Morbidly obese post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Morbidly obese post hysterectomy Morbidly obese post hysterectomy

Unread 08-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Morbidly obese post hysterectomy

Ladies I would like to thank all of you for your stories, advice and words of kindness on this site. I started visiting this site in late June when I learned I needed a hysterectomy. Hopefully, I can be of help to someone who has questions and/or concerns.

I'm 42. I'm morbidly obese weighing 398lbs and standing at 5'9. I had 17 fibroids, two of them were huge. My doctor opted for a laparoscopic hysterectomy. However, she said that if it didn't work she would have to switch to an abdominal hysterectomy. I was in surgery for six and a half hours. My tubes and cervix were supposed to have been removed also but due to the length of the surgery she had to leave them in. I came home the same night of surgery. I was in recovery for a few hours where I walked around the ward and used the restroom at least three times.

My surgery was Monday, August 1 and today is Thursday, August 4 and I am walking around and taking care of myself. I've been walking up and down stairs since the first day because my restroom is on a different floor than my bedroom. It was hard getting in and out of bed the first two days. I primarily sleep on my back on a lot of propped up pillows. My friend slept over the first night but I've been by myself since then. I'm taking percocet only at night now and taking Tylenol extra strength during the day only when in pain. I have severe gas and have not moved my bowels yet. I'm also taking shots of lovenox because I have a history of blood clots.

As all of the women have said before, WALK. WALK, WALk! It makes a very big difference in recovery. As a woman of size, it may be a little harder to get out of bed but you can do it!!! I plan to walk outside tomorrow when my friend comes over.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Re: Morbidly obese post op

Hello there and to the Other Side!

Definitely drink up on your water. Rest in between your walking. Remember to talk one day at a time. Listen to your body during your recovery.

Share more with sisters that had surgery the same week you did here: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 01-Aug 07,2016

You got this sister!
*hugs*
Unread 08-04-2016, 06:18 PM

I'm glad you're doing well, and impressed that you're doing stairs so soon...i avoided them as much as possible for at least a week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2016, 06:40 PM

Glad you are doing well. I actually found it mire comfy to sleep on recliner or sofa. Plus it makes it easier to get up. Sore abs occur. Mine were soo weak post op. Youre doing right by walking & water. Keep doing it thru the day w breaks of rest. Peppermint tea for gas & smaller meals & snacks throughout the day vs 3 meals. Restrict the starchy carbs bread, rice & pasta & apples, prunes, veggies, magnesium, nuts, pumpkin seeds, popcorn. Olive oil over salad- it lubricates the GI track. Smoothies w yogurt, berries, banana, flax seeds, spinach & ice work & taste great. More water. Oh, drinking w a straw adds to bloat & gas.

💐Take care 💐
Unread 08-05-2016, 06:29 AM

Thank you for all your well wishes! I've been drinking peppermint tea and taking stool softeners. This morning was my first bowel movement!! Small but it happened! I'm happy about that.

I do have to remember to rest more and to eat because I'm not really hungry. I've been eating yogurt and homemade soup for the past few days. I had some fruits also.

Good luck ladies!!!
Unread 08-05-2016, 06:43 AM

Constipation can cause gas to become trapped in your colon, so now that your bowels are moving, you should find some relief. I'm glad to hear you're walking regularly, because that's the absolute best thing you can do to keep things moving. I'm also glad to hear that you're eating yogurt, because that can help to rebalance the bacteria in your intestinal tract, which may have been affected by the surgical antibiotics. Adding spinach to your smoothies is another great idea, because it's high in magnesium, and it's what helped to get things moving for me; pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate are two more excellent sources. Another way to encourage regularity is to sit on the toilet right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in As for foods to avoid, my list includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 08-05-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2jc View Post
Thank you for all your well wishes! I've been drinking peppermint tea and taking stool softeners. This morning was my first bowel movement!! Small but it happened! I'm happy about that.

I do have to remember to rest more and to eat because I'm not really hungry. I've been eating yogurt and homemade soup for the past few days. I had some fruits also.

Good luck ladies!!!
Ugh, me & my typos on my cell.. That was to eat the apples, prunes, veggies, etc...

We dont have much appetite, possibly for a few weeks, so lite snacks work. Tiger_Eye recommendations are great.

Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register