Hysterectomy in 2 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy in 2 weeks Hysterectomy in 2 weeks

Unread 03-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Hysterectomy in 2 weeks

Hi there I'm new. I'm having a Hysterectomy in 2 weeks very scared. I'm 28 and have a little girl of 16 months, so scared I will not be able to look after her, daddy is here to help. How long before I can drive and heal completely. Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Re: Hysterectomy in 2 weeks

Hi pruis to HysterSisters!

First, your emotions and fears are very normal. This is a difficult surgery to face and to digest.

Although everyone is different, recovery from this surgery takes time. For initial recovery, think weeks and not days. You will need help with your little one, as well as cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will be on lifting restrictions - probably 10 lbs for six weeks and 20 lbs eight weeks. You will need to take time off work, how long depends on how fast you heal and what your job requirements are. Again, though think weeks and not days.

For driving, you will not be allowed to drive until you can hit the brake very hard, turn the wheel very hard, and look over your shoulder without discomfort. Essentially safely operate the vehicle in all conditions. I could not drive until 3 weeks post-op.

Essentially you are looking at maybe 3 to 6 weeks (maybe more) for initial recovery before you SLOWLY start to move back into your life. For 100% complete recovery where no thought at all is given to surgery can take 6, 12, 15, or even 18 months.

Again, everyone is different, and healing happens at different rates for different people. The most important thing is to follow your doctors orders to the letter, and to listen to your body carefully - it will let you know if you push to hard.

Always know that you are not alone in this. We are her to help and support you. We will be by your side throughout this.

Unread 03-11-2014, 11:21 PM

Hi there marestail, thank you for replying. I'm am very nerves and so so scared. I had 2 c-sections with the birth of my kids so I know how that feels because the doctor said it feel like a c-section. Hopefully it does . Thanks for your advise I really appreciate it a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2014, 07:29 PM

There is debate on how similar a c-section is to a hysterectomy. Here is an article for you on the subject:
Abdominal Hysterectomy vs. C-Section

Unread 03-13-2014, 12:50 AM

I had a TVH and I was not allowed to drive for 1 week but didn't feel comfortable driving until about week 2
Unread 03-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Hysterectomy in 2 weeks

I think I'm not going for the AH I'm still very young 28. I'm going to try out the pill first and see if that will my the pain less and my period less aswell. I hope its the right decision.
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:12 PM

pruis -

You are very young at age 28 to have a hysterectomy. This surgery should be done when no other option presents itself. The pill route sounds like something good to try to see if it addresses your situation. If that does not work, you can also get other opinions from other doctors to see if there are other alternatives.

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. Hope this works!

Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register