Scared with conflicting info | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared with conflicting info Scared with conflicting info

Unread 04-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Scared with conflicting info

Have complex hyperplasia with atypia and they have scheduled me for a hyst on May 22, 2007. Gyn wants to leave in my ovaries and cervix (but says that she will have these examined). Will have laproscopic surgery.

I have heard conflicting info about leaving the cervix and ovaries. I am only 36, not overweight, but am done having kids (have 3).

I heard if you leave ovaries, since the atypical cells are estrogen fed - it is asking for trouble. Yet, I have researched that even with Estrogen Replacement therapy - taking the ovaries puts you at risk of early death, heart problems, etc - not to mention early menopause.

Anyone had complex with atypia at a younger age and left in the cervix or ovaries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2007, 04:53 PM

Hi Christacey,
I am having a complete hyst soon. I am 40 with 3 children so taking my ovaries and cervix doesn't bother me. I guess I feel that my chances of living a longer life are greater without my ovaries and cervix since they are the things threathening my life now. I guess you just have to weigh the options. I say get healthy and be positive about the decision you make.

Good Luck
Unread 04-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Given your precancerous condition it would be a good idea, IMO, to consult with a gynecologic oncologist before your surgery. Not to scare you, but there are many stories about women who have had their hysterectomies done by their regular gyn only to discover afterward that the hyperplasia had progressed to early stage cancer and then they have had to go through more surgery to get a staging.

The gyn/onc may tell you that it's ok for your gyn to do the surgery, but he/she would be available should a consult be needed, or the surgery need to be turned over to them.

Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2007, 05:39 PM

I was reading what you wrote and it alerted me to something I didn't even consider. Given my family history not to mention my own, consulting an Oncologist/Gyne would be a great idea. Is it ok to consult without having confirmation of cancer?
Unread 04-18-2007, 06:34 PM

christacey & newlife, I'm not trying to scare you either.
I was diagnoses with complex hyperplasia with atypia also after a biopsy came back neg for cancer. I then had a D&C done. The GYN/OB didn't like what she saw sent those tissues to path where they found early stage cancer.
I second getting the GYN/Onocologist for a second opinion before your surgery. After my diagnosis, I had to get a CT scan, xrays, and a colonscopy done before I saw the onocologist.
Unread 04-26-2007, 09:03 PM

Found a new doctor who consults and has available access to an Onc/Gyn and wants to do my surgery sooner. My new doctor states he is doing an LAVH (removing cervix) – he may remove ovaries but he wants to check them out first since I am only 36, healthy, not overweight, etc. My new Gyn is older (61) but has many years of training and keeps up to date on things. So, my new hysterectomy date is May 4! Thank you for giving me encouragement!
Unread 04-27-2007, 02:50 AM

I am so glad you persued this and found your Dr. You can hear in your posting your confidence in your decision and really IMO that's a big plus when it comes to recovery.

You've only got a few days, best wishes.

Julie
Unread 04-27-2007, 07:13 AM

Thanks brat46, I did contact an gyn/oncologist yesterday. I see my doc today for pre-op and thanks to all of the support here and info, I now have all of the questions I need answered to put my mind at ease.

Everyone here has been so helpful and positive. Thanks again.
Bonnie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register