Other virgins who had a hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Other virgins who had a hysterectomy? Other virgins who had a hysterectomy?

Unread 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Other virgins who had a hysterectomy?

Since I'm not sure if my situation is unique I'm just going to go ahead and ask....Am I the only virgin whose had to undergo a hysterectomy on this site? I have to admit, I feel like a bit of a freak, especially since I'm nearly 34 and have never even made out with anyone. Is there anyone else in the same boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2008, 12:39 AM

Sotherina, you are not a freak. I am right there with you (and two years older, I might add!). I chose not to "be" with anyone because of my Catholic upbringing - I was taught to wait for the right one. And that one would be my husband. Well... the pain came first.

I had many tests and treatments and pills and opinions. The final option was to go through with the surgery (TAH/BSO). It was the best thing I could have done. I am four weeks post op and four weeks pain free. With all that has gone on, I don't even think about "doing it", missing out on the experience or whether my night in shining denim will come along. I'm just happy to be alive and without the pain that's been weighing me down for nearly a year.

Now, when someone asks if I have any kids I tell them, "Two. They're just hairy and walk on all fours!!"
Unread 07-22-2008, 12:54 AM

Whew, it is SUCH a relief to know that I'm not alone. I'm also from a catholic family. I'm also the only unmarried member of my family. My parents have never pressured me to pair up but sometimes I can't help feeling like I've disappointed them.

I'm not sorry that I had the hysterectomy at all, it's a relief not to worry if I've got enough "supplies" to get through a period. Oh wow, I just realized our surgeries were only 3 days apart . The craziest thing about it is that my nephews are thrilled that their auntie will FINALLY have the energy to keep up with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2008, 05:35 AM

It is a shame you have to think of yourself as a "freak" for being a virgin, I think there is nothing wrong with it at all. I remember going to a GYN, a male, when I was about 20 & he made me feel like I was weird because at that time I was still a virgin. What a jerk, I never went back to him again.
Unread 07-22-2008, 09:47 AM

You are not a freak and don't ever say that about yourself. You have done the right thing by waiting and in this day and age it is not an easy thing to do. I was a virgin before I got married and have never regreted it. Now my daughter, who is close to your age, is still a virgin and I am proud of her for it. I'm sure your parents are proud of you too. Besides the moral reasons for waiting, there are all those nasty diseases out there to get and who needs that? You just keep on keeping on!
Unread 07-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Hey there

Sign me up for membership in the freak club!!!! I love this site because you can talk about this stuff and not feel like a freak.

I am a 42 year old VIRGIN BY CHOICE - yep, you read it right. I am waiting for the man that GOD has for me. (I admit that HE may have sent him and I missed him ) I have tried to live the life that GOD wants for me. So instead of settling for Mr. Right Now, I am waiting for Mr. Right!!!

I am just so happy that GOD has brought me to this place where I am healthy and that I can "Delight myself in the LORD ..."

Blessings on you ....
Unread 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM

All of you are such an inspiration! God bless you all.

Jess
XOXO
Unread 07-22-2008, 11:17 AM

Thank you ladies..I really needed to hear that So how long does it take before hormones get back to normal?
Unread 07-22-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotherina
Thank you ladies..I really needed to hear that So how long does it take before hormones get back to normal?
By the time I entered my third post-op month, I think my hormones had reclaimed their righful place!!!!

I guess everyone is different, but for me it was a welcomed return. I have to tell you that this surgery has left me with some crazy sensitivities though and I think that it must be hormonal. For instance, I can't stand to be in crowded places now. Pre-op, it never bothered me to go to a mall. Now, I only go during the week on my day off. I am also hyper-sensitive to smells. When I first came home, I NEEDED candles burning all the time. It's not as bad now, but I am still overly sensitive to smells (and it's not bad smells - flowers, certain cakes, and eggs that are being cooked in any style)

Sorry for the ramble, you got me thinking ....
Unread 07-22-2008, 01:32 PM

I have to say, I'm impressed with this group of women. I 100% respect and admire the decision you've made!

As far as hormones go... I'm almost at 8 weeks and I seem to finally be getting better. The hot flashes are nearly gone as well as the night sweats. The one thing that is sticking around for me is of course, the mood swings... Also, and I don't know if this is hormonal or just surgery related, I've not been able to eat ground beef since surgery without getting sick. I've no idea what that is about because I really did enjoy a good burger before surgery. So, we'll see if that evens out in time as well!

I hope you get back to yourself soon! I know it is frustrating not quite feeling like we used to...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register