Is this foul-odor drainage after hysto and bladder sling normal? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this foul-odor drainage after hysto and bladder sling normal? Is this foul-odor drainage after hysto and bladder sling normal?

Unread 03-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Is this foul-odor drainage after hysto and bladder sling normal?

Mindgames4one

I had a TVH just like you I did not have abdominal, I think you cannot take a bath because water my get inside. I do not know but it is worth a phone call to your Doctor's office. I am not running a fever or anything so I do not think I have a infection but I did not ask anything like I should have, I had a whole list of things to ask him and I did then he said he wanted to do the sonogram and gave me a opointment for 4-5-04 and I left. When I got home I started thinking about it, It was not on my list of guestions LOL.

Thanks for the imput

~Irishck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 01:49 PM

whoa-- guess I'd better make a call then, irishck! I hope the bath turns out to be ok for me-- they were the nicest part of my day!!

My doctor really didn't tell me much of anything about ANYTHING! No real limits or restricitons-- just told me whatever I felt up to! Except driving-- he said none while I was on any pain pills...which I never DID take any vicodan, only the 600 mg motrin which I haven't taken much at all, either. 80% of the bottle is still there. I have been putting my OWN restrictions on myself! Oh, and he restricted my lifting. Nothing over 10 pounds this first couple of weeks, and then nothing EVER again that makes me want to grunt when I lift it-- which is just about anything, so I laughed when he said that. He said to think of myself as having a 25 pound lifetime limit, and less if even this makes me grunt.

So much for doctor's instructions. But I guess I can see this, because it seems like they all are saying different things, anyway!
Unread 03-31-2004, 02:12 PM

This is my first day here & I have lots of questions. I'm getting the impression that with an abdominal I won't be taking baths any time soon. Is that correct? Also-what is a grade 3 cystocele in regards to bladder supension surgery? How was it determined that you had a bladder problem? I have though for quite a while that there was something wrong with my bladder-I urinate so many times a day that it is not even funny. I will go & I swear not even 2 minutes later I have to go again. I am having everything removed due to fibroids, bleeding & pain all the time, enlarged uterus. Any input for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 08:11 AM
bladder function/baths

DMQ, You will be thrilled to know that not only will your belly be flatter after your hysterectomy, unless you get the swelly belly that some of the ladies talk about, you will also...should also...get relief from those bladder problems!!! I had the same problems as you with the urinary frequency, difficulty emptying my bladder, having to go several times in a row, up several times a night. I always had a feeling that there was something wrong with my bladder.

Well, your bladder is going to have an eviction party after your hysterectomy!! My bladder has never been so happy. My uterus was so large, that it was pressing on my bladder. So, my bladder was cramped up and couldn't function properly. The difference in function is night and day. Things are still not perfect. I still tend to have urethral spasms, stopping the flow of the urine in mid-stream. But, my bladder is able to hold more...usually not having to go to the bathroom the whole night now and for hours at a time...and is able to empty so much more and so much better at one time. It will act a bit shell shocked at first, but will slowly settle in to it's new spacious living accomodations. You should be as thrilled as I am. I never realized how much discomfort I was really in for so long.

Also, my doc told me that it was ok to take baths...I had a LAVH. I just made sure I didn't open my legs too wide so the water wouldn't go inside too far. Remember..NOTHING in the vagina for 6 weeks! Bathing rules might be different for the abdominal hysterectomies.
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Is this foul- odor

mindgames4one

I hope I am wron too. I have always loved to take baths at night it helps me sleep when I have had a bad or long day, that is why at my two week check up I asked if I could take a bath now and he said NO not untill after your six week checkup. I just stand in a hot shower instead.

Let me know what happens Good luck

~Irishck~
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:23 AM

Thank you so much for your reply! I wasn't getting much response so far & I was starting to feel kind of left out! That is very hopeful news regarding the whole bladder thing. I have been trying to get doctors to listen to me for a long time now & it has always seemed like they all thought that I was exagerating my problems. I have had problems for like the last two years but they have escalated so far in the last month. I have pain almost all the time. Today I am bleeding heavy again & have really bad pain on my right lower side that goes all the way to my back & down my leg. My surgery is in 20 days & I really can't wait to have it done. I am getting nervous about some of the women talking about problems with gas & bloating after surgery. I apparently have IBS any way & am worried that I will really have problems with that. I just had a colonoscopy done last week. They did remove a polp & am waiting for results from the biopsy. I really want to get this over with & start feeling like myself again. Thanks so much for your support!
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:31 AM

Cat,
Can you explain what this "swelly Belly" thing is? Is that what I've been hearing about with all the gas & pain & not being able to have a bm? Thanks! DMQ
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:41 AM
gas/bloating/BMs

Oh yes, I forgot to mention to you. Be sure to take GasX after your surgery and any time you start to feel a little gas pain. It will keep the gas from accumulating in your intestines and allow it to pass out more easily. Also, take stool softeners before your first BM after the surgery and each day if there is a hint of it being hard or having to strain. Straining can put pressure on your internal or external stitches and can cause problems with healing.

A lot of women get swelling in their bellies after their surgeries. I gained an inch in my waist after my surgery, but it went away within the first week and has gone down a half inch since then. So, I didn't get that problem..fortunately. I think some of it may have to do with the abdominal incision, but not sure.
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:44 AM

Interesting about the bathing!
I had a TAH 4 weeks ago and the nurses had me in the bath by day 3!!! It was easier than trying to stand in the shower, and no one suggested not bathing at all. Personally I think I'd have felt yukky without a bath..obviously I haven't 'scubbed' anything ionside but water by itself doesn't seem to have done any harm and I feel cleaner!!!

Juliex
TAH 3rd March 04 started driving again today...yeah
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:49 AM

This probably sounds stupid but what does TAH stand for? I'm thinking Total Abdominal Hysterectomy. What doe LAVH stand for? I am seeing alot of abreviations & terms that I'm not sure of what they stand for. Any help would be appreciated!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register