My doctor just told me to take iron -- no specific brand. (Check with your dr.) In addition, if you are willing to spend a little extra money, there are some brands out there that don't cause constipation -- which can be a big issue after surgery. I find them at both health food stores and the grocery store by reading labels. (I'm 4 weeks post-op and have had no issues with bowel movements.)

Secondly, my doctor also recommended 1000 mg of Vitamin C daily to promote healing. Again, check with yours.

Deb
Unread 03-03-2004, 05:31 PM

You shouldn't be taking an iron supplement unless your doctor has told you that you should. If that's the case, follow his or her instructions as to dosing. There is nothing to be gained by taking iron supplements if you don't need them. And yes, iron supplements can cause constipation which is the last thing you need!

You should avoid taking any aspirin, aspirin-based products, anti-inflammatories (like Motrin, Aleve, Advil) as well as vitamin E for at least 10 days before your procedure. All of these products can inhibit blood clotting and can cause post-operative complications.

You really need to talk with you doctor before starting to take anything. And if you haven't been told you must take iron, don't!

Always consult your physician...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2004, 05:43 PM

HelenB:

You and I share the same surgery date, April 26th. I too am getting ready with some questions, both pre-op and post-op. Are you nervous yet? I have had a seven month waiting period for this surgery. my greatest fear now, is it may be postponed. I certainly hope not since i have had to wait and suffer for sooooo long. Hope to hear from you again, maybe closer to our date.

Good Luck, Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register