Haven't told anyone yet... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Haven't told anyone yet... Haven't told anyone yet...

Unread 04-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Haven't told anyone yet...

Is is weird that I haven't told anyone yet? I just don't want everyone harping over me an and worrying. I'm planning on telling everyone this weekend (surgey is Tuesday), but hubby can't understand why I haven't told anyone yet...
I just don't want to keep talking about it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Re: Haven't told anyone yet...

You are not weird at all - I understand exactly what you mean. I didn't want to talk about it either, I only told those who absolutely had to know and then only at the very last minute. Even that was too many - they all had stories about other people (never themselves) who had the op and wanted to tell the whole story!! There will be plenty of time afterwards to talk about it and then only if you want to.

To say don't worry about it is, I know, silly but the lead up to the op really is the most stressful part. Once you are there on Tuesday I'm sure you will feel much calmer, I know I was. It was like the point of no return - I'm here - so just let's just get on with it.

Best wishes for Tuesday.
Unread 04-02-2009, 04:11 AM

Hi,
I also didn't tell many people but I regretted later that when it got closer to the time I still held back because after surgery the people who knew sent me wonderful GET WELL CARDS. And I was sorry I didn't get more of them! (A very nice friend sent a few extras.)

Best wishes, take good care!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM

I have only told two people and my Hubby (of course). One was a friend that has had a Hyst before, so I wanted to get some info. The other was a girlfriend at work that I confide in. Because I am not even certain if my date will change I haven't told by boss. I will be more comfortable telling my boss once the date is more confirmed ((Hopefully Monday))

As for everyone else, I'm afraid to tell them. I don't like people feeling sorry for me and I'm afraid that if I tell them I'll have to explain why I need this done, which I really don't want to have to go through.

The worst one will be my dad. He will be going out of state for 6 months and this will be done while he will be gone. I know it will make him very worried and he'll feel bad that he won't be able to be there.
Unread 04-02-2009, 07:06 AM

I was very tight-lipped about my surgery, not wanting a big fuss. Aside from close family and just a couple of friends, I just didn't discuss it.

The family is a thriving grapevine, so they all knew. It was alright, though. They were not obtrusive in any way.

I have been forced to tell more people post-op, because I have had to decline invitations or volunteer requests due to restrictions. It's all good though, and it's your surgery is yours - tell or don't tell whomever you like.
Unread 04-02-2009, 07:17 AM

I was exactly the same back in February before my surgery. Only my husband, best friend and mom knew. I didn't want anyone feeling like they should "check in" on me.

The toughest part was my church. I LOVE my church and the people there but I didn't want word to get out because another mom there recently had a hysterectomy and everyone was "scheduled" to go to her house to cook or whatever. I DID NOT want visitors. Love them, but just didn't want it. When I'm sick all I need is a soft bed and the privacy to sleep it off.

;-)
Unread 04-02-2009, 01:52 PM

I've told those close to me, mom, dad, step-mom, sister, close family friend who is like a second mom, and a couple really close friends. Oh and of course my hubby, and no one has made a big deal. If anything they all act like nothings happening. LOL

Could be cause my surgery is still 5 weeks away. They have all offered help, which is nice. And I also sent them all a letter telling them what they could do for me in the weeks leading up to my surgery. First thing on the list, "support me but don't smother me"! LOL
Unread 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM

I didn't tell a lot of people either because when I did tell them they tried to talk me out of it ...I wanted the choice to plan the surgery and not have it an emergency and that is where I was headed so I stopped telling people .One of my friends found out while I was in the hospital and then told my Sister in law and she called me upset that I did not tell her .I just told her the truth why I stopped telling people.
Unread 04-02-2009, 08:06 PM

I only told a few close friends and family members mostly because my husband was nervous about the surgery and I hate being the center of attention. After my surgery went well on March 16th, I gave our pastor's wife (after much encouragement) the okay to put on our church email prayer chain that I had successful surgery to "relieve pain". The post surgery support has been wonderful. There is no right or wrong way to let people know what is going on. You need to do what is right for you and your family. My doctor took some great pictures of the grapefruit sized fibroids he removed and if anyone gets too noisy I just show them the pictures. They are very sympathetic! Best wish on your surgery.

DJ311
TAH/ovarian cyst removed/hernia repair
Unread 04-02-2009, 10:56 PM

I only told everyone because I knew I would need help & would not be able to do the things for other that I usually do. It is a personal choice though totally.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register